2018 Southland Football

21,761 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
CertifiedAxeman98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

McNeese went out and got Sterlin Gilbert.

Good hire for them. I figured he would end up with a small FBS program. If Keeler can get things back on track at SAM next year and UIW/Nicholls/Lamar continue to keep their level of play up the SL will be tough FCS conference. I wish the SL schools would invest more in Basketball.
SFAJack_76
This should be interesting. SLC schools stepping out if their comfort zones. I like it.
cboothe09
The comments on the thread are gold. Love this hire from a SFA standpoint. Wonder if the admin there are having buyers remorse...
TallTexan
The USF fans are loving that hire.

Who else did they interview. With the schools he coached at, you'd think 9 times out of 10 it'd be a home run hire for an SLC program.

I have enough questions from his time at Texas/USF that I'm glad we didn't hire him, but we'll see if it works out at McNeese.
SFAJack_76
McNeese State (FCS LA): Head coach Sterlin Gilbert has retained Tyler Bolfing (TEs), Alec Osborne (DEs), & Landon Hoefer (OC / WRs) as part of his new staff, per source.
SFAJack_76
Gilbert building a nice staff with a lot of D1 experience. From footballscoop.com.

McNeese (FCS LA): Sterlin Gilbert has now made the following hires official: Matt Mattox (offensive coordinator), Lanear Sampson (receivers), Jeff Lepak (receivers), Derek Shay (tight ends), Jim Gush (defensive coordinator), Nick Graham (defensive backs) and Brody Trahan (linebackers).
TallTexan
He was able to hire Mattox? I'd think that'd be a step down in pay from USF right?
SFASawmillGuy
McNeese will be tough to beat next year. They replaced Tabary at QB near the end of the season with a tremendous athlete. I think we'll see a lot more variety in their offense from what we've been seeing with them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.