Holy Tie-Breaker mess

2,503 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I don't know if anyone else has been paying attention to the tie-break scenario/cluster going on with the Southland baseball tournament, but it's gotten really strange and including some things I've never heard of. The league ended up having an unwritten bylaw that cancelled out the original ruling for a three-way tie. Here's what happened.

UNO, Nicholls, and Corpus were tied for the final 2 spots. They didn't all play each other, so that first tiebreaker is gone and goes to the highest finishing common opponent. They didn't all play #1 Sam or #2 SLU. HBU and NWST finished tied for third, not all played HBU but they all played NWST. For some reason, the language speaks that because HBU/NWST tied, they are considered one team instead of two separate teams. WHAT. Therefore, the tiebreak continues and goes to #5 UCA. Nicholls swept UCA, so they get the #7 seed. So now Corpus and UNO are remaining, and UNO swept Corpus giving them the 8th and final seed. Corpus is left out.

There were a lot of tweets from people labeling certain teams as in or eliminated, and were wrong. Goodness.
nacluth
Yep, tiebreakers in the Southland are ridiculous. Someone needs to help clean them up.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Yep, tiebreakers in the Southland are ridiculous. Someone needs to help clean them up.

That's an understatement. One of the reasons I'd like to jet out of this conference given the opportunity.

I didn't know tie-breakers got any dumber than the basketball one, but that sounds insane.
SFAJack_76
I didn't hear anyone complain when SFA softball got the two seed from a three way tie for second. Not that it mattered....

I do agree there are some crazy scenarios.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I suppose there's someone in Frisco in a smoke-filled, dark back room, armed with an eraserless #2 pencil and a Big Chief tablet whose job it is to come up with this lunacy. Has to have an A&M engineering degree.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.