Southland Football 2018

5,054 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SLU adds transfer from Georgia

OL: Pat Allen 6-4; 305 Reisterstown, MD. (Franklin/Georgia) (JR.) **** #4 State (MD.) #17 OT; #206 Nation

Already had red shirt season and has started 1 game, looking for new start.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

SLU adds transfer from Georgia

OL: Pat Allen 6-4; 305 Reisterstown, MD. (Franklin/Georgia) (JR.) **** #4 State (MD.) #17 OT; #206 Nation

Already had red shirt season and has started 1 game, looking for new start.
Must have been some coach, family, or other connection. There are many, much better FCS options than SLU.
TallTexan
Man, I hope this season turns out well. Been too many years of what if with the football team.
SFA88
Sam Houston lands a OL transfer from Ohio State https://twitter.com/Burrell_69/status/993887538233430017?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
PurpleOut
Staff
Saw an interesting note from overall sports attendance:

Quote:

The Southland Conference at the FCS level set a single-season conference record with 472,342 total fans attending games in 2017.
Interesting read: http://footballfoundation.org/News/NewsDetail/News/2017-18-report-amazing-college-football-popularity-highlighted-by-impressive-ratings-and-attendance-data
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Saw an interesting note from overall sports attendance:

Quote:

The Southland Conference at the FCS level set a single-season conference record with 472,342 total fans attending games in 2017.
Interesting read: http://footballfoundation.org/News/NewsDetail/News/2017-18-report-amazing-college-football-popularity-highlighted-by-impressive-ratings-and-attendance-data

Man, that's a lot of data! Can you give me the Reader's Digest version, Purple?? (JUST KIDDING!)
TallTexan
Some interesting numbers. Are these possibly attainable for SFA if we had a winning program?

Quote:

Montana claimed the FCS attendance title for a fourth consecutive season, drawing an average of 23,535 fans per home game for a total of 141,212 spectators in 2017. James Madison (21,724) landed in the No. 2 spot with Florida A&M (19,048), Yale (18,940) and Montana State (18,617) rounding out the top five.
Thanks for sharing!
BigJack85
With some modest enrollment increases, say like we got above 14,500 and a 8-3 or better record a couple of years consecutive and we could average 14k
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

With some modest enrollment increases, say like we got above 14,500 and a 8-3 or better record a couple of years consecutive and we could average 14k

If we pulled in the sides of Homer Bryce and moved the track, 14k avg attendance would provide a heck of a home field advantage and a fun atmosphere.

Although I'm not sure what's a more audacious goal at the moment, SFA hitting 14.5k, renovating the stadium, or winning in football.
PurpleOut
Staff
My old stadium design was for 12k, and was closer to the field and had stands all around 3/4 of the stadium. Would be a top notch FCS stadium.

Will never happen though. Unless our new AD blows our mind.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

My old stadium design was for 12k, and was closer to the field and had stands all around 3/4 of the stadium. Would be a top notch FCS stadium.

That was a pretty sweet stadium design. Maybe we'll get lucky. When we hired Hill, making the tourney every year was only a dream as well, now we're talking about getting over the hump to our first sweet 16.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Some interesting numbers. Are these possibly attainable for SFA if we had a winning program?

Quote:

Montana claimed the FCS attendance title for a fourth consecutive season, drawing an average of 23,535 fans per home game for a total of 141,212 spectators in 2017. James Madison (21,724) landed in the No. 2 spot with Florida A&M (19,048), Yale (18,940) and Montana State (18,617) rounding out the top five.
Thanks for sharing!
NDSU is the gold standard of winning in the FCS, but I feel like Montana has the football culture that every FCS program should strive to be like. I remember when we played there(and the infamous photographs of Jeremy Moses and the rest of the team pulling a varsity blues the night before the game) the crowd was sold out. The crowd noise was very comparable to a top level FBS school. If Montana wanted to make the jump to FBS, they absolutely could.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

Thanks for sharing!
NDSU is the gold standard of winning in the FCS, but I feel like Montana has the football culture that every FCS program should strive to be like. I remember when we played there(and the infamous photographs of Jeremy Moses and the rest of the team pulling a varsity blues the night before the game) the crowd was sold out. The crowd noise was very comparable to a top level FBS school. If Montana wanted to make the jump to FBS, they absolutely could.
You just HAD to bring up that fiasco in the frozen tundra of Montana, didn't you??? I caught the flu just watching it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

How about going down in the dungeon and pulling out a pic of that stadium design, just as a reminder, Matt?
TallTexan
Man I remember what it felt like to be good in football and to clean Sam's clock with a 42-3 drubbing. Those were the days, even if the polar vortex in Montana unfairly hindered our team.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Man I remember what it felt like to be good in football and to clean Sam's clock with a 42-3 drubbing. Those were the days, even if the polar vortex in Montana unfairly hindered our team.

I think more than the polar vortex hindered that team....
That was likely the best team in SFA history with really only one bad game under their belt(that being that playoff game). That team could've probably won the National title if they survived Montana.
The next years team was good, but not quite as good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.