2018 SLC Commissioners Cup

6,423 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any idea where we stand in the Commissioners Cup standings as we close in on the last couple of weeks of the season?
PurpleForever
Men Women Total
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN 39.5 56.5 96.0
LAMAR 35.5 48.5 84.0
CENTRAL ARKANSAS 38.0 43.0 81.0
MCNEESE 36.5 42.5 79.0
SAM HOUSTON STATE 43.0 35.0 78.0
ABILENE CHRISTIAN 23.0 43.5 66.5
A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI 15.0 44.0 59.0
SOUTHEASTERN LA. 32.5 20.5 53.0
UIW 22.5 26.5 52.0
NORTHWESTERN STATE 22.5 28.0 50.5
HOUSTON BAPTIST 12.5 32.5 45.0
NICHOLLS 24.0 19.5 43.5
NEW ORLEANS 12.5 15.0 27.5
nacluth
Yeah, we've had a decent lead (mainly due to the women's dominance), but these totals are through basketball. We're going to drop some ground with the end of tennis and golf. Softball will hopefully help offset baseball some. It will come down to track like always. Thankfully that has been a strong positive for us, hopefully it will be enough to get the job done.
PurpleOut
Staff
I've done the math* with adding Golf and Tennis to the standings (only for the top 5 teams). And it's basically even. Our women have been doing great...until Golf and Tennis. Lamar gets a huge boost for being only 1 of 6 schools with Men's Tennis. So, with just Track, Baseball and Softball left these should be the updated standings to win the cup:

SFA - 117
Lamar - 117
UCA - 112
Sam - 112
McNeese - 111

If you were to add points based on current Baseball and Softball standings, it would look like this:

UCA - 132
SFA -130
Sam - 130
McNeese - 130
Lamar - 127

Long story short, we still have a very good chance to win, and yes will come down to track. Unfortunately Sam swept both Indoor titles. Thanks again to the baseball program.

*I'm not good at math, and could have easily miscounted standings, so don't hold me to this. I've asked Mycoskie for a real update.
PurpleOut
Staff
The standings after baseball/softball may actually be off by a few points since their are current ties in the standings. Ties will have .5 of points.
SFA Jack Fanatic

Why does Lamar get points for men's tennis but women's bowling gets no points? I realize that the Southland Bowling League is a separate entity from the SLC, but it appears that the SLC needs to rethink how some points are awarded in those sports in which only a few teams participate.

I agree with you. Looks like Track will have to pull this one out for us.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah I don't know about bowling. I get your point, but I don't think we should get any points for that since it's just us and Sam. Great question though.
nacluth
I would think it's because it involves teams from other conferences. So straight points like 13 for first but then do you give 10 for fourth if second and third aren't in the SLC? It is weird that it's the Southland's most nationally competitive sport, but not included. Oh well.

The thing that gets me with the Cup points are the sports with less than 13 teams. The winner still gets 13 points and last place may get somewhere between 3 and 6 points. The max points should be how many teams play. It gives teams that compete in men's tennis a huge advantage. Of course it's made to level the sports, but it's still a bizarre statistical choice.

Thanks Matt for the breakdown. I was finger counting for a while, but you've confirmed my original thought. Need some end of the year track magic.
PurpleOut
Staff
Not sure on the difference, but my numbers were off.

SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I would think it's because it involves teams from other conferences. So straight points like 13 for first but then do you give 10 for fourth if second and third aren't in the SLC? It is weird that it's the Southland's most nationally competitive sport, but not included. Oh well.

The thing that gets me with the Cup points are the sports with less than 13 teams. The winner still gets 13 points and last place may get somewhere between 3 and 6 points. The max points should be how many teams play. It gives teams that compete in men's tennis a huge advantage. Of course it's made to level the sports, but it's still a bizarre statistical choice.

Thanks Matt for the breakdown. I was finger counting for a while, but you've confirmed my original thought. Need some end of the year track magic.
Yeah. Ladyjack Bowling finished SIXTH IN THE NATION, has the NATIONAL CHAMPION BOWLER, and gets ZERO Commissioners Cup points. Makes no sense!! The points system punishes both SFA and (I hate to say it) Prison Tech.
nacluth
Still in first! Eat it Lamar.
nacluth
Ok, my very fuzzy math shows us staying away from Sam by 4 or 5 points to win another Cup. Hope I added right!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Ok, my very fuzzy math shows us staying away from Sam by 4 or 5 points to win another Cup. Hope I added right!
Well, your very fuzzy math is probably better than Sam's best math, so we'll take it.
PurpleOut
Staff
If only baseball could help us out by not finishing 2nd to last. An extra point or 2 may be crucial for the Cup.
PurpleForever
Just did the math. We have officially mathematically sealed the deal. Sam Houston will finish with 147 points, and even if baseball gets last we will have 148 points. WE DID IT AGAIN!
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleForever said:

Just did the math. We have officially mathematically sealed the deal. Sam Houston will finish with 147 points, and even if baseball gets last we will have 148 points. WE DID IT AGAIN!
I hope you're right. Too close to call.....
PurpleForever
edstile said:

PurpleForever said:

I hope you're right. Too close to call.....

All sports are final so the only points to estimate are baseball. I gave Sam Houston the most points and SFA the least and we come out ahead by one point. If we don't win then i need somebody from the conference to call me.
nacluth
Ok. I did the math, and we lost to Sam, so no 4th Cup. I added every sport individually, and we lost. The reason that I believe that we thought we were in it is because the tweet by the Southland (look up about 6 posts) said that the then current totals needed just Track/Field, baseball and softball. This was wrong. Tennis had not been included. It was the girls' worst sport statistically against Sam - losing 7.5 points. It pales in comparison to the guy's worst baseball - which is going to give up 11 points to Sam.

Sorry to say, no 4th Cup in a row. We will lose by a combined 5.5 points. Sorry Jacks.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleForever
nacluth said:

Ok. I did the math, and we lost to Sam, so no 4th Cup. I added every sport individually, and we lost. The reason that I believe that we thought we were in it is because the tweet by the Southland (look up about 6 posts) said that the then current totals needed just Track/Field, baseball and softball. This was wrong. Tennis had not been included. It was the girls' worst sport statistically against Sam - losing 7.5 points. It pales in comparison to the guy's worst baseball - which is going to give up 11 points to Sam.

Sorry to say, no 4th Cup in a row. We will lose by a combined 5.5 points. Sorry Jacks.

Wow, yeah southland messed that up quite nicely. I even looked it up on their website previously and it had left off women's tennis and i didn't even see it on there when doing the math.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Ugh. This is horrible news.

I'd like to file a formal complaint to have Sam disqualified.
PurpleOut
Staff
I still blame baseball.
nacluth
Not a bad place to assign some blame. It was the worst finish for any sport this year. I know there were a lot of injuries to pitching, but it was rough.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
The men need to pick up the pace. Way to go ladies!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.