Tennis

4,929 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Been a while since we had a tennis recruit. She was 8-12 as a Freshman, and 8-10 this past season. Mostly playing the two and three spot for a bad team. She was a four star recruit coming out of high school, so perhaps she still has that in her.
TallTexan
She's from Vegas, maybe she plays better in a high-temperature climate.
SFAJack_76
6-9 in singles as a freshman at UL. Did well in non-conference. Lost her last seven conference matches.
SFAJack_76
Freshman recruit from France. Appear to be turning over the roster.
BigJack85
Tennis is one of those sports that we should be better than bottom 1/3 of the conference.

1. We have good facilities
2. Broad array of academic majors
3. Some history

The only drawback is the English language skills test..... maybe we're getting better?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Tennis is one of those sports that we should be better than bottom 1/3 of the conference.

3. Some history

The only drawback is the English language skills test..... maybe we're getting better?
This is probably not exactly correct, but I believe a difference at SFA to many other schools is that there is not a bridging program for those that cannot meet a qualifying score on the English language standardized test. I understand there is discussion about the international student acceptance procedure. Our population of international students is really low compared to others, including A&M-Commerce. Perhaps progress is being made.
BigJack85
I have been to a few (6-7) SLC schools and eyeballed the facilities. Our tennis facilities are "above average". I'm sure there are some that are better , but my point is we have a reasonable baseline (tennis pun intended) regarding facilities and overall capacity to be a strong squad in the SLC.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

3. Some history

This is probably not exactly correct, but I believe a difference at SFA to many other schools is that there is not a bridging program for those that cannot meet a qualifying score on the English language standardized test. I understand there is discussion about the international student acceptance procedure. Our population of international students is really low compared to others, including A&M-Commerce. Perhaps progress is being made.
I know in the 2015-2025(or whatever the current one is) strategic plan, if SFA is still even adhering to that, increasing the number of international students was a goal.

International students are awesome for a university our size. Big tuition checks, great students, brings differing viewpoints for our in state students. If we grow the number of international students it could be huge for the university from an academic standpoint.

Additionally, it may help us improve at Tennis.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I have been to a few (6-7) SLC schools and eyeballed the facilities. Our tennis facilities are "above average". I'm sure there are some that are better , but my point is we have a reasonable baseline (tennis pun intended) regarding facilities and overall capacity to be a strong squad in the SLC.
Agree with that completely. My comment was only about my understanding of the English language requirement and path forward if the base requirement not being met, probably not being exactly right.
SFAJack_76
New tennis recruit.

I don't think we play many clay court matches. If any.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Two new international players to join some of the other international players. Looks like BigJack's dream of getting a strong international presence is being realized.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Two new international players to join some of the other international players. Looks like BigJack's dream of getting a strong international presence is being realized.
We have plenty of international players. Six of the seven currently on the roster are international. The quality and/or coaching has been lacking.
BigJack85
I'm all for quality!!! LOL.
SFAJack_76
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.