2020 Basketball Offers

60,839 Views | 237 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAXE93
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

Anybody have anything on the Posey visit? Maybe he's working on a commitment video.
One can hope, right?
Was wondering the same. No tweets or press conferences yet. Lol
PurpleOut
Staff
Haven't seen or heard anything yet.

He's not extremely active on Twitter, but he did like my tweet yesterday though.
PurpleOut
Staff
Another one off the board. I think we're going to take a hit for a while, losing Haymon hurts.

SFAJack_76
Haymon gone, Mason health issues that at least keep him off the road, and the last season fiasco. Just a few weeks until the season starts and the early signing period. I know Ivey and Keller are working on a couple of options to fill the voids at least short time. Beyond that, we need wins this season to generate excitement that facilities alone won't do.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Haymon gone, Mason health issues that at least keep him off the road, and the last season fiasco. Just a few weeks until the season starts and the early signing period. I know Ivey and Keller are working on a couple of options to fill the voids at least short time. Beyond that, we need wins this season to generate excitement that facilities alone won't do.

Ya. He might need to pull the trigger on a new hire quickly.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
No-look
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Ya. He might need to pull the trigger on a new hire quickly.
Needs to be a guy that has some charisma and a magnet. And needs to have some bb knowledge also. Lol
nacluth
Sounds like you No-look. Ready to start traveling for a cause?
TallTexan
So are we outta room for Shamir?

Because it feels like passing on a Bogues is not something we'd want to do, even if it's a PWO offer.
SFA Jack Fanatic
It appears so. Shamir is very good, but he's just not the assumed prize that Posey is. It would be fantastic if Shamir was available as a walkon, but it's almost certain that some school will give him a full ride, maybe a JUCO, the way that Shannon got his start.
nacluth
Was SFA recruiting Shamir or has it just been the Sawmill?
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Was SFA recruiting Shamir or has it just been the Sawmill?

Wait. Are you insinuating that we make things up here on the Sawmill? No way!

BTW, I just heard that we will definitely be constructing an on-campus baseball and softball complex. It will be paid for by two anonymous Sawmill regular contributors from Nac and Palestine.
BigJack85
My heart skipped a beat until i read that the "anonymous donors" are from Palestine and Nacogdoches ...
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

My heart skipped a beat until i read that the "anonymous donors" are from Palestine and Nacogdoches ...

Ha! You can probably guess who those two jokers are... The tall guy and the guitar man.
TallTexan
We will gladly fund it but first Ed, we'll need 6 of your luckiest numbers.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

We will gladly fund it but first Ed, we'll need 6 of your luckiest numbers.
I've heard that 'one is the luckiest number', but you're on your own for the others. (...or was that 'the loneliest number'??)
SFAJack_76
Curious what the story is with this Bogues. As best I can tell, SFA and A&M Commerce are still his only two offers. And, without attrition, we are full.

TallTexan
I don't want to see any attrition, but I'd love to see Shamir atleast as a PWO.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I don't want to see any attrition, but I'd love to see Shamir atleast as a PWO.
I think that would be the only way he'd get him. But if Commerce is offering him a full ride, that would be hard for him to pass up.
cboothe09
sfa17 said:

6'2 PG from Lancaster. Has offers OkState, TCU,Butler, LSU

247 has him as #139 in nation, #23 PG in nation and #9 in TX

Staying in DFW and committed to TCU tonight...
SFAJack_76
That would be unfortunate.
TallTexan
Very unfortunate for us. Would be great for him to get to play on the D1 level, but I don't want to see a Bogues on an opposing team if we can help it.

Are we out of spots completely?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Very unfortunate for us. Would be great for him to get to play on the D1 level, but I don't want to see a Bogues on an opposing team if we can help it.

Are we out of spots completely?

Unless there is attrition, or a signee doesn't qualify, we are full.
sfa17
Shannon had to go to JUCO to get were he needed to be as a player. Nothing wrong with JUCO. Now he is playing in the G-league and can earn an opportunity to play in the NBA. If the coaching staff didn't go after him.. then they have there reasons. They probably know more about him then any cbb team/recruiters bc of Shannon playing at SFA
SFAJack_76
Talented player. Appears to be a good kid. Only D1 offer is SFA. Sounds like a potential qualifying concern. Certainly nothing wrong with Juco. Look at our current roster.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

If Shamir BOGUES goes to another school in the Southland, I'm starting a moveon.org because THAT IS WRONG
HJC69
He might not be as good as Shannon
Pilotgirl
HJC69 said:

I think we have offered him but can't remember
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

HJC69 said:

We did offer. I understand not all offers are equal. At least that happens a lot in D1 football where some offers are not commit-able. Odd, but the way it is. Since we filled open slots with others, did we move on, did Shamir wait too long, or?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

HJC69 said:

We did offer. I understand not all offers are equal. At least that happens a lot in D1 football where some offers are not commit-able. Odd, but the way it is. Since we filled open slots with others, did we move on, did Shamir wait too long, or?

Please explain... "some offers are not commit-able".
PurpleOut
Staff
It's not something that is normally admitted to, but it's basically saying that you have an offer but we have prospects rated higher that we are considering. I've said it before, but recruiting is a VERY hard and tricky game. If you have 3 openings, you can't just offer 3 players and hope they all commit. But if you offer 10, what about those other 7 after you get three committments? That's basically where Shamir is. As of now, we're full for next year but we have kids that have offers from us (verbal offers are not binding to the school).
sfa17
https://www.theseasonticket.com/news_article/show/1097616

Article on Shamir Bogues being unsigned. Hope he finds a spot somewhere.

"Schools aren't looking at me because they think since my brother went to SFA, and I got an offer from SFA, they assume that I am going to the same school."

"Who knows," Kinsky said. "Don't get me wrong, Stephen F. Austin is a terrific school, but just because his brother is an alumni shouldn't deter other schools from recruiting him."
Rev007
How many times a day does the GM of the Chicago Bears ask himself "Why didn't I draft Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson instead of Mitch Trubisky?"

It will be regretful and unconscionable to not offer Shamir Bogues a scholarship, but some will ask "How can we sign another player when we are at the scholarship limit?"

Find a way or rue the day!
SFAJack_76
Shamir is interesting. SFA offered about July 11, months before the early signing period. Did we prioritize Posey and Heckard over him, or did he hold out for a "better" offer so we moved on? The only other offer he held at signing time was from D2 A&M-Commerce. Since then, the only offer he has picked up is from UIW.

I don't believe for a minute that any high major that had interest in him wouldn't offer because his brother went to SFA. They aren't afraid of competing with SFA for someone they want.

I really like the two guards we signed, and wish the best for Shamir.
sfa17
Yeah, i agree, I don't think his brother going to SFA is the only reason. Just doesn't make senses. I'm pretty sure anyone recruiting him Seriously would know we have no more scholarships left.

Has to be something else too. There are over 300 D1 schools and no other offers?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.