2018 Track and Field Recruiting

7,562 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA pole vaulter signee Nastassja Campbell from New Caney broke the Texas state record at the Class 5-A State Meet yesterday at 13' 9". She went for the national high school record of 14' 4" and narrowly missed on her second attempt. This was her fourth trip to the state meet, getting two thirds and a fifth previously, before tearing an ACL on a 12' vault at last year's meet.

SFAJack_76
edstile said:

SFA pole vaulter signee Nastassja Campbell from New Caney broke the Texas state record at the Class 5-A State Meet yesterday at 13' 9". She went for the national high school record of 14' 4" and narrowly missed on her second attempt. This was her fourth trip to the state meet, getting two thirds and a fifth previously, before tearing an ACL on a 12' vault at last year's meet.

Also, keep an eye on Branson Ellis from Tyler Lee. SFA signee pole vaulter cleared 17'4" in the region meet which puts him fifth in the country this year. Ellis was second at state as a sophomore and won the gold as a junior. The state record is 17'6". The 6A pole vault competition is today.
nacluth
Wow. Honestly didn't know that pole vaulting was a high school sport.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Wow. Honestly didn't know that pole vaulting was a high school sport.

We had it at my HS and we were a 3A.

I've always thought pole vaulting should be a two person sport. The big guy runs down with the pole and flexes it to the midpoint and then the little guy grabs on and is slingshot over the bar.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I've always thought pole vaulting should be a two person sport. The big guy runs down with the pole and flexes it to the midpoint and then the little guy grabs on and is slingshot over the bar.
ROFL!!!!!!!!!! I actually like your idea. Guess I'm as crazy as you are, Texan...
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

ROFL!!!!!!!!!! I actually like your idea. Guess I'm as crazy as you are, Texan...

It's this kind of innovation that I expect from the next AD, I'm just trying to set the bar high.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

Also, keep an eye on Branson Ellis from Tyler Lee. SFA signee pole vaulter cleared 17'4" in the region meet which puts him fifth in the country this year. Ellis was second at state as a sophomore and won the gold as a junior. The state record is 17'6". The 6A pole vault competition is today.
18' 3.25" win for the young man. We may very well be looking at the next SFA national champion.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

18' 3.25" win for the young man. We may very well be looking at the next SFA national champion.
WOW!! An 18-footer as a high schooler! Sweet! (And maybe TWO pole vault national champions in the next four years?!?!)
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

For perspective, at the just concluded Big 12 meet, Campbell's vault would have been good for fourth place and Ellis' vault would have been good for the silver medal.

Remember that SFA has a junior 18' pole vaulter in Antonio Ruiz that did not compete in the outdoor tournament due to injury.

I am confident that the success Demi Payne had at SFA has a lot to do with this level of talent being attracted to us.
TallTexan
I'd love to see our track & field team take it to the next level. They already do a great job within the conference and at some big meets, but I can't wait to see one of our kids wearing the red, white, & blue.
PurpleForever
SFAJack_76 said:

I am confident that the success Demi Payne had at SFA has a lot to do with this level of talent being attracted to us.

SFA typically has strong vaulters. It helps having Jeff Erickson as a volunteer coach, he runs Altius Poles (one of the largest poles manufacturers). He also trains some of the best vaulters in the world at their facility in Jacksonville. He brings a lot of talent to SFA because athletes want to train with him. Demi had history working with him and was a main reason she chose to come to SFA after Kansas.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleForever said:

SFA typically has strong vaulters. It helps having Jeff Erickson as a volunteer coach, he runs Altius Poles (one of the largest poles manufacturers). He also trains some of the best vaulters in the world at their facility in Jacksonville. He brings a lot of talent to SFA because athletes want to train with him. Demi had history working with him and was a main reason she chose to come to SFA after Kansas.
Good to know. We've had a couple of 18-foot vaulters in the last 3-4 years or so. I had wondered about the attraction to SFA. Now I know why. Thanks, PF!
TallTexan
PurpleForever said:

SFAJack_76 said:

That's awesome!
SFAJack_76
Nice group.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Noticed that New Caney's state champion and state record-breaking pole vaulter Nastassja Campbell, who was reported earlier to have signed with SFA on national signing day, was not included in the Athletics announcement today. Wonder what's up with that?
SFAJack_76
Hamilton attended PCA, a small charter school in Lufkin with no track. He finished third in 2A at the 2018 state meet with a jump of 6'7". Raw talent with a lot of potential.

SFAJack_76
edstile said:

Noticed that New Caney's state champion and state record-breaking pole vaulter Nastassja Campbell, who was reported earlier to have signed with SFA on national signing day, was not included in the Athletics announcement today. Wonder what's up with that?
Looks like she is still coming to SFA. Mentions that Demi Payne is her favorite vaulter. Her biggest mentor right now is Jenn Suhr who is one of the best female pole vaulters ever in the world and is helping at SFA right now. Suhr is an Olympic and world champion.

https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/AG-Houston-track-Nastassja-Campbell-New-Caney-12997056.php

Suhr tweet about the incoming record setting male pole vaulter. Apparently Suhr is involved with Altius poles .

I think there is reason to be excited about all this.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

Looks like she is still coming to SFA. Mentions that Demi Payne is her favorite vaulter. Her biggest mentor right now is Jenn Suhr who is one of the best female pole vaulters ever in the world and is helping at SFA right now. Suhr is an Olympic and world champion.

https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/AG-Houston-track-Nastassja-Campbell-New-Caney-12997056.php

Suhr tweet about the incoming record setting male pole vaulter. Apparently Suhr is involved with Altius poles .

I think there is reason to be excited about all this.
Great news!
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

She is on the roster.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.