SFA Challenges & Opportunities: Retention & Graduation Rates

7,717 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigJack85
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi guys, it took longer to pull these numbers together than originally expected. While there may be some paid compilations out there, on my shoe string budget of free, I had to compile them myself. You'd think there would be an easy way to get this type of info from the states, but I haven't found it yet.

Below is an overview of graduation rates, retention rates, and for our Texas schools, what percentage of new students are in the Top 10%. Let me just say, this data is as accurate as I could find, and sometime two data sources would disagree, but I'd use the number which was most verifiable. All of this data is either from a state website, a schools individual website under Institutional research, or a mostly reputable article in the local papers.

I'll comment below with my thoughts on what I found.

TallTexan
First off, if somebody wants to double check Lamar's numbers, be my guest, because they are atrocious across the board and I have a hard time believing they'd still get students with metrics like that.

Retention Rates

I thought SFA was interesting, in that we seemed to be average amongst our peers. The Retention rate increase from 2013-2016 was nice, but I'd love to see us get it up to 80%. To me, the higher the retention rate, the more we know that we're targeting the right students and setting the right expectations so that students aren't surprised when they show up for classes.

Graduation Rates leave a lot to be desired.
Our 4 year graduation rate needs to improve greatly in my opinion. While it's solidly average in our typical peer universities, and better than some, having only 1/3 of your students finish on time just doesn't seem acceptable to be. Also, I was disappointed in our most recent 6 year graduation rate. 44% of students getting a degree from the University they started out as seems far too low as well. If I, albeit with limited knowledge but thinking like a parent would view these, I'd like to see us at a 50% 4 year grad rate and a 70% 6 year grad rate. Important to keep in mind, that when it comes to Texas Higher Ed, we don't have the best graduation rates as a whole, which probably speaks as much to our K12 education quality as much as our higher education quality.

Top 10% rates
I found the Top 10% numbers very intriguing, especially when compared to overall graduation and retention rates. I haven't been able to find a direct correlation of Texas Top 10 to college graduation rates, but I'd imagine the correlation is high. Here's an article that finds a similar GPA to college graduation rate correlation.

GPA to College Graduation Rate

So here's what I found interesting. Between us our our Texas peers of the same level(Sam, Corpus, Lamar, Ut Tyler), there's almost a 2x difference between Top 10 students who attend and the 4 year grad rate. Too me, that means there's a huge marketing and outreach opportunity. If we can determine the profile of the type of student who isn't Top 10, but is likely to graduate in 4 years, we can create subtargets to make sure that those students are aware of SFA and more likely to apply. So while we might not be able to compete with Texas or A&M for the very top of the class, we could build a very effective niche around students who are likely to graduate on time.

In turn, this would likely raise our academic profile, which would let SFA focus more resources on students who aren't likely to graduate on time, thus raising our quality even further.

Overall
I think we still have lots of room to improve, especially since I think SFA as a teaching focused college should focus on a niche of providing a quality education for "everyone else". I feel that in Texas we have a huge "missing middle" of universities who aren't research powerhouses, but simply focus on providing a quality education across the board.
TallTexan
Here's a really good video featuring Bill Gates discussing the graduation & retention rate at Georgia State, which speaks to some of the problems in the U.S as a whole. This is the kind of innovation that I like to see.

TallTexan
I'll also try to pull SFA's specific graduation & retention rates for minority groups when I get the chance. I think that those are important to look at as well for an inclusive university like ours.
TallTexan
Also, for anyone who is interested in digging into some of the data.

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/9435.PDF?CFID=69644714&CFTOKEN=29624239

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=184E20BE-CF29-E04C-196B6AAC34D4D9F0&flushcache=1&showdraft=1

https://irep.olemiss.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/98/2017/01/Mini-Fact-Book-2016-2017.pdf

http://www.icuf.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/HECC-2015-ANNUAL-REPORT.pdf

BigJack85
I read some of the stuff from THECB and I have to say it's depressing from an SFA point of view. OUR university is stagnant. I think it's time for new leadership. Hear me out. I think Dr. Pattillo was the right man when he took over in 2006. Since the early 2010's the environment in higher education has changed dramatically and we are beginning to fall behind. We need a significant increase in the number of partnerships we have with 2 year colleges and we need to bolster our programs in science and mathematics. I could drone on but don't want to bore the rest of the Sawmill reading public.......
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

We need a significant increase in the number of partnerships we have with 2 year colleges
How many partnerships do we have? I live in the Houston area and virtually all universities around here have many JUCO partnerships (and satellite campuses).
BigJack85
edstile said:

BigJack85 said:

We need a significant increase in the number of partnerships we have with 2 year colleges
How many partnerships do we have? I live in the Houston area and virtually all universities around here have many JUCO partnerships (and satellite campuses).
In Houston.... to my knowledge the partnerships in place include: Lone Star College - Montgomery (I think it's a sociology program?), Houston Community College - Interior Design. I'm certain the Dallas area has some.

We just started to build these partnerships. Should have started 5 years ago. This is a huge part of Sammie's enrollment growth. They get 2000 or so students at LSC (I live right around the corner in The Woodlands). We probably get 50 students. Not as good as we should be.
sfa17
TallTexan said:

I'll also try to pull SFA's specific graduation & retention rates for minority groups when I get the chance. I think that those are important to look at as well for an inclusive university like ours.
SFA recently created a program called Generation Jacks. it is program for first generation college students.

http://www.sfasu.edu/studentsuccess/109.asp

A while ago, I wrote a paper about first generation college students. I found out that their retention rate is much lower when compared to second generation college students. They cannot look to their parents for emotional help b/c they cannot relate.

A program like this can really make a difference for students, especially for minorities.
-from the site
Why should I join Generation Jacks?
GJ will provide unbeatable support, an amazing network of friends, and an unforgettable college experience. In addition, GJ...
  • Can lead to a higher GPA Provides enhanced faculty and professional academic advisor support
  • Can lead to higher satisfaction with the college experience
  • Gives you support for staying on track for a 4-year graduation
  • Provides a more cohesive curriculum with our linked courses in the cohorts
  • Jumpstarts your professional development
  • Can lead to a higher level of student engagement
  • GJ students have higher GPA's and earn more credit hours than other first-gen students
INiedrauer
Staff
Worth noting that while the numbers leave much to be desired, they've improved notably over the last 5 years. I imagine a lot of that has to do with improved admissions standards.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

Worth noting that while the numbers leave much to be desired, they've improved notably over the last 5 years. I imagine a lot of that has to do with improved admissions standards.

Agreed Isaac, they're definitely progressing in the right direction, but overall I believe we need to do a better job.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

TallTexan said:

SFA recently created a program called Generation Jacks. it is program for first generation college students.

http://www.sfasu.edu/studentsuccess/109.asp

A while ago, I wrote a paper about first generation college students. I found out that their retention rate is much lower when compared to second generation college students. They cannot look to their parents for emotional help b/c they cannot relate.

A program like this can really make a difference for students, especially for minorities.
-from the site
Why should I join Generation Jacks?
GJ will provide unbeatable support, an amazing network of friends, and an unforgettable college experience. In addition, GJ...
  • Can lead to a higher GPA Provides enhanced faculty and professional academic advisor support
  • Can lead to higher satisfaction with the college experience
  • Gives you support for staying on track for a 4-year graduation
  • Provides a more cohesive curriculum with our linked courses in the cohorts
  • Jumpstarts your professional development
  • Can lead to a higher level of student engagement
  • GJ students have higher GPA's and earn more credit hours than other first-gen students

Glad to see a program like this in place. I was a 2nd gen college student and my parents expected me to go to college and do well. If I needed anything, they always understood and two of my aunts work at colleges so I always had an inside knowledge. My wife on the other hand was the first person in her extended family to go to a 4 yr college that I'm aware of. The dynamic was totally different. Not only did they not understand the system, but any slight setback such asa lower grade than anticipated or even a class being full lead to a panic by them.(Luckily my wife is much more grounded & goal oriented). Otherwise she could definitely have been in that number who started but didn't finish. In fact, I think if she hadn't went to a 4 year college, neither of her younger siblings would have finished either, because she always stayed on them about signing up, studying, etc. Something her parents definitely wouldn't do.

Sometimes I wonder if programs lik the 1st gen students and early summer enrollee programs for at risk students should be mandatory. Having a support system makes all the difference.
BigJack85
INiedrauer said:

I agree that the tightening of entrance standards have helped.... in some cases notably. The fact is we are still a rural destination institution. By that I mean that kids in Houston that don't care will attend U of H, UH Clear Lake or Sammie etc. etc. depending on what side of the town they live in. I'm certain the same is the case in Dallas with UT Arlington, UT Dallas (to a degree), UNT, A&M Commerce and Tarleton. We are simply to far away from the population bases of Houston and Dallas to be a commuter option. Sammie notes their enrollment increases,,,, all true but in large part it is part time students driving up from The Woodlands or Kingwood in the morning and leaving by 2PM. I know this because I lived in The Woodlands for 12 years.

We have to grasp that SFA's real competition is schools that have large on campus, vibrant 24/7 educational/social environment. That means in large part we are in competition against A&M, UT, Tech etc. The only way for us to grow is to carve out a niche' that says we have all these things in environment that has more benefits to the on campus student. We (as a institution) are still struggling with how to message this. A small but important part of this is the view of how competitive we are academically.

A related antidote... I was talking to my waiter at my regular Italian place in the Champions area north of Houston He was 18, about to graduate and talked about the schools he looked at. He mentioned A&M, Texas State and SFA (without my prompting). I asked him what he thought about SFA. His comment was very eye opening. He said "I really like the school, the campus and I'm looking at pre-professional programs. SFA is so easy to get into I'll just use it as a back up!" We've been the "backup" for a long time. I think we are destined to continue in that vein until we get some real dynamic leadership. End of rant.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I read some of the stuff from THECB and I have to say it's depressing from an SFA point of view. OUR university is stagnant. I think it's time for new leadership. Hear me out. I think Dr. Pattillo was the right man when he took over in 2006. Since the early 2010's the environment in higher education has changed dramatically and we are beginning to fall behind. We need a significant increase in the number of partnerships we have with 2 year colleges and we need to bolster our programs in science and mathematics. I could drone on but don't want to bore the rest of the Sawmill reading public.......

Can't say I disagree here based on what I've seen. I think that as of today, I would consider Patillo's tenure a success. I don't think I'd be inclined to say the same if we continued on our current trajectory fr another 5 years.

I'd love to see us implement programs to increase enrollment ad graduation rates, focus on certain academic programs like science & math, but also a construction management degree and more health related degrees & certificates like PT/OT school and assistants. A health admin degree.

We should up our junior college partnerships & partner with other state schools to take transfer students for what we do well such as nursing or teaching when they don't have enough seats.

I'd also like to see us put a serious focus on funding,our school doesn't churn out multi millionaires and billionaires or typically attract their kids, so we need to go out and cultivate those donors & show them SFA's vision to educate the workin & middle class kids to help them move up the ladder.

Also, in addition to having a President with greater strategic vision, we need a Board of Regents to support moving SFA forward. Although it may be a topic for another post, I don't see SFA's board as being full of great strategic vision. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate their service & dedication, but at the same time I see the great business leaders, people who have been around the block a time or two when it comes to change management and leading large orgs.

Just my two cents on the topic.
sfa17
i am also first gen and i had the same problem my first year at SFA. Either they didn't have this program or they did a poor job of advertising it. But i think they didn't have it.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Can't say I disagree here based on what I've seen. I think that as of today, I would consider Patillo's tenure a success. I don't think I'd be inclined to say the same if we continued on our current trajectory fr another 5 years.

I'd love to see us implement programs to increase enrollment ad graduation rates, focus on certain academic programs like science & math, but also a construction management degree and more health related degrees & certificates like PT/OT school and assistants. A health admin degree.

We should up our junior college partnerships & partner with other state schools to take transfer students for what we do well such as nursing or teaching when they don't have enough seats.

I'd also like to see us put a serious focus on funding,our school doesn't churn out multi millionaires and billionaires or typically attract their kids, so we need to go out and cultivate those donors & show them SFA's vision to educate the workin & middle class kids to help them move up the ladder.

Also, in addition to having a President with greater strategic vision, we need a Board of Regents to support moving SFA forward. Although it may be a topic for another post, I don't see SFA's board as being full of great strategic vision. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate their service & dedication, but at the same time I see the great business leaders, people who have been around the block a time or two when it comes to change management and leading large orgs.

Just my two cents on the topic.

Don't think I'm not a Baker fan. I am! I just think it's past the time for new leadership. The Board of Regents is a reflection of the alumni base as most of the BOR are alumni. They (BOR) can push things a certain direction but at the end of the day it's the President that executes the plan.
TallTexan
Oh totally agree that he's done a good job. I just think the time for the transition is sooner than later so someone can come in and take us to the next level. We've had our Kasper, now let's hire an Underwood.
TallTexan
Was just on a call with someone for my startup and we were talking about East Texas, and he mentioned that his granddaughter goes to SFA. She chose SFA because of the quality of the criminal justice professors.

Just thought I'd share with you guys.
BigJack85
Good stuff Chooses us over Sammie.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.