SFA TV Commercials in Houston

4,539 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the last few days I've seen a couple of SFA marketing spots on Houston TV (both happened to be on KTRK Channel 13). I felt a lot of pride as I watched these. Glad to see our great university using this format. This is sure to have a better ROI than the billboards I've seen in the past.

Are they doing the same thing in other major markets around the state?
BigJack85
I also saw two ads. One each during "Meet the Press" and "CBS Sunday Morning". I also had the same feeling of pride! I would like to see more of this although I realize it is expensive.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I also saw two ads. One each during "Meet the Press" and "CBS Sunday Morning". I also had the same feeling of pride! I would like to see more of this although I realize it is expensive.
I've only ever seen them during our games, but then again I also only stream TV and am based in Virginia currently.

I've been wanting to do a marketing thread, and since Edstile kicked it off, might as post here.

First a question. Is Meet the Press and CBS Sunday morning really capturing our target audience? Maybe parents I guess? I've always wondered about targeting commercials during other local universities televised games, since ideally, your target audience would be tuned in.

I wonder what the cost is. I like seeing SFA billboard's, but they always struck me as kind of useless. First, there's no call to action, and if you're unfamiliar with SFA "Lumberjacks make great nurses" means nothing to you since you don't know who the Lumberjacks are or which university they represent. Second, they're almost impossible to target & re-target, which is highly important.

My ideal method, and also likely the most effective & cost effective, would be a mostly digital marketing campaign, with a healthy dose of content marketing thrown in, similar to what we see with political campaigns. It's absolutely amazing what you can target with online advertising. And re-target again and again. Ever noticed how an ad for something you recently searched follows you across the web and devices?

It is possible to do the same thing with SFA. The level of customization is amazing. You could target students & parents with different messages, target potential business majors with different collateral than potential English majors. There are so many possibilities, and it's also fairly easy to track effectiveness, so you would be able to justify the cost.

To me, a highly coordinated effort for digital marketing makes the most sense.

Thoughts?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

I've only ever seen them during our games, but then again I also only stream TV and am based in Virginia currently.

I've been wanting to do a marketing thread, and since Edstile kicked it off, might as post here.

First a question. Is Meet the Press and CBS Sunday morning really capturing our target audience? Maybe parents I guess? I've always wondered about targeting commercials during other local universities televised games, since ideally, your target audience would be tuned in.

I wonder what the cost is. I like seeing SFA billboard's, but they always struck me as kind of useless. First, there's no call to action, and if you're unfamiliar with SFA "Lumberjacks make great nurses" means nothing to you since you don't know who the Lumberjacks are or which university they represent. Second, they're almost impossible to target & re-target, which is highly important.

My ideal method, and also likely the most effective & cost effective, would be a mostly digital marketing campaign, with a healthy dose of content marketing thrown in, similar to what we see with political campaigns. It's absolutely amazing what you can target with online advertising. And re-target again and again. Ever noticed how an ad for something you recently searched follows you across the web and devices?

It is possible to do the same thing with SFA. The level of customization is amazing. You could target students & parents with different messages, target potential business majors with different collateral than potential English majors. There are so many possibilities, and it's also fairly easy to track effectiveness, so you would be able to justify the cost.

Thoughts?
I like the cut of your jib, Texan! I have no idea who handles marketing for SFA (the Marketing Department or an outside consulting firm, I assume?), but I would hope that they're on the same or a similar wavelength as you. I especially like the idea of using different targeting methods for potential students and their parents. In many cases, they may be looking for entirely different things when deciding on a university.

Anyone know who we exes could contact to share our thoughts on such a critical effort? I'm hesitant to contact the Alumni Association because I think that wouldn't get us very far. We need more of a direct line to the decision-makers higher on the university's totem pole. On several occasions, some of our regular commenters on these forums have talked about the need to increase enrollment. If the university is serious about that then they should be open to our questions and ideas.

Obviously, costs are a major issue in this. As before, I'm clueless about how much is budgeted for recruiting and marketing.

BTW, the two spots I've I seen on Houston TV were seen during the late night local news. Both spots were that of an SFA French professor in class with students and then making brief comments (some in French). I would hope that additional spots are on the way and that they highlight other disciplines to broaden the appeal.
INiedrauer
Staff
Unless it's changed recently, SFA's university marketing is handled by Richards/Carlberg in Houston. They're the masterminds behind the new website and the whole "Lumberjacks make great" campaigns.

I've seen a few ads including one during the World Series in the Nacogdoches market. All highlighting different faculty members in different departments. Really well done and probably designed to target parents.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

Unless it's changed recently, SFA's university marketing is handled by Richards/Carlberg in Houston. They're the masterminds behind the new website and the whole "Lumberjacks make great" campaigns.

I've seen a few ads including one during the World Series in the Nacogdoches market. All highlighting different faculty members in different departments. Really well done and probably designed to target parents.
Agreed, the ads are very well done.
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Thoughts?
I like the cut of your jib, Texan! I have no idea who handles marketing for SFA (the Marketing Department or an outside consulting firm, I assume?), but I would hope that they're on the same or a similar wavelength as you. I especially like the idea of using different targeting methods for potential students and their parents. In many cases, they may be looking for entirely different things when deciding on a university.

Anyone know who we exes could contact to share our thoughts on such a critical effort? I'm hesitant to contact the Alumni Association because I think that wouldn't get us very far. We need more of a direct line to the decision-makers higher on the university's totem pole. On several occasions, some of our regular commenters on these forums have talked about the need to increase enrollment. If the university is serious about that then they should be open to our questions and ideas.

Obviously, costs are a major issue in this. As before, I'm clueless about how much is budgeted for recruiting and marketing.

BTW, the two spots I've I seen on Houston TV were seen during the late night local news. Both spots were that of an SFA French professor in class with students and then making brief comments (some in French). I would hope that additional spots are on the way and that they highlight other disciplines to broaden the appeal.
I think it's an outside consulting firm, but I couldn't speak to what their tactics are other than what we've already seen. I'd seriously have to question their effectiveness though if they aren't running a digital marketing/PR campaign in tandem with the TV spots.

I'll do some digging and see what I can find.
TallTexan
Here's a link to some of the longer videos.
SFA Videos
TallTexan
Connected with the person who overseas marketing for SFA. Apparently we're doing a full stack approach on the marketing front. Commercials, Billboards, social media, etc.

Btw, here is a really good read on Facebook advertising if anyone is interested.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/magazine/how-facebooks-oracular-algorithm-determines-the-fates-of-start-ups.html?action=click&module=Discovery&pgtype=Homepage&mc=aud_dev&mcid=fb-nytimes&mccr=NovMC48&mcdt=2017-11&subid=NovMC48&ad-keywords=AudDevGate&referer=http://m.facebook.com/
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Connected with the person who overseas marketing for SFA. Apparently we're doing a full stack approach on the marketing front. Commercials, Billboards, social media, etc.

Btw, here is a really good read on Facebook advertising if anyone is interested.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/magazine/how-facebooks-oracular-algorithm-determines-the-fates-of-start-ups.html?action=click&module=Discovery&pgtype=Homepage&mc=aud_dev&mcid=fb-nytimes&mccr=NovMC48&mcdt=2017-11&subid=NovMC48&ad-keywords=AudDevGate&referer=http://m.facebook.com/
Good to hear about the "All Hands on Deck" approach by our marketing folks.

And BTW, that was a VERY interesting read. I'm not the sharpest tech tool in the shed, and that article read like 'War and Peace', but it contained lots of useful info on Facebook advertising. Anyone who considers him/herself to be an entrepreneur definitely needs to read it.

Thanks, Texan!
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFA banners and memorabilia being displayed at the departure gates inside of Hobby Airport in Houston. Part of the "full stack approach" to marketing the school, apparently. I love it!
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

SFA banners and memorabilia being displayed at the departure gates inside of Hobby Airport in Houston. Part of the "full stack approach" to marketing the school, apparently. I love it!
Speaking of airports. We should run an online ad campaign featuring Walkup in Germany for international students to apply. Might as well capitalize on it while you can, and it'd be a good gesture to Walkup for us to "sponsor" him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.