SFA Capital Campaign

10,793 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
8:00 on a Friday night, on Halloween weekend?
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

I'll be in Nac, somewhere. Such odd timing.
TallTexan
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I'll be in Nac, somewhere. Such odd timing.

Well per Matts follow up tweet, turns out I might be there live. We shall see.
nacluth
Something about the logo and the use of the word launch make me think this is actually a US Space Force recruiting event - which I honestly I would attend if I had any shot of going into space.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Something about the logo and the use of the word launch make me think this is actually a US Space Force recruiting event - which I honestly I would attend if I had any shot of going into space.
Nacluth on Mars: "That's one small step for a man, rank the Jacks you cowards"
TallTexan
Fundraising campaign has raised 79 million!!!!!
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Fundraising campaign has raised 79 million!!!!!

Absolutely amazing. Amazing. "I'll be "ears wide open" to hear the plans. Axe 'Em Jacks.
SFAJack_76
AB did an outstanding job on her story.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

AB did an outstanding job on her story.

Absolutely.
TallTexan
Also AB needs to be the bonfire emcee next year.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Also AB needs to be the bonfire emcee next year.
That would be fun!
SFAJack_76
Link to the campaign that includes all of the videos from last night's kickoff including the one by AB.

https://www.sfasu.edu/elevate
BigJack85
This is very good news. Maybe we (SFA) are fortunate and we raise another $30-$40 million. My personal hope is that we get enough funds to have a full fledged engineering program. Mechanical and Electrical.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

This is very good news. Maybe we (SFA) are fortunate and we raise another $30-$40 million. My personal hope is that we get enough funds to have a full fledged engineering program. Mechanical and Electrical.

At one of the SFA summer events, a fundraiser who shall not be named told me the 100 mil was definitely happening and that they were so sure they'd raise it that Gordon was planning the next 100 mil.

Don't know if they intended to grab part of that as an extension of this campaign or a future one but they were fairly confident that there was more money out there for SFA.
TallTexan
I haven't had the chance to watch the full video yet. We caught parts of it at dinner. Did they give any directives for what this money is going to?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I haven't had the chance to watch the full video yet. We caught parts of it at dinner. Did they give any directives for what this money is going to?

That would be good to know.

nacluth
TallTexan said:

$8M from Bill Elliott is going to the now Micky Elliott College of Fine Arts. I would assume mostly to cover the huge building project that is now occurring.

It said there were 7 other $1M+ gifts as well. The silent part of the capital campaign opened in September 2015. So SFA has raised $79M in 6 years. Goal is $21M in the next 2 years. My guess is most of the $79M has already been allocated to the college's budget.
nacluth
Interesting related article (may be reposting from earlier) about our current bond evaluation. Negative outlook overall, but has some positives. Says our current endowment around $120M.

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/us-public-finance/fitch-affirms-stephen-f-austin-state-univ-tx-rfs-bonds-at-aa-outlook-negative-13-09-2021
TallTexan
nacluth said:

TallTexan said:

$8M from Bill Elliott is going to the now Micky Elliott College of Fine Arts. I would assume mostly to cover the huge building project that is now occurring.

It said there were 7 other $1M+ gifts as well. The silent part of the capital campaign opened in September 2015. So SFA has raised $79M in 6 years. Goal is $21M in the next 2 years. My guess is most of the $79M has already been allocated to the college's budget.
Do we know how much net unexpected money will be raised? SFA raises on average 5-10 million a year, without a capital campaign. If we're counting back to 2015, that could be as little as 20 million in new money from the campaign.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Good info. Thanks 76.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

TallTexan said:

Do we know how much net unexpected money will be raised? SFA raises on average 5-10 million a year, without a capital campaign. If we're counting back to 2015, that could be as little as 20 million in new money from the campaign.

From what I read I don't believe the true start of the campaign was 2018 in reality. I suspect another $30 million is reachable raising the endowment to the $130/$140 range respectable but not mind blowing.

Regarding use of funds. It sounds like (watched the YouTube video) the vast majority will be aimed at endowed professorship/faculty support along with scholarships.
SFAJack_76
Hearing very positive comments about the status of the capital campaign. Expectations are that the $100 million goal can be achieved well ahead of the target time frame. I am hopeful that the momentum can be carried into the next campaign. Lots of people doing good work, with a lot yet to be done.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Hearing very positive comments about the status of the capital campaign. Expectations are that the $100 million goal can be achieved well ahead of the target time frame. I am hopeful that the momentum can be carried into the next campaign. Lots of people doing good work, with a lot yet to be done.

That's awesome news. Especially with the faculty "revolution" underway. I sure hope we secure significant funding for engineering/science/mathematics. That is the key Imho. We have so much upside with the physical sciences.
SFAJack_76
About three months ago, our Geology Department started posting frequently on LinkedIn. Who they are, what their programs are about, what students are doing, etc. Good information on academics that I was not familiar with being at SFA. Getting the word circulated is an important step in recruiting.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.