SFA Alumni Golf Tournament

771 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 14jacks
14jacks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey y'all, hope y'all are all doing well!

I graduated from SFA last May and took a role as a financial advisor in Dallas. I really loved my time I spent at SFA and care for the university and the alum. I'm thinking of hosting a golf tournament in the DFW area for SFA alumni for 2 reasons- 1 obviously to get my name out there and see if anybody needs financial advice and 2, because I just want to meet other SFA alum and have a hard time finding events in the DFW area. I'm posting on here to get y'all's opinion- is that something y'all think y'all would want to go to? Or do you think there would be enough SFA alum that show up to make all the energy and effort worth it?

Appreciate any feedback!
BigJack85
14jacks said:

I graduated from SFA last May and took a role as a financial advisor in Dallas. I really loved my time I spent at SFA and care for the university and the alum. I'm thinking of hosting a golf tournament in the DFW area for SFA alumni for 2 reasons- 1 obviously to get my name out there and see if anybody needs financial advice and 2, because I just want to meet other SFA alum and have a hard time finding events in the DFW area. I'm posting on here to get y'all's opinion- is that something y'all think y'all would want to go to? Or do you think there would be enough SFA alum that show up to make all the energy and effort worth it?

Appreciate any feedback!

I'm a Houston guy that loves golf. I wish you good luck GitHub's going.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
I think this could work. I've hosted lots of disc golf tournaments and the one thing that I know is that it takes a lot of communication. It's a time commitment, but you can do it if you're motivated.

A couple questions:

1.) It's a SFA alum tournament, but is it for a charity (like the SFA alumni association) or are you planning on paying out the entry fees in prizes or keeping some proceeds? (I also know tournaments rarely make money.)

2.) How many alumni would you need for it to be successful for you? A couple cards worth or a full field?

Working with the alumni association especially through their DFW Facebook/email groups (I'm assuming they have them) is probably the way to go.
PurpleOut
Staff
14jacks said:

Appreciate any feedback!
Welcome to the forum!

I'm on the board for the Alumni Association, and also the DFW Regional Chair (I live in the Frisco/McKinney area).

Happy to connect with you in general, but can also connect you with our Alumni Association staff. They already do one golf tournament in Nac, and also help with one in Longview. While I'm not a golfer, I've pitched the idea of a tournament in our area before. It can definitely work, but it would just take some planning, and would need to fit in the calendar and budget.

Obviously if you're doing the majority of the leg work, then you can do whatever you'd like, and we can probably have them just help promote it.

Make sure you're following all of the SFA accounts on social media (SFASU, Alumni Association, Lumberjackfans, etc) to get info on events. There's normally quite a bit. We're having an event at the Mavs game on 3/5!

Send me an email if you'd like to connect and get some more help/info. mattadk15@gmail.com
14jacks
I would probably do a hybrid. I don't want to make any profit off of it. I would probably do like half to the alumni association and half paid out to the winners/top 3, or something like that. I don't have anything specific in mind, it's just a thought right now.

I think 50 people would make it successful. The more the merrier of course.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.