President Scott Gordon

3,985 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJack85
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reported that SFA and Scott Gordon have separated. Anyone know the story.
TallTexan
nacluth
Guess he never really healed the lack of confidence.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Guess he never really healed the lack of confidence.

I figured he'd take another job on the fundraising success. Didn't expect an abrupt departure.
cboothe09
Terrible
TallTexan
Hope the next person has strong ties to the state of Texas. TX Lege is an unruly bunch and someone who knows how to navigate it right out the gate would be a huge plus.

Big fundraiser would be good as well.

There's a few folks around the state or with experience in the Lonestar state that I think would be good.
TallTexan
Any new news on this?

Either the reason for the sudden departure or the search process?
BigJack85
Not a peep.
TallTexan
Man this situation is quiet as quiet can be. Haven't heard a single thing on a search yet.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Man this situation is quiet as quiet can be. Haven't heard a single thing on a search yet.

I am of the belief that having Steve Westbrook for a while is not a bad thing. I talked with him for a bit at the Houston Road Show.

I was a big proponent of hiring Scott Gordon due to his experience in the science and technology side of higher education. We need someone to focus on growth initiatives. Specifically in the science and mathematics side of SFA. Further enhancement of our Forestry and Agriculture college should also be a priority.

After listening to the last BOR meeting I was left with the sense that a number initiatives are in the oven. Here's to a stronger SFA
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
SFA paid 809k for Gordon to go away. Which is really steep for a "mutual" parting.
PurpleOut
Staff
I've seen a few different posts, and I guess I'm not fully following.

We're mad that he got severance? Or the amount of the severance?

Every place I've worked has had different forms and amounts for severance, including paying out the contracted term. Seems like that's what we did. Definitely a lot of money though.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Every place I've worked has had different forms and amounts for severance, including paying out the contracted term. Seems like that's what we did. Definitely a lot of money though.
I'm not mad that he got a severance unless his contract specifically stated he wasn't owed it.

And even in that case, I wouldn't be opposed to some severance, but the full amount seems pretty crazy, especially if a) it was mutual as stated or b) was for real cause.

But paying what looks to be 2 and a half years full freight after the board bungled the raise & the response to the raise is another black eye for a uni that is raising millions but underpaying staff and cutting dept budgets for basics.

At minimum, I'd expect a negotiated severance in the majority of scenarios.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Leading to a potentially lengthy legal battle. If it had been for cause, which I believe it was not, it would be different. The Board made some mistakes. Dr. Gordon made more. There are some very successful business people on our Board. I am confident they reached a point where it was deemed best for SFA to part ways as effectively, quickly, and quietly as possible. We don't know, and won't know, that they didn't attempt to negotiate the severance. Ultimately, they chose to honor the contract.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah I agree. While I've seen a full contracted term paid out for severance...I think that's pretty rare.

I wonder if that was in his contract. Either way it's on SFA for all of it.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Leading to a potentially lengthy legal battle. If it had been for cause, which I believe it was not, it would be different. The Board made some mistakes. Dr. Gordon made more. There are some very successful business people on our Board. I am confident they reached a point where it was deemed best for SFA to part ways as effectively, quickly, and quietly as possible. We don't know, and won't know, that they didn't attempt to negotiate the severance. Ultimately, they chose to honor the contract.
Yeah we won't fully know probably.

Maybe other options were discussed and it was concluded that $800k would be the easiest, and possibly the cheapest option (instead of going to court and potentially spending more). Just a thought.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Yeah we won't fully know probably.

Maybe other options were discussed and it was concluded that $800k would be the easiest, and possibly the cheapest option (instead of going to court and potentially spending more). Just a thought.
Billable hours remain undefeated.

For what it's worth, Hightower said there was no severance provision in his contract and he could be terminated or re-assigned at any time without cause. How that'd play out in a negotiated severance is a little unclear but it wasn't spelled out payable in full it would seem.
TallTexan
This may very well have been the best/fastest/easiest way to make him go away.

However, there are public schools in Texas whose 1st year teachers make more than our profs. This is going to cause even more of a ruckus and SFA needs to figure out a solution to be able to pay fairly across the board and make sure depts have a budget for essential supplies.

Maybe the fundraising helps with that, maybe not.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

I'm with you Purple. What is the complaint precisely? I mean, it seemed like EVERYONE AND I MEAN EVERYONE wanted him gone.

Sure, I would have liked him to just go away. Nobody thought that was going to happen. Now we move forward. Can we get behind this? Probably not. It seems to me that Lumberjacks are just as divided as the nation. Sad. Sad.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

However, there are public schools in Texas whose 1st year teachers make more than our profs. This is going to cause even more of a ruckus and SFA needs to figure out a solution to be able to pay fairly across the board and make sure depts have a budget for essential supplies.

The structural problems you speak of aren't specific to SFA. They run across the country. CBS evening news ran a story last night on the national news regarding the precipitous drop in college enrollment across the entire country. Entire country. The solution (if there is one) seems to reside with the current funding model the state employs.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

The structural problems you speak of aren't specific to SFA. They run across the country. CBS evening news ran a story last night on the national news regarding the precipitous drop in college enrollment across the entire country. Entire country. The solution (if there is one) seems to reside with the current funding model the state employs.
Correlation isn't necessarily causation in our case.

SFA has roughly the same enrollment now as it did in the 2010s when I was there as it did in the 80s when my Dad was there. 35 years of planning and aiming for growth, in a fast growing state, and just absolute stagnation on our part.

The state funding model certainly isn't helping us, but I think I'd struggle to find more than a handful of schools who haven't seen any meaningful growth in enrollment in the state in my lifetime. We have situations unique to SFA and paying out his full contract, even if he needed to go, isn't going to sit well with university employees who have some real greivances with the past few adminstrations.
BigJack85
Well. I wonder what the real problem is ? I'll give my take. 1. We are not located close to a metro area. 2. Prospective students now value big city locales more than in the 80's when I attended SFA. 3. Most importantly - we are not academically competitive enough to garner interest from students in areas outside of East Texas.

When I started in 1980 SFA had a student population of just short of 10k. When I graduated it was 12k. Like you said , about the same as today.

We could use some really aggressive leadership. This is why Scott Gordon was hired. Be careful what you wish for. Our faculty is old and rambling. Handle with care….. LOL

I don't think the problem is as easy to diagnose as joining a system or otherwise. Regarding growth WTAM has the same or fewer students as they did 30 years ago. LOCATION LOCATION. Texas A&M Kingsville is competing with TAMUCC. We compete with UT tyler. That is one of the biggest challenges imho.

Tailgate with us in the fall. Between the two of us we can solve this problem over a couple of beers.
Jacks4460
I liked Dr Gordon alot and wish he could of held on and glad he is getting paid for the sh*t show he had to put up with...You are right 85 they wanted an aggressive leader and then the faculty had a revolt because Dr Gordon was one of the first to ever hold them accountable.. If you guys are wondering why we havent grown in 20-30 years look who is running our University.. Looks like the faculty to me.. Gordon is the one who put in place the new Engineering program for next semester.. Noone has given him kudos for that.. my thoughts will not change anything but open your eyes and you can see who runs the University..
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

I liked Dr Gordon alot and wish he could of held on and glad he is getting paid for the sh*t show he had to put up with...You are right 85 they wanted an aggressive leader and then the faculty had a revolt because Dr Gordon was one of the first to ever hold them accountable.. If you guys are wondering why we havent grown in 20-30 years look who is running our University.. Looks like the faculty to me.. Gordon is the one who put in place the new Engineering program for next semester.. Noone has given him kudos for that.. my thoughts will not change anything but open your eyes and you can see who runs the University..

I hope we find the right person. Leader.
Jacks4460
Faculty does not like change and if whomever is hired tries to make changes they will suffer the backlash like Dr Gordon did…not many will want the job of battling with the Faculty along with leading the University..
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

Faculty does not like change and if whomever is hired tries to make changes they will suffer the backlash like Dr Gordon did…not many will want the job of battling with the Faculty along with leading the University..

Are we alone in this situation? I think not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.