RIP Hall 16

3,166 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by sfajack05
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Slightly sad just because I lived there for 2 years, but that place was a dump.

http://www.thepinelog.com/article_baf47a10-0a9b-11ec-abb4-c33e1b123e2b.html?fbclid=IwAR23lLm4fd29cs2yrQInR1IsSOJpO4LfVJKwNgMSNiyokpUnIRH7897Tw0E
BigJack85
Hopefully this accelerates the rebuild of that side of campus. 16 goes down and we put a new updated cafeteria in.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Saw that yesterday as well. I did time in 14 myself. They were equally dumpy but if you really wanted to slum back then, you could always go visit someone in "the units" Made 14 & 16 look high class.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Hopefully this accelerates the rebuild of that side of campus. 16 goes down and we put a new updated cafeteria in.

There's actually a lot of redevelopment room right there.

The whole 16/14 East Cafe block, the purchasing and inventory building, the ROTC building, art building and ag building. Lots of potential for long term moving things around.
TallTexan
Also, kind of cool that they might be getting a Panera at that location bc of the new Chartwell contract. I've said for a while that Nac needed one, even if I didn't expect it to be on campus.
SFAJack_76
I spent two years in 16, also. When we moved our son in there over 30 years later, nothing had changed. Well, maybe a coat of paint. It was a dump, but those were two great years. All the more reason I have little patience for some of the things students today complain about.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

I spent two years in 16, also. When we moved our son in there over 30 years later, nothing had changed. Well, maybe a coat of paint. It was a dump, but those were two great years. All the more reason I have little patience for some of the things students today complain about.
right. Our senior trip was Vietnam. Different era. Lol
PurpleOut
Staff
Heard that Hall 16 is supposed to be down sometime this fall. The cafeteria will be the next thing replaced, while Hall 14 stays up.

IMO, not sure why they wouldn't just wipe out all three and build one large building. You could have everything from a cafeteria and other restaurants, book store, etc on lower levels...dorms at the top.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Heard that Hall 16 is supposed to be down sometime this fall. The cafeteria will be the next thing replaced, while Hall 14 stays up.

IMO, not sure why they wouldn't just wipe out all three and build one large building. You could have everything from a cafeteria and other restaurants, book store, etc on lower levels...dorms at the top.
Ya clearing all 3 would make the most sense to me.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

I listened to the BOR meeting. The subject of demoing both or all 3 was front and center They simply do not have enough dining capacity to service the east side of campus without the old dining hall. Sounds like a couple other halls will demolished in the near future.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
That's what I was going to say, there's nowhere to eat over there unfortunately so that's a logical reason. Just unfortunate, as it seems you'll end up with three buildings again. I can't remember exactly what I was told, but I think the new cafeteria may be going in first where Hall 16 is. So perhaps they'll tear down both the cafeteria and Hall 14...and then make one larger dorm.
SFA88
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Saw that yesterday as well. I did time in 14 myself. They were equally dumpy but if you really wanted to slum back then, you could always go visit someone in "the units" Made 14 & 16 look high class.

Hahaha my wife spent a semester in "the units" because she signed up late. She agrees with you.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

That's what I was going to say, there's nowhere to eat over there unfortunately so that's a logical reason. Just unfortunate, as it seems you'll end up with three buildings again. I can't remember exactly what I was told, but I think the new cafeteria may be going in first where Hall 16 is. So perhaps they'll tear down both the cafeteria and Hall 14...and then make one larger dorm.

I don't think 14 is gone, not just yet. I believe North Hall South and Hall 10 are on the list. The real estate on that side of campus is prime for a new dorm or academic building.

The part of the BOR meeting I listened too, les me to believe there is little appetite to build a large new form at this time.
SFAJack_76
It's happening. No mention of any new dorm. When did it start being called Eatery on East?
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

It's happening. No mention of any new dorm. When did it start being called Eatery on East?

Listening to the BOR last meeting, this was a huge topic (new dorm/dinning etc). My take was that the cost of upkeep for the older dorms (we have 8-9) is pretty significant. Finding the balance between older dorms that are paid for and generate revenue vs. newer dorms that give more "luxury" options and are attractive to new students.

I think an option that should be explored is tearing down 14 & Steen. Build a single structure in place of Steen/14 that would provide housing on the east side of campus.
sfajack05
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Listening to the BOR last meeting, this was a huge topic (new dorm/dinning etc). My take was that the cost of upkeep for the older dorms (we have 8-9) is pretty significant. Finding the balance between older dorms that are paid for and generate revenue vs. newer dorms that give more "luxury" options and are attractive to new students.

I think an option that should be explored is tearing down 14 & Steen. Build a single structure in place of Steen/14 that would provide housing on the east side of campus.
I remember the rumor when I was there they were going to tear down 14, 16, and East College and build a dorm/cafeteria combo. Where the first floor would be the cafeteria along with a general store and then a 5-6 story dorm on top.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.