Cold weather

3,527 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nacluth
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Out power and water here. How are y'all making it?
Pilotgirl
We are ok in Sugar Land. Boiling water but that is no biggie. We are on the same grid as a Memorial Herman hospital, so we have had power and are EXTREMELY lucky. I wish I could help my fellow Texans out but if anyone knows someone that needs to get warm or cook something (I have a gas stove & gas fireplace) send them my way!

A friend from high school passed away this morning and I'm feeling USELESS because I usually am DOING SOMETHING in a crisis and right now, am not able. So just in an emotional funk.
Ljacks&Longnecks
46 hours without power. Came back on at 12:30 am this morning. House in upper 40s according to ac thermostat when it restarted. Boil water notice now for much of Austin, many have no water including South Austin Hospital.

90 year old dad broke his hip almost 3 weeks ago. He was supposed to go home from rehab hospital on Tuesday.
He calls about 5 times a time checking on roads and when I will be able to take him home. Meanwhile can't go get food items he will need due to lines of hundreds waiting to get in grocery stores that open for 5-6 hours a day and shelves are empty of basic items one would be looking for anyway.

2020 never ends.
BigJack85
NW side of Houston. Near The Woodlands. Lost power for about 22 hours. Pipe bursts...... couldn't keep the pipes warm enough even with running the water. Yikes.
TallTexan
Palestine proper has seemingly been doing pretty well. We only lost power for a few hours Monday night, & water went out this morning but is back on now with a boil water notice.

Still an inch of ice of the roads, so not looking like we'll be out of the house until Saturday.

Hope all yall are doing ok. This storm has been rougher on the state than I think anything we've seen before.
nacluth
Still no power and water. Melting snow on the grill for toilets.
BigJack85
We lost power for about 22-23 hours. Had a pipe burst. Thank goodness it was over the garage so no major damage just a wet car. Was able to cut off water and then went for repair materials this morning. Again, fortune shined on me, I got to the hardware store in time to get the 3 end caps to close off the line. Whew.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Still no power and water. Melting snow on the grill for toilets.
We were getting enough runoff from the roof to fill up some buckets, and it was faster than my snow melting attempts.

Yall have power yet in Nac?
SFAJack_76
We lost power for about four hours yesterday. A couple of blinks since then. Neighbors down the street are still out. Lufkin water out yesterday. Reportedly coming back up thanks to Dee Winston getting two industrial generators out of Houston last night. We haven't gotten water back yet.

Our daughter, SIL, and granddaughter lost power Monday AM. They are staying with us. Live near Groveton.
TallTexan
Per the governor a few hours ago, no more outages due to lack of generation. So if anyone is still experiencing a power outage, call your utility company bc it's down lines or needs a manual reconnect.
nacluth
We were just told that they planned for all people in the county to have power in the next three weeks.
nacluth
We finally bailed from our frigid house. (Thankfully have family nearby with power AND water.) In the two mile stretch between our homes, I saw trees down on lines in 8 different spots. I do expect power probably tomorrow. They said I should have water by Sunday.
nacluth
SFAJack_76 said:

Reportedly coming back up thanks to Dee Winston getting two industrial generators out of Houston last night. We haven't gotten water back yet.
Dee and his wife are extremely kind people. Two weeks ago, they just heard of a family issue with my mom (who they had never met). By that afternoon, they had gone out of their way to fix it. It was one of the most generous acts of kindness I have witnessed. While nothing on the scale of those generators, it's indicative of their kindness at all times.
No-look
Power back on so far. I ran a bathtub full of water before it hit to flush commodes with and that was a good thing. Fireplace gave enough heat to survive. Wasn't pretty but made it. Lord willing I will be better prepared from now on.
BigJack85
No-look said:

Power back on so far. I ran a bathtub full of water before it hit to flush commodes with and that was a good thing. Fireplace gave enough heat to survive. Wasn't pretty but made it. Lord willing I will be better prepared from now on.
. You did well! Bravo. Bravo.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

We were just told that they planned for all people in the county to have power in the next three weeks.
Man that's a lot of down lines.

Hopefully the crews will get it knocked out faster than expected.
PurpleOut
Staff
I haven't posted too much anywhere because we've honestly been luckier than most, makes me feel kind of bad.

We're close to a fire station so assuming we're on their grid. Others on the other side of our neighborhood lost power.

Never lost power, never lost water. Our hot water line to our sink was frozen for a few days (because the home builder was stupid), but that's it.

Hope everyone else is well. Most of my friends throughout the state haven't been as lucky. Some still don't have power or water. Definitely a once in a lifetime type weather event it seems, but it also shouldn't have come to this. Without getting into politics as much as possible...this whole thing is ridiculous.
No-look
My nephew stayed fairly warm by burning a candle under a clay pot( like the ones u get at Lowe's) in each room. The clay pot gets hot and radiates heat.
So I'm thinking if u burn candles under some heater grates that would keep a room comfortable? Just trying to think of things to add to my survival skills. Lol
nacluth
Got my water on. Still waiting on power.
Ljacks&Longnecks
No water yet for most of Austin but where there was water people were washing their cars. Now City has banned car wash business until the 25th. Completely agree since so many "we the people " are without any.
SFAJack_76
Lufkin got 8 of its 9 wells fully on line yesterday. That is enough for full supply. Still under a boil water notice. An unfortunate number still without power. School canceled for Monday to deal with storm damage, which is mostly water leaks.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Lufkin got 8 of its 9 wells fully on line yesterday. That is enough for full supply. Still under a boil water notice. An unfortunate number still without power. School canceled for Monday to deal with storm damage, which is mostly water leaks.
They turned ours off completely at 9 PM last night to let the system recharge so that they had enough int the tanks to push water to all of town. Was expected to be out until noon, but was back on this morning. I hope that means there's enough pressure for the hospital to have pressure now.
nacluth
We're starting day 5 of no power. Power has been on in all the neighborhoods around us for a couple days, but no joy yet.
SFAJack_76
We still have twelve houses down the street with no power. Out of 45 in our little subdivision.
SFAJack_76
Way too much of this.
nacluth
Power on!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.