Hurricane Laura

7,190 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
30 to 60 days?

Man, those folks are going to be hurting for a long time.
PurpleOut
Staff
Article from Kendall Rogers on the storm and it's destruction of Lake Charles, especially around the baseball complex:

https://d1baseball.com/top-stories/mcneeses-hill-focused-on-recovering-and-rebuilding-lake-charles/
SFA Jack Fanatic
25 deaths in Texas and Louisiana have been attributed to Hurricane Laura, but half of those were from carbon monoxide poisoning from the unsafe operating of generators, according to authorities.

In one case in Lake Charles, the bodies of a family of five were found in the morning after surviving the actual storm but had died during the night when the door to the garage where a generator was running had been blown shut by the storm.

That's a very sad lesson that the rest of us must learn from.
TallTexan
Feel so bad for the people who didn't know that was a risk factor. We need a better PSA campaign next time around, because I know with boarding up windows and getting food, that might slip my mind too.

Terrible tragedy.
SFAJack_76

SFAJack_76
Everyone should read this.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Everyone should read this.

On one of our trips to Lake Charles to deliver relief supplies, members of both the Lake Charles and Sulphur Police Departments told us that they were really PO'd at their governor. A few days after the hurricane, in an interview in Baton Rouge, he said that "Louisiana dodged a bullet on Laura". He was still clueless about what had happened in SW Louisiana. It's definitely a forgotten part of the state.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Hurricane Delta was really a piling on from Laura. I have seen very little about this in the media. Brutal.
SFA Jack Fanatic
My Lions Club district is collecting funds to purchase roof tarps for the folks in SW Louisiana. Dozens, if not hundreds, of people, had their tarps from Laura torn away by Hurricane Delta. The heavy-duty tarps cost $90 each, and each Lions Club is being asked to contribute $200. There are 63 Lions Clubs in our district along the Texas coast, so that will help a little.

SW Louisiana really seems to be a forgotten part of that state. They suffered a double whammy in a six week period. I wouldn't be surprised to see some insurance companies go bankrupt as a result

I'll be making a trip to that area to deliver the tarps when the donations have been collected. We have three disaster relief trailers used for this type of thing.
SFAJack_76
Damn ....
Pilotgirl
OMG !!! And they did a really good job on building a nice facility compared to other Southland members (I am talking to you HBU and Incarnate Word)....How devastating for them
SFAJack_76
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.