Anyone purchased a lawnmower lately?

3,014 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFA71
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Haven't owned one in years. When we moved to Seattle our moving company wouldn't let me take ours. And then didn't really need a mower when we got there. Now that I've been back for a year I've been meaning to start looking for one.

Seems to be a ton of electric options now, but I don't really want to move around a cord in a decent sized back yard and not sure I want to have to rely on batteries.

Thoughts?
jboy93
Craftsman mowers at Lowe's are great for the price. Had one for years and cranks on the first pull nearly every time!
Pilotgirl
Yup...that's all we ever bought. I kept up with the riding lawn mower until I decided that was one thing I could do to treat myself, so lawn care since about 10 years ago!

On another note, my 27 year old washing machine (!) has bit the dust...any recs? I've never had a front loader and am pretty leary of them...
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Haven't owned one in years. When we moved to Seattle our moving company wouldn't let me take ours. And then didn't really need a mower when we got there. Now that I've been back for a year I've been meaning to start looking for one.

Seems to be a ton of electric options now, but I don't really want to move around a cord in a decent sized back yard and not sure I want to have to rely on batteries.

Thoughts?

How big is your yard?

Ive bought 3 mowers in the past year, all electric. There are some great battery powered options.

The first one, a craftsman, cut great but it had a warranty issue 6 months in. The Greenworks I absolutely hated. It was a piece of junk imo. I mowed 3 times and took it back.

I've got the Ego Power Plus now and I genuinely like it. It mows level, has nice self propelled & charges in about 45 minutes. I mowed my yard twice on one charge & it takes about 45 minutes per mow. Also, much, much quieter than gas.

One downside. It doesn't quite get the same lift a high quality gas mower does, so it'll leave a few stragglers here or there. But I'm willing to live with that to not have to mess with gas. My craftsman V60 weed eater & blower are great too.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Yup...that's all we ever bought. I kept up with the riding lawn mower until I decided that was one thing I could do to treat myself, so lawn care since about 10 years ago!

On another note, my 27 year old washing machine (!) has bit the dust...any recs? I've never had a front loader and am pretty leary of them...

I love our front load whirlpool. It has the automatic soap dispenser too so you fill up like once every 10 loads.

My parents have had a front load washer, don't know the brand, for about 15 years. They've replaced a few parts over the years, like the front seal, but it's still making it.

The one downside of getting a new washer after you've had that one for 27 years is that the new ones won't last nearly as long. My FIL and my grandpa both work/worked on appliances/washers and the news ones just don't last like they used to. 5-10 is about the life expectancy now.

My parents had their first washer dryer for about 15 years and they got it used. Think it was around 25 when it went kaput.
Pilotgirl
I know They just don't make appliances like they used to make them. I can still use it...it leaks a little with each load from the front. I'm gonna take my time finding a replacement. I know appliance peeps in the past have told me to stick with a top loader. I'll see what kind of deal I can get. Hate its during all this mess.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Thoughts?

How big is your yard?

Ive bought 3 mowers in the past year, all electric. There are some great battery powered options.

The first one, a craftsman, cut great but it had a warranty issue 6 months in. The Greenworks I absolutely hated. It was a piece of junk imo. I mowed 3 times and took it back.

I've got the Ego Power Plus now and I genuinely like it. It mows level, has nice self propelled & charges in about 45 minutes. I mowed my yard twice on one charge & it takes about 45 minutes per mow. Also, much, much quieter than gas.

One downside. It doesn't quite get the same lift a high quality gas mower does, so it'll leave a few stragglers here or there. But I'm willing to live with that to not have to mess with gas. My craftsman V60 weed eater & blower are great too.
Front yard is small, but backyard is decent sized where it makes me hesitant to get a battery powered mower (unless I got extra batteries). The reviews I read on a few said they couldn't get through their yard with one charge on a single battery. And it's definitely too big to have a cord to pull around and mess with.

And obviously trying to keep costs down, so I'm sure the lower priced models won't hold a charge as well or work as long in general.
TallTexan
The Ego could probably pull it off. It's got the best battery in the class. My lot is around a quarter acre, give or take and I could probably mow it twice.

But it's pricey. Around 600 bucks.

If you don't mind gas, I'd look at one of the Craftsman or a Toro Recycler. You can get it for half the price of an Ego.

And see if you can snag one that can be folded up & stored vertically. Thats a great space saving feature.
TallTexan
Also, if you do go electric with a battery, replacement batteries are not cheap. Sometimes 200 or more, so you'll want one with a good sized battery or fast charging.

I've got a friend who swears by his Kobalt 40v and his yard is way nicer than mine. Says it cuts his Bermuda great.
SFA71
I have a Honda mower and it is the best one I have ever had. The motor doesn't roar but sort of purrs. It never bogs out and you don't even have to choke it to get it to start..It's self choking. This is the second one I have owned and I wouldn't have had to buy the second one except for the idiot I loaned the first one to hit something that bent the crank shaft. The second one is just as good as the first and maybe a little better. You can not go wrong buying on with the Honda motor. Both Lowes and Home Depot sell them and each will match the others price. 339 $ I think is what I paid.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.