Injustice in America

10,747 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by djsfw57
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.wafb.com/2020/06/06/southeastern-dismisses-student-athlete-social-media-post/
cboothe09
Kaspar on the front page of Yahoo
SFASawmillGuy
I think that pretty much seals it for him in terms of remaining the head coach at TxSt. No matter what the allegations have out a bad light in him and the university.

Hopefully TxSt's investigation can clear his name a little so he can retire or move on to his next job with honor
TallTexan
Coach Grayson had to lock her twitter account because she was sharing stories of people who were killed because of their skin color & she started getting threats.

Appreciate her bringing attention to acts of violence that have been hidden by history. I hate that someone(or multiple people) felt comfortable threatening her bc of it.
cboothe09
Another kid came forward with some quotes. One made me giggle though when the kid complained about Kaspars no dunking policy. We have all been there...

As for his job, dude is toast at Texas State now. Not sure where he ends up next if he chooses to continue coaching, but it won't be as a HC of a D1 university...
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Coach Grayson had to lock her twitter account because she was sharing stories of people who were killed because of their skin color & she started getting threats.

Appreciate her bringing attention to acts of violence that have been hidden by history. I hate that someone(or multiple people) felt comfortable threatening her bc of it.

I really want to know who messaged her...for a friend If SFA condemns her in any way, my white privilege self will be on that campus, protesting every damn day. If someone bodily harms her, same. That woman is a gift to our players, university AND SHE IS A PERSON WHO CAN HAVE AN OPINION.

And, what's his name is still employed as a professor in the business dept (he is a white male).
SFAJack_76
More support for Kaspar.
TallTexan
We watched Ava Duvernay's documentary "13th" tonight.

It was filmed in 2016 but could have been filmed yesterday. Right now it is free on YouTube and I'd highly encourage you to watch it to learn about the racial injustice of our mass incarceration system, among other things.

Content warning. There is a disturbing amount of violence, but that doesn't mean we should look away & pretend that these events don't happen regularly.
TallTexan
Love to see our Athletics program taking an active stance on this.

Pilotgirl
Super proud of them. I've been doing lots of reading, watching, and discussing. Will add to my list with the recs!
TallTexan
Hate to see this for one of the reporters that covers McNeese.

cboothe09
Here is the column he is referring to that is causing an uproar...

TallTexan
I may disagree slightly with him on renaming things that were named after folks to highlight their support of slavery vs for their other accomplishments, but he has the right to write that we should consider why we're memorializing them & weigh/teach of their sins as well.

It sounds like a prominent local citizen, maybe a booster, sent the letter to him.

Which is unconscionable. I will relentlessly help to push any racists out of SFA's orbit and hope McNeese fans will stand behind him too.
TallTexan
Also, on the renaming SFA/other schools thing, if someone wants to discuss that could yall politely form another thread? I know it's tangentially related to this topic, but let's try to keep this one more focused.

I know it'd be a very vigorous & spirited debate & I'm worried it'd overwhelm this thread.
cboothe09
I tend to agree with you. I don't necessarily agree with what he is suggesting here, but I absolutely do NOT condone his treatment over his Op-Ed. Personally I'm not a fan of his, but I respect his right to his opinion.

You would be surprised how quickly and viciously parents and community members can be to local writers...Current events have definitely brought out a lot of passionate opinions.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

I tend to agree with you. I don't necessarily agree with what he is suggesting here, but I absolutely do NOT condone his treatment over his Op-Ed. Personally I'm not a fan of his, but I respect his right to his opinion.

You would be surprised how quickly and viciously parents and community members can be to local writers...Current events have definitely brought out a lot of passionate opinions.

Definitely see it a lot on our local paper's Facebook comments. Those guys won a pullitzer & still catch grief from the agitators.

Could not imagine the private emails/letters they must get.
cboothe09
When I was up there I had a good relationship with those guys. Good people. I would do stringer work on Grapeland games for them, and they would help me out with Palestine/WW/Elkhart when needed.
Only one person there i don't like, but that is a whole different story...
My favorite hate mail was the handwritten letter over a column I did about Brett Favre. Wisconsin native in Grapeland got a little defensive...Other than that it was mainly gripes about leaving out names that parents deserved more space and misspelled names.
TallTexan
Just Mercy is available through tonight on GOOGLE Play for free.

I think you have 30 days to watch. I highly, highly recommend.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Our community held a forum on "Understanding Race" back in June and two or 3 of the guys who run our local youth advocacy program got up & discussed the times they've been viewed as a threat or profiled in town and the list was endless.

Could not imagine living under that suspicion, an assumed distrust, every single day. It was moving to hear them share it, in our small town where they are well known in the community & car doors still lock when they walk past.

But I'm also glad they called it out, because we can't keep pretending it doesn't happen.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

Our community held a forum on "Understanding Race" back in June and two or 3 of the guys who run our local youth advocacy program got up & discussed the times they've been viewed as a threat or profiled in town and the list was endless.

Could not imagine living under that suspicion, an assumed distrust, every single day. It was moving to hear them share it, in our small town where they are well known in the community & car doors still lock when they walk past.

But I'm also glad they called it out, because we can't keep pretending it doesn't happen.
I actually kicked someone out of my car many years ago because he locked the door when he saw a black man on the sidewalk. I cannot for the life of me understand racism. It just doesn't make sense to me. I tend to be very sensitive about this because my family is VERY diverse, with Caucasians, Mexicans, and African Americans. I just cannot tolerate the slightest hint of racism, no matter who it's from or what their reasoning is. Glad to see support from so many here and from SFA as well. Until minority lives matter, we will never see "All" lives matter.
SFA, Class of 1979
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.