Injustice in America

10,766 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by djsfw57
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure by now that everyone here knows about the protests going on in our country over the killing of Mr Floyd & the treatment of black Americans by police.

I wanted to create a thread to share how SFA's leaders are responding to these injustices & also to share some resources.

I've also met many of you in person and know that many of us are white men who've never experienced our skin color being used to our detriment. So I will also share some good resources I've seen on how to be an ally, how to challenge our own internal biases so that we can help the country move forward.

And if you are a sawmiller who is a minority & feel comfortable sharing you're lived experience, we'd love to hear from you too. We're all part of the Lumberjack family here.
TallTexan
TallTexan
TallTexan
TallTexan

TallTexan
If you see other SFA responses, I know our leaders are putting out many, feel free to add to this thread. I can't catch everything.

Also,anything from our athletes as well.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
nacluth
There is a large peaceful protest in front of SFA going on right now. It was mainly college aged kids with a few families. It was very encouraging driving by how clearly positive the messaging was. My kids noticed and we needed to pull over and have a talk, age appropriate, about what the group was trying to accomplish.

Then unfortunately three large trucks, two with large Trump 2020 flags and one with a large Confederate flag, began a counter-protest by driving back and forth revving their engines and honking their horns. I say unfortunately not because I don't believe in the right to counter protest or the right to have opposing feelings on how to address the current situation, but because the following conversation with my 10 year old trying to disentangle why Trump supporters are flying the Confederate flag and in opposition to those standing against institutional racism was a much harder conversation that admittedly I was poorly prepared to have on a food run.

BigJack85
Unfortunately the constitution and our inalienable rights can be misconstrued for the whims of a bygone era ....
SFAJack_76
That's a tough one, but an important one, to have a talk about. It helps to demonstrate exactly what the students were attempting to express. I will never understand hate, and belittling of any faction of the human race. Never.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

That's a tough one, but an important one, to have a talk about. It helps to demonstrate exactly what the students were attempting to express. I will never understand hate, and belittling of any faction of the human race. Never.
. This.
Pilotgirl
Thanks for starting this thread, Texan.

I will never know ir begin to fathom how it is to be treated differently from the color of my skin. I know how it feels to be treated as a woman in a man's world but that is totally different than a PoC. I can share that I personally know how it feels to be terrified of your adult daughter being out late at night and worrying what interaction might take place between her and law enforcement based solely on the color of her skin. For the foreseeable future V will not be going anywhere, by herself (or the protection my skin color offers) at night. In 2020, we had to make those decisions.

A circle of friends and I formed a group on FB called Showing Up...to discuss, read, and become better advocates for our friends of color. I am personally going to read more on systemic racism, which many if our Lumberjack student athletes are a product of. I was thinking about sports and racism the other day and these coaches making a video about how their conference is gonna do better and listen and I had 2 thoughts:

1) Shame on the Sports World for not having more head coaches that are PoC. That would be a start.

2) PoC athletes are not here just for our benefit and entertainment....fantasy teams and such. Sports are a way out for them....(heres the systemic racism part)... a way for them to get a free education, a better paying job, a loan to by a house on the safe part of town, etc. We, as fans and alums, need to support them now more than ever.

I do remember seeing a post from a player saying that athletes are discouraged from talking about these issues but he is black before he is an athlete. EXACTLY. And how sad he feels he cannot voice his thoughts in fear of losing his scholarship (on top of his fear of being a black man in a torn country).

So, there's my two cents. I know, I know....I'm leaving and will shut up.
Jacks4460
Good stuff...
Jacks4460
i am just like you... I dont understand hate... I see hateful things people do but I dont feel hate.. If i dont like you I just dont say anything to you and I always let you speak out...
TallTexan
Here's a good study on de-escalation training for police forces for anyone that is interested.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56996151cbced68b170389f4/t/57e1b5cc2994ca4ac1d97700/1474409936835/Police+Use+of+Force+Report.pdf
TallTexan
Think Matt Postins had an excellent take here. I've spent this week contemplating how I can help be a part of the change. To speak out & use my voice to help bring change for others.

It's not enough to stand by & be silent & say "I don't do that, so I'm good". We need to help by being an ally.

Pilotgirl
I'm going to copy V's post from a couple days ago, who is a PoC. I can only imagine that our students athletes who are also PoC feel the same way & even worse. We have to LISTEN to them. These are her emotions right now & Texan is 100% correct...that in order to be an ally, we can no longer be silent we must Speak Up and Act:

Since the sun has set, I would like to share something personal. I am one big ball of nerves this week and if anything I hope that what I say you can share with others and/or make a mental note to understand my true feelings right now.

I was raised in East Texas. In a community where everyone knows everyone. I worked at a local restaurant where my favorite shifts were Friday evenings or the afternoon day shifts. My favorite customers were the families, retired community, and the local service men and women (cops, firefighters, sheriffs, and EMTs). I have been pulled over once in my life for a traffic violation and at the time I had no fear when I saw those flashing red, white, and blue lights. To be honest with you though, I thought I was pulling over to let an ambulance by . So when I realized it was an officer coming to my window, I was extremely calm. I had no fear or any hypotheticals come to mind because I KNEW JPD and the sheriffs and the state troopers who worked in Jacksonville.

You may have married, been raised by, went to school with, or become a member of law enforcement. There is fear every time that uniform is put on that someone you love or yourself will never go back home. So you always say your goodbyes and be safe and I love you before leaving for a shift.

There has been a shift for me since moving to a large city. I 100% make sure I don't speed. I always use a turn signal. Every stop sign I hit, I count a full 3 seconds. I turn my music down lower when I get to my neighborhood. And I always have my phone charged when I leave the house. Because I don't KNOW HPD or state troopers or sheriffs who serve this area. And they don't know me.

I drove home from a friend's house last night and was extremely cautious because it was dark and I don't know how harshly Houston is enforcing curfews if there is any. I was also terrified for the first time in my life to be driving alone at night. Because if I see those red, white, and blue flashing lights in the city, I can't assume the cop who will come to my window behaves like YOUR friend or spouse or neighbor. One small traffic violation with a bad cop pulling me over and we can only recognize each other by the uniform they wear and how I look behind the wheel. Anything as simple as a brake light being out could have ME on the ground begging for the ability to breathe. Or shot because I'm reaching for my ID too fast.

I had no fear when I was pulled over in Jacksonville because I was calm and trusted that the officer knew how to do their job... but what eats at me sometimes when I'm counting to 3 at a stop sign is the fact just a month later that the same officer who pulled me over shot and killed a family's dog. THEY were trespassing on the wrong person's property and the dog was scared due to 4th of July fireworks so the dog was scared as you can imagine. JPD released a statement saying the officer did what they were trained to do. No reprimands. Could I have been that dog if I had not reacted "the right way" to those flashing red, white and blue lights that pulled me over?

So I ask you to tell your spouse, your child, your parent, your best of friends, when they put on their uniform to do what they swore to do. To stand with people who are being peaceful and begging for change in this country because #BlackLivesMatter. There's a lot of "I don't agree with looting and violence" going around but it's eerie to see how you don't speak up on excessive force used on PEACEFUL protests. All we are asking is for police officers to do better not only for their community, but for themselves and to STOP KILLING BLACK PEOPLE. See something, say something. Change can easily start from within.
TallTexan
Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear V's viewpoint and I agree, we all have work to do. The burden can't just fall on those who may end up being on the wrong end of a bad cop, we've all got to help fix this system.
nacluth
I'm saddened to see Kaspar being brought into this. I hope he's able to navigate these next few days with humility and not lose his career.
Pilotgirl
Here's where you and I differ, my friend. If Kaspar did all of these things, why wouldn't he lose his job? He SHOULD lose his job. Being the role model for our student athletes by shouting racial slurs and demeaning acts? UNACCEPTABLE.

Coach Carthel, who I know is very conservative, was outside, peacefully protesting with others. That is what a great coach should exemplify.
nacluth
I doubt we differ so much. I'm not saying he shouldn't lose his job. I'm saying I hope he is able to appropriately respond to the seriousness of his past actions. Like everyone, I hope he learns, apologizes, takes accountability, puts forward the effort to change and heal the people and community he's hurt. I hope he's able to save his career (not necessarily his job) by making the positive changes we all want to see in this country.

I was at his SFA Hall of Fame induction (about a year and a half ago I believe). Many players (mostly black) returned to share with everyone the amount of care and support that he has given them throughout their lives post-SFA. Many he checked on daily/weekly. That he loves them like his own family was evident.

None of that excuses insensitive and offensive speech. I hope that he is able to ultimately take his part of the problem of racism and get to where he's part of the solution. It's honestly what I hope for myself.
Pilotgirl
Agreed...I saw a friend of his defending him on Twitter and was like "shouldn't Kaspar be the one talking here?" But I'm sure PR will get in that right quick.
SFASawmillGuy
nacluth said:

I'm saddened to see Kaspar being brought into this. I hope he's able to navigate these next few days with humility and not lose his career.

Extremely saddening. I had a few friends who played under him at SFA and they would often complain that he was extremely hard and heavy handed on the players, but I never would've imagined he would be the one to act like he's being accused of.

There's no way he keeps his job at TxSt, even if untrue these allegations completely kill their recruiting and puts a bad look out for their program. Hell. It looks bad for us. But I do hope for his sake he accepts this, apologizes, and retires with grace.
SFAJack_76
For those not on Twitter, or haven't seen this.
No-look
Just wondering what can of worms this could open across the nation?
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

For those not on Twitter, or haven't seen this.

Thanks for posting.

That's highly concerning & I hope TX State investigates it thoroughly.

These college coaches have got to be advocates & mentors for their guys, bc they might not have anyone else to step up to the plate for them.

I've seen similar comments come out about other coaches across the country & it's disheartening to think that these kids are playing for guys who harbor abhorrent views like these.
Pilotgirl
No-look said:

Just wondering what can of worms this could open across the nation?

Cans of worms need to be opened. There's no more hiding racism anymore. SM and videos are making sure of that and I say, GOD BLESS TECHNOLOGY.
PurpleOut
Staff
Quote:

Statement from Dr. Larry Teis Regarding Texas State Head Men's Basketball Coach Danny KasparI am aware of the allegations of former Texas State University men's basketball players regarding racially biased comments attributed to men's basketball head coach Danny Kaspar. I personally find these allegations deeply troubling.

I, and the entire Department of Athletics staff, take the concerns expressed by our former student-athletes very seriously. At my request, the university has launched a formal investigation through the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX. It is our top priority to fully cooperate with the investigation.

The Department of Athletics is committed to strengthening our university culture that values and supports diversity, equity and inclusion for our student-athletes, staff, and community.

SFAJack_76
Read the comments from many former players. Powerful.
BigJack85
I don't know Danny Kaspar personally but I have met him a number of times at alumni functions across the years.

None of things that are said about him at Texas State comport with what I have heard and witnessed about his character.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Powerful statements and tributes from former players. I would hope there is no rush to judgement by Tx State or the public until said investigation is completed.
SFAJack_76
We just watched this for free on Amazon Prime. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you do.
TallTexan
I've been wanting to watch that. We'l have to check it out.
Pilotgirl
https://dominiquegilliard.com/2020/01/20/just-mercy-discussion-guide/
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.