SFA Alumni Association

8,493 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BigJack85
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thread to discuss all things about our Alumni Association. Are you a member? If not, why not? What do you see as its strengths? Weaknesses? Opportunities? Etc.

This is a really important time for promotion of the university. The Alumni Association can play a big role in that. My belief is that they too need to make meaningful, positive change. There are some very good employees on the staff that really care about SFA. I think they are capable.

My wife and I, our son, our daughter, my brother and his wife, are all life members. I am not on the board, but have very recently started working with the organization some. I attended the last on site board meeting in February. There was good attendance with fairly broad engagement. Nonprofit boards can be tough to get to do real work.
BigJack85
I've been a member since 85'. I think they do some really solid work. If you aren't involved I recommend joining in.
Jacks4460
Turnage is 100% and is always willing to give an ear to whatever Alumni have to say.. People love the man and he makes everyone feel important... Its a good organization and wish I could be involved but I work too much..
PurpleOut
Staff
Life member with my wife, I'm also an Ambassador for Collin County. I get to/can help with watch parties and other events.

Everything is definitely getting better and growing. COVID unfortunately has hurt some of their events this year, but they have been much more proactive in trying to engage with alums. Still a ways to go, and they still have a small staff for the most part, but heading in the right direction.

I encourage anyone to reach out to them about joining or about being an ambassador in your area.
TallTexan
Marla and I need to sign up. We'd be happy to be members and to help put with getting others on board.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Marla and I need to sign up. We'd be happy to be members and to help put with getting others on board.
Outstanding!
SFA Jack Fanatic
I've been a Life Member since about 1980. I'm in Brazoria County (south of Houston) and there is zero activity by the Alumni Association in this area. Becoming an ambassador would be something I could seek my teeth into. What's involved?
nacluth
I went to school with several people that are key players there now. My wife was a year to year member for a while after college, then their fees took a big step up. Hasn't been one for a while.

The school I went to everyone is a lifetime alumni just for graduating, but it is also 8x smaller. Are there perks for membership besides supporting the school? I just ask because we donate to several SFA departments every year directly.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

I went to school with several people that are key players there now. My wife was a year to year member for a while after college, then their fees took a big step up. Hasn't been one for a while.

The school I went to everyone is a lifetime alumni just for graduating, but it is also 8x smaller. Are there perks for membership besides supporting the school? I just ask because we donate to several SFA departments every year directly.
I suggest you start by looking through the web site. If you have questions, let me know and I will get answers.

https://www.sfaalumni.com/
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I've been a Life Member since about 1980. I'm in Brazoria County (south of Houston) and there is zero activity by the Alumni Association in this area. Becoming an ambassador would be something I could seek my teeth into. What's involved?

Uh oh...me thinks Fanatic and Pilotgirl would make a great team down here!
Pilotgirl
Oh..and Life Member since 2005.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Let's crank it up, Pilot. Get your game face on. I'm going to call the Association on Tuesday (if anyone's there) and ask how to get involved in this area. Apparently, no one's in the driver's seat right now.
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Let's crank it up, Pilot. Get your game face on. I'm going to call the Association on Tuesday (if anyone's there) and ask how to get involved in this area. Apparently, no one's in the driver's seat right now.

GAME ON
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

GAME ON
Tell them I sent you.
BigJack85
When joined I believe the "life membership" was $200??? Not sure. I seem to remember I did 4 payments of $50. 1986
Pilotgirl
It was between 4 and 500 in 2005. I paid 25/month lol I was a poor student in grad school so that was a big purchase!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Well, I called the Alumni Association today and stated that I and a friend (Pilotgirl) want to get more involved in the Alumni Association in the Greater Houston area, even taking a leadership role in doing so if needed. The person I spoke to (the Secretary, I assume) simply said that she would take my contact information and give it to someone else. She was not very helpful.

When I pointed out that the Alumni website doesn't even provide any information on Chapters or Networks, she just said "Yes. The website needs to be updated." Then why the heck is it not being maintained?? (I didn't say that to her -- just my thoughts.) FYI: When someone clicks on the Chapters and Networks tab, the only thing that shows is an upcoming tour to Scotland that they're selling. Nothing about Chapters and Networks - no contacts or anything.

When I said that the university really needs the support of our alumni at this important time, she just said, "I understand. I'll get your information to someone."

A rather disappointing phone call. I don't want to draw any conclusions about the Alumni Association based on just one phone call to one Secretary, but that call didn't leave a good taste in my mouth.
TallTexan
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Alex Ranc is on the board Ed. You might reach out to her.
PurpleOut
Staff
I sent Craig an email this morning.

One thing that they've created recently (last year) is the SFA Professional Network program. Which also allows alums like us to mentor current students. https://sfamentorship.com/

I don't know if it's getting much use, because I haven't seen it mentioned at all except from the Alumni meetings I attended. They have a directory as well as a business directory (looks like my side business is the only one listed). I'm sure COVID doesn't help it.
TallTexan
Literally got a marketing email about Lumberjack Professional Network during lunch.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

Literally got a marketing email about Lumberjack Professional Network during lunch.
Same. That was the first one I've gotten in a few months. I'm signed up to be a mentor last year, but I don't think many students are aware or have access.
SFAJack_76
After expressing interest in volunteering, you should get a leadership application form to complete and return. That then should go to the executive committee of the board for approval to be an Ambassador. There are three board members that are regional chairs. The regions are DFW, Houston, and East Texas. Those region chairs are to provide a level of organization and leadership for the Ambassadors in their region. The staff is tasked with making all arrangements for all events.

That is a very short, reasonably accurate, summary of how the process should work. My personal observation is that their is opportunity to get much better.

Keep feedback coming.
sfajack05
I just joined last year during the first tailgate of the year and did the joint membership. I probably should have joined a long time ago. I'm going to renew again this year.

Several years ago the local chapter here attempted to do a monthly thing but it ended up turing into a young professionals group. The association did contact me during a couple of the tournaments because they were looking for someone to be the "host" or contact for the meet ups.

I would like to get more involved but it seems like the chapter where I am only reaches out to certain alumni and invites them to events.
Pilotgirl
I have the same impression for the last 15 years. Another good ol boys club. I understand how people are trying to change it but it's hard to get rid of that reputation.

My goal wouldn't be to join a professional networking club, which would be a natural outcome, but to spread word about SFA, support the missions, and bring SFA alum and students together.

I will try to send out some emails/tweets. Trying to wrap up this school year. So far, I am not impressed based on feedback or lack thereof. Sorry, 76. I hope I am proved wrong.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

After expressing interest in volunteering, you should get a leadership application form to complete and return. That then should go to the executive committee of the board for approval to be an Ambassador. There are three board members that are regional chairs. The regions are DFW, Houston, and East Texas. Those region chairs are to provide a level of organization and leadership for the Ambassadors in their region. The staff is tasked with making all arrangements for all events.

That is a very short, reasonably accurate, summary of how the process should work. My personal observation is that their is opportunity to get much better.

Keep feedback coming.

Thanks, 76. You just told me more in one paragraph than I've learned from being a member for a long, long, time.
SFAJack_76
Don't apologize for facts and data. My desire is to help it improve. As best I can.
SFAJack_76
LadyJack2013
YES YOU DO SIR. I will be contacting you about this soon. You have opened the flood gates now.
LadyJack2013
Hi Nacluth!
Yes, there are several benefits for joining the Association at either Annual or Life membership levels. I have posted the link below, scroll to the bottom and you will see all the benefits as well as levels. If you have any questions, I would recommend emailing chatmana@sfaus.edu since they University is still closed for the most part due to COVID and the employees all work from home and only one or two are in the office a few times a week to check up on things.... or me at ladyjack2011@gmail.com ( I am on the alumni board)
https://www.sfaalumni.com/page/join
LadyJack2013
Hey Jack Fans!
Great discussion about wanting to help out the Alumni Association and engage alums in your area! We love to see this. Thanks for starting it, Alan! We need all the help we can get promoting our university especially to our amazing and spirited alums!

So few updates:
Since COVID the alumni office like the rest of the university is closed so pretty much no one is there most of the time and recently they had to take a furlough day (Friday, May 22nd) and Monday was a holiday so if you tried to contact them then, there was no one there. But they do check email and voicemails constantly.

I had a conversation today with our Director of Alumni Events & Engagement about how during this time we can still get y'all involved. Since the Governor is slowing reopening Texas, down the road there MIGHT be some opportunities in your local areas to get involved. They can't do much right now but that may change...it is waiting game tbh. COVID really messed with a lot of AMAZING events that were planned for the Spring by the staff.

If you want to get involved or are at least interested in what all you can do as an alumni to stay engaged, there is a process now. JackFan_76 pretty much summed it up above but it is an application and that will be on the website soon. I know the staff is working hard together but apart digitally and virtually meeting to figure out easier ways to make this process go smoothly during this time and post-covid life.

For now, if you want one, just email mortonae@sfasu.edu, morasl@sfasu.edu, or even myself ladyjack2011@gmail.com and we will get you one!

I know that she talked to a few of you already because she got your contact info the other day, which is great! Keep that up!

You can also always contact any of the board members listed below that are in your area if you know them on social media or if you have their email and they will help you figure things out as well or help you find the right person to contact if they don't know the answer personally.

Alumni Association Board of Directors:
President -- Bob Francis '78, Bullard, TX
President-Elect -- Charlotte Ashcraft '80, Nacogdoches, TX
Past President -- David Madrid '02, Bossier City, LA
Tony Both '98, Katy, TX
Larry Brooks '01, Houston, TX
Reuben Brown '07, Grand Prairie, TX
Jeremy Cleverly '98, Mansfield, TX
Pamm Coleman '80, Houston, TX
Brian Dawson '03, The Woodlands, TX
James Drennan '73, Pittsburg, TX
Mark Friedman '91, Allen, TX
Mike Harbordt '63, Nacogdoches, TX
Samuel Khoury '97, Longview, TX
Steve McCarty '65 & '70, Alto, TX
Jacyln Partin '08 & '14, Tyler, TX
Alex Ranc '11 & '13, Nacogdoches, TX
Erika Tolar '02, Spring, TX
Bob Williams '70, Dallas, TX

Hopefully, this is helpful. We are trying our best to maintain and generate engagement with alums during this time and even before this pandemic....we (as a board and the office staff) have been working hard to create new ways to reach everyone.

For now, you can do what we are told every day and every board meeting from the staff on ways we can help:

Thanks for being enthusiastic and loyal Alums!
#AxeEm #LumberjacksMakeGreatAlumni

Alex Ranc, SFASU Alumni Board of Directors
Class of '11 & '13

PurpleOut
Staff
Thanks Alex!
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Thanks Alex!
Ditto.
LadyJack2013
Y'all are welcome. COVID has really slowed everything down to almost an absolute stop at the Alumni office. They are having to be creative and do everything almost virtually/via social media right now. And we are working on getting more people involved to help with some projects coming up for the school but event wise, it's halted.

So just keep sharing, posting, liking, and commenting on social media until this pandemic is over and life can get back to normal-ish.

But they did just announce the Summer Perk Up promotions! This will help keep alumni involved a little bit for now!
#AxeEm
#WeSTILLBeatDuke
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Thanks for posting 76'. I've been a member since 1987 (when it cost $200). I can attest to the value of being a alumni association member. Please join if you aren't a member already.

Axe 'Em Jacks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.