Engineering Program @SFASU

2,786 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My son is a JR in HS and wants to go into either Chemical Engineering or Petroleum Engineering.. He has 3 other family members in the Oil and Gas business that have influenced him well and he sees the $$ tut can be earned with good hard work and knowledge... Do we have any programs like that? He loves Nacogdoches and wants to possibly go to school there but if they don't offer a program that would be a bummer... All I could find was a pre-engineering degree.. thanks for any input it is appreciated..
BigJack85
I would contact Dan Bruton the director of the engineering/physics program. SFA has a developing engineering program. He might be able to let you know the potential programs they are adding. At one time they were considering a number of engineering disciplines (Electrical/Mechanical) as extensions of the current Engineering-Physics degrees. My firm donated a small amount of equipment for the STEM building. During that time I had some surface level conversations with the folks overseeing the project (STEM building).
nacluth
Also, the geology department is pretty closely tied with petroleum firms that work in East Texas. They could maybe help make contacts or point in the right direction.

Also, petrochemical firms a lot of time will pay for college if you commit to work with their firms for so long. It gives one less freedom, but I thought I would throw it out there.
Jacks4460
Thanks for the responses.. I will persue it some more... I figured with the Cole STEM building maybe some engineering degrees could be offered...
Jacks4460
nacluth said:

Also, the geology department is pretty closely tied with petroleum firms that work in East Texas. They could maybe help make contacts or point in the right direction.

Yes sir I am a proud graduate from our Geology Dept.
I may hit Dr Neilson up he was my old professor and he is still there..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

nacluth said:

Yes sir I am a proud graduate from our Geology Dept.
I may hit Dr Neilson up he was my old professor and he is still there..
I'm impressed by you geologists. I made the mistake of taking that as an elective one time. Enjoyed the classroom part, but identifying rocks nearly sunk me.
TallTexan
Isn't engineering a 4 year degree usually?

So what exactly is pre-engineering in that context?
BigJack85
Lots of physics and math lol.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Lots of physics and math lol.
What do you do with it though? Do you have to go get a grad degree in engineering to be able to get a job?

I assumed, and this may just be me not knowing, that for engineering you had to have a specific engineering degree to be able to be an engineer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.