Beer/wine sales at athletic events

7,203 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Starting it's own thread, as Northwestern State will begin to sell beer and spiked seltzers at Baseball, Softball, and Football events. Why no basketball, I don't know. But it's a big topic and a road I hope we go down. Almost everything I've seen from schools that now sell alcohol, is positive. Especially the revenue.

I started a poll on Twitter as well.

SFAJack_76
Posted elsewhere also, but adding it to this thread.
PurpleOut
Staff
Overwhelming voting so far in favor, 73% of 151 votes. And 12% for "Don't Care" so it's even more overwhelming. Thought it might be a little closer.
BigJack85
We need the revenue and I like beer.......
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Admittedly I'm not a drinker and I like taking my kids to sporting events where I don't have to worry about the ones who have over-imbibed. However, I'm not opposed to revenue if it doesn't affect the fan experience.
PurpleOut
Staff
My thing is, if you WANT to drink at a game, you'll find a way. I've had plenty of drinks inside our venues, and places all around the country that didn't sell alcohol inside the stadium (my younger days mostly). So I don't see why not just make it available.

I get the point there might be a chance of more drunks, but I don't think I've ever been to a place that sold alcohol that seemed night and day different. But that's just my opinion.
SFAJack_76
On the subject. Perhaps SFA does a partnership with Fredonia Brewing?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-football-turns-to-an-unlikely-savior-beer-beer-and-more-beer-11565956854
PurpleOut
Staff
75% out of 265 votes was the final number. I think that's some good research for everyone.
BigJack85
Agreed. Bring on the booze.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Admittedly I'm not a drinker and I like taking my kids to sporting events where I don't have to worry about the ones who have over-imbibed. However, I'm not opposed to revenue if it doesn't affect the fan experience.

I'm a teetotaler too, but I'll take the revenue.

I don't think you'd notice much of a difference at football games, given the pregame tailgating. Our friends up at WVU even found that they had to kick out fewer people for public drunkenness once they started selling beer in the stadium because people weren't getting absolutely loaded before the game to hold them until halftime.

It'd be slightly different at basketball, but I think what you'd see is a few people having a brew but no one getting out of hand because it'd be far too easy to get kicked out with 3 to 4k people at a game. And maybe for basketball they do something like Saturday games only to start out.

Overall though, I think it could be a good revenue stream for the university.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

FYI. Lamar will be serving alcohol at football, baseball, and basketball games this year.

And for the record, I'm one of those who voted against alcohol at SFA events in your poll. There are already too many kids who become binge drinkers once they leave home and get to college. Some things in life are more important than money.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

FYI. Lamar will be serving alcohol at football, baseball, and basketball games this year

To be fair, if I had to watch Lamar every week I'd probably start imbibing lol.

SFA should serve champaign for celebrating all the winning we're gonna be doing.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

FYI. Lamar will be serving alcohol at football, baseball, and basketball games this year.

And for the record, I'm one of those who voted against alcohol at SFA events in your poll. There are already too many kids who become binge drinkers once they leave home and get to college. Some things in life are more important than money.
I agree with that point in terms of binge drinking, but the student attendance would be a low priority factor here. The majority aren't going to be 21 and couldn't purchase inside anyways. Those that are 21 probably aren't going to have the money to spend $7 for a beer anyway, when they can get a 12-pack for almost that price and sit outside.

I do think it can help attendance slightly, but I don't see it as a big factor (compared to revenue).
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I agree with that point in terms of binge drinking, but the student attendance would be a low priority factor here. The majority aren't going to be 21 and couldn't purchase inside anyways. Those that are 21 probably aren't going to have the money to spend $7 for a beer anyway, when they can get a 12-pack for almost that price and sit outside.

I do think it can help attendance slightly, but I don't see it as a big factor (compared to revenue).

Good points, Purple.
drhuggybear
I am in the I don't drink group but I understand the drive to sell it because of the revenue it would generate.

If there is oversight on it so if someone starts getting out of hand that the problem will be dealt with swiftly. I have been to enough events where one drunk ruins it for everyone.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
sfajack05
I had to give up drinking but I'm totally fine with them serving beer during games. Hell they have alcohol (well at least when I was at SFA) in the box seats. Why not let others enjoy if they want to? You might get a few more students to come to the game and you'll earn some more money for the university.

It also might cut down on the people that sneak in hard alcohol and get out of control.

I like the idea of partnering with Fredonia Brewery.

PurpleOut
Staff
It's on!

https://www.ktre.com/2019/11/13/beer-wine-sales-starting-sfa-basketball-games/
PurpleOut
Staff
So some initial thoughts on it.

I'm 100% for it, I've expressed that for a long time, so I'm happy to see it start taking shape already. It makes a TON of sense revenue wise.

I'm assuming this season is going to be mostly testing the waters to see how it goes. Because I don't especially care for the one section consumption part. I don't want to miss much of the game and feel like it might be hard to monitor people in and out of one section. The concourse section is fine for now, but I think making that some sort of club area special for alcohol (including liquor) would be a better idea. I don't want this to take away from the overall crowd, having people leave their seats and not be able to go back until they finish their drink.

I'm still fine with it for now, and excited to see how it goes. I'll definitely partake before the game and during halftime.
TallTexan
Lol at the game on Saturday, they had consistent bud light and bar ads and I was thinking, we should sell this.

I'm in the don't drink crowd, but so long as no one's spilling it on me I'll be fine.
SFAJack_76
It will be interesting to hear the thought process behind the one section approach. I certainly will not leave my seat to go drink a beer, and then go sit again.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

It will be interesting to hear the thought process behind the one section approach. I certainly will not leave my seat to go drink a beer, and then go sit again.
If I had to guess, probably to prove that it's not gonna lead to unruly fans or wild fisticuffs.

Introduce it there, then expand it throughout the arena.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I sure hope you're wrong about that! Keep all alcohol away from kids, families, and people like me who can't stand being around it.
CertifiedAxeman98
I don't drink much this is not something I care about one way or the other. We go to pro games and people drink around us there and have not had any real issues.

Only issue I have is with them limiting it to section 115 and that concession stand. My tickets are in section 119 and I currently have to walk all the way around the gym to get there. So the only concession stand and restrooms available to me are near 115. I would expect this area will now be more congested than before. When the plywood comes down this will have little impact on me.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

I sure hope you're wrong about that! Keep all alcohol away from kids, families, and people like me who can't stand being around it.
I am a non drinker myself but we need the $$... People can still drink responsibly..I would sell it in cups instead of bottles or cans or however they are selling it.. In a cup at least people don't have to look at it...
corleycl
This is a good move by the University. Like it or not, more people will attend games because they can have a drink. Plus, it generates more revenue so I'm all for it.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

Unless it's a personal thing, I don't see the big deal. I've been and seen alcohol throughout pro and college baseball, basketball, football, soccer stadiums. The only issue I've ever seen is at NFL games, but NFL fans are terrible in general. It's not like every fan in the arena is going to have a beer or throw it at someone. In my lifetime I've had more sodas and popcorn spilled on me compared to beer.

It's a universal thing now, and 99% of the time there will never be an issue. That 1% of the time a person will be removed from the arena/stadium.
sfajack05
I bet there will be changes throughout the season as far as where you can drink it. It's not like it has a county line going down the middle of it like the old baseball park in Kilgore where that summer league team played and you could only drink on one side.
Pilotgirl
100% THIS!
SFAJack_76
My better half suggested that perhaps having the consumption restricted to the section of the point of purchase would in part be to keep it from being passed on to under aged folks. Perhaps this is a way to allay concerns of some? No doubt, it will change over time.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

My better half suggested that perhaps having the consumption restricted to the section of the point of purchase would in part be to keep it from being passed on to under aged folks. Perhaps this is a way to allay concerns of some?

She is 100% right. Anyone who thinks that wouldn't happen is naive to the max.
CertifiedAxeman98
Now that they have beer can we get some low carb options other than a hot dog without the bun.
SFAJack_76
The TABC has requirements about the sale of alcohol that restricts it to an approved area. You are charged for the square footage of the area that is "redlined" for the sale and consumption. If we were to sell it at a concession stand, the entire coliseum would have to be paid for. This is a way to ease into it to determine real interest before broadening it out to the entire area, while managing the upfront cost.

For example, alumni corner for football games is within an approved redlined area. Sale and/or consumption outside of that area could lead to removal of the license.

Or, something like that.
TallTexan
Gotcha. That makes a lot of sense. And we're definitely not gonna sell enough most games to have the biggest bar licensing tab in all of East Texas. But it will be a nice revenue stream.
ibtsoom
I enjoyed a couple last night. It was disappointing to see people abuse the section 115 requirement. I saw a few drinks in adjoining sections. No students all people 30 + who know better and are going to ruin it for everyone else. Campus PD just standing there.
nacluth
I sat beside the section with my three young kids. It was not bad and they didn't notice anything. By the end of the game, one group was getting a little chatty, but no big deal at all.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.