Nacogdoches- August 2, 1832

3,156 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Worth a read.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Worth a read.

Thanks 76 good read...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Excellent read. There's so much Texas history right under our noses that most people don't know about.

Call me crazy, but I think an overview of Nacogdoches' and East Texas' history should be a part of incoming Freshman orientation. They would appreciate the city, the school, and the area even more.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Excellent read. There's so much Texas history right under our noses that most people don't know about.

Call me crazy, but I think an overview of Nacogdoches' and East Texas' history should be a part of incoming Freshman orientation. They would appreciate the city, the school, and the area even more.
Great idea...I would pass that up the chain and yes they would apprexciate the city the school and the area even more...
TallTexan
East Texas history in general could make an entire class and is massively undertaught in Texas if I may say so myself.

Some crazy, interesting, and/or horrible facts:
  • Athens, TX produced the two richest guys in the world at one time in Clint Murchison & Richardson
  • Slocum Massacre, in 1910 an armed mob killed somewhere between 8-20 black Americans when local white agitators spread a rumor that the local black community was planning to exterminate the white community. Some estimates say over a hundred may have been killed. No one was ever prosecuted.
  • East Texas Oil Field has produced 5+ billion barrels of oil so far.
  • When Palestine's Street Car service was shutdown, they shipped the carriages to Dallas to start Dallas' streetcar service.
  • Nacogdoches native & Lumberjack Joseph Kennedy co-discovered Plutonimium, at age 24. He also went on to teach post war at Washington University in St Louis & helped transform the university by bringing many of his fellow scientists with him.
  • Judge William Justice, an Athens Native & Tyler based federal judge desegregated the schools of Texas via court order in 1970, over a decade after Brown vs Board of Education, placing over 1000 school districts in non compliance under his control.

Feels like a lot of times, East Texas' contributions to this great Texan experiment are glossed over. Some people act like the state doesn't exist outside of the 4 main metros.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

East Texas history in general could make an entire class and is massively undertaught in Texas if I may say so myself.

Some crazy, interesting, and/or horrible facts:

Feels like a lot of times, East Texas' contributions to this great Texan experiment are glossed over. Some people act like the state doesn't exist outside of the 4 main metros.

And let's not forget Bonnie and Clyde...
Jacks4460
Nice Texan... thank you
SFAJack_76
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.