Favorite SFA Athletics moment

4,293 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Txjack
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
The "Social Experiment" stuff on Twitter is a little annoying to be honest, but there's really nothing else going on. If you have Twitter, reply to the tweet. But let's also start a thread here, I know we have some older posters, so I'm looking forward to some responses.

TallTexan
I've got two, or atleast I'm giving myself two since I've already mentioned the first one twice on twitter:

2009 BOTPW.

SFA: 42
Orange Skunks: 3

On campus where it should be, game was a blast and an absolute demolishing. It was glorious!

And for the 2nd one, lots of good options, but I've got to go with Shannon slaying the Bears. Outside of Sam Houston, there's nobody I like to see lose more than Baylor. And Shannon was incredible to finish out that game.
nacluth
Seeing Des drain the three pointer and subsequent free throw with my brother in law at my father in law's house. Pure elation. Jumping, screaming, high fives, yelling "Yes, Yes, Yes!" Most pumped I've been watching a sporting event.

Honorable mentions: the Parker slam the same year. Pandemonium in WRJ; Watching the tight '93 Sweet 16 game against Vandy in Nacogdoches.
No-look
nacluth said:

Seeing Des drain the three pointer and subsequent free throw with my brother in law at my father in law's house. Pure elation. Jumping, screaming, high fives, yelling "Yes, Yes, Yes!" Most pumped I've been watching a sporting event.

Honorable mentions: the Parker slam the same year. Pandemonium in WRJ; Watching the tight '93 Sweet 16 game against Vandy in Nacogdoches.
This!
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Watching the tight '93 Sweet 16 game against Vandy in Nacogdoches.
Whoa, what's this now?
nacluth
It's the game that cemented my fandom. We had been going to Ladyjacks games since we moved back to town in '89. But in 92-93, the Ladyjacks were incredible, and the whole town was buzzing. After they won their two games on the east coast, SFA hosted the Regional Sweet 16's and Elite 8 games. (They did this several years in the 90's.)

Went with my mom when I was 14 and the place was packed. Just remember a tight game that could have gone either way. Vandy got it in the end, and went on to the final four. Maybe beating LSU? I can't say I knew much about college basketball at the time, but I knew I liked it.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ladyjacks bball vs Vandy, NCAA playoffs ..Vandy had 7 footer and top ranked in nation. Trena Tillis had the job of guarding her and did an exceptional job in spite of height difference. Ladyjacks led a good portion of the way, crowd really supportive and into it.....don't recall exact time but maybe 6 or 7 minutes left in game the 30 second clocks malfunctioned and there was a long delay and finally some large clocks (looked like oversized fans) were rolled out from somewhere and finally game continued. Momentum changed, Vandy gained advantage and went on to win the game. Up until clock issue I believe we were on the way to a huge upset win.

It was also the end of the Gary Blair era.....I still blame those damn clocks.
Pilotgirl
Being there and around the Baylor fans when that happened=Priceless Moment.
BigJack85
1. SFA vs VCU - at a bar in The Heights that was alumni owned.

2. 1983 SFA vs SWT. I believe SWT had a 25 game winning streak. We won on a last second field goal. Goals posts came down.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
For me....

1) The four-point play that eventually led to beating VCU in the Big Dance. I celebrated just like Nacluth said he did.

2) The end of a 57-54 Jacks football playoff win vs. Grambling in the first round of 1-AA playoffs in 1989 (the year we lost 37-34 to Georgia Southern in the championship game). 111 points scored on the day. That was the wildest football game I've ever seen in person at any level. Both teams scored on just about every possession all day long. Fortunately, SFA got the ball last and put it in the end zone at the end to win it.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'll add mine that I posted on Twitter.

2003 Southland Tournament Semifinals vs UTA in Arlington at the Stage. We were down 5 with 40 seconds left. Marcus Clark hit a three, UTA missed the front end of a one-and-one and then Antonio Burks hits the game winning three and we advance to the Championship. We (students/Hecklers) had taken a bus from Nac. We hopped the railing, pushed over the bench and rushed the court.

The Walkup experience however, probably means the most to me.
djsfw57
There have been quite a few thrilling moments for me over the years, so I'll just go with my earliest. I was a junior or senior (late 70s) and the Ladyjacks beat the defending national champion Texas. I don't think I had ever screamed that much in my life
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yeah Big, I was at that 83 game also...being from Austin I had a strong dislike for SWT at the time. Enjoyed that late Field Goal and talking some noise when I got back home.
BigJack85
One of my roommates looked at me after the field goal and said: "I'm going to tear down the goalposts, I'll do it by myself if I have to!"
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
sfajack05
Ryan Rosner game winning field goal against Sam at Sam on a Thursday night.
Txjack
The WV game. We had an impromptu watch party watching the game on a big screen i had purchased a couple of days earlier. I had not time to attach to the wall so i had put it on chairs secured with bungee cords, I was having trouble getting the surround sound to work, then when i did the first thing i hear is Verne Lundquist, who has always been one of my favorites, say "the Lumberjacks from Nacogdoches Texas!".
We WON that game...no little engine that could, or fluke. We belonged in that tourney and it was some more national exposure for our program.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.