High School Sports 2018-2019

13,696 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starting a new thread for high school sports. There appears to be other Sawmillers who love following the high schools as much as I do, so rather than continuing to sprinkle HS stuff in other places we can centralize them here...
-----------------------

My predictions for Class 6-A Division 1 football playoffs this past week were:

Southlake Carroll over Duncanville
Waco Midway over Allen
North Shore over Cy-Fair
Converse Judson over Lake Travis

Winners were Duncanville, Allen, North Shore, and Lake Travis. Shows my expertise (or lack thereof) at HS pick 'ems.

Class 6-A Division 2 winners were Amarillo Tascosa, Longview, Beaumont West Brook, and Austin Westlake. I'll make my predictions on the 6-A semifinal games in a couple of days. Feel free to make yours.

Other interesting game results from yesterday saw Dallas Highland Park come from way behind to beat Tyler John Tyler in Class 5-A Division 1, Aledo marching toward another title in 5-A Division 2, Carthage once again looking strong in 4-A, Newton in 3-A, and San Augustine in 2-A. Interesting to note that several of those schools are in East Texas. I hope Coach Carthel is paying attention (I'm sure he is.)
SFAXE93
Carthage taking on Liberty Hill.

I live just a mile or two from Liberty Hill and the fan base here is pumped wearing their purple Panther gear everywhere.

I'll be pulling for my Northeast Texas roots with Carthage but stay quiet about it around here in Leander.
TallTexan
Great idea Ed! I don't keep up with them like you guys do, but I enjoy the updates and it should definitely have it's own thread.
sfajack05
"Class 6-A Division 2 winners were Amarillo Tascosa, Longview, Beaumont West Brook, and Austin Westlake."

I'll take Longview over Tascosa and Westlake over West Brook.

Longview over Westlake in the championship.

Carthel recruits Kamden Perry from Longview and he's named SLC Freshman of the Year.

Also, Carthage continues their dominance and wins the state title for 4A Division I.

cboothe09
I want Haynes King in Nac
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

"Class 6-A Division 2 winners were Amarillo Tascosa, Longview, Beaumont West Brook, and Austin Westlake."

I'll take Longview over Tascosa and Westlake over West Brook.

Longview over Westlake in the championship.

Carthel recruits Kamden Perry from Longview and he's named SLC Freshman of the Year.

Also, Carthage continues their dominance and wins the state title for 4A Division I.

I always find the 2 division thing amusing.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Who is he? (King)
SFA Jack Fanatic
05, I agree with all of your picks. (That means we're probably screwed.)
cboothe09
Quarterback for Longview. Kid is legit
Txjack
TallTexan said:

Great idea Ed! I don't keep up with them like you guys do, but I enjoy the updates and it should definitely have it's own thread.
Ditto... I use to love going to high school games while I was going to SFA; the smaller the schools, the better. Really miss those road trips on Friday nights. Still like to keep an eye on the standings (esp. East Tx).
cboothe09
We have Newton and East Bernard playing in our stadium on Friday night. I think that will be worth watching, just to say I got a chance to see Newton play...
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

We have Newton and East Bernard playing in our stadium on Friday night. I think that will be worth watching, just to say I got a chance to see Newton play...
Does our admissions team do anything when we host HS games? Seems like these would be an excellent opportunity to hand out marketing materials/offer free applications,etc.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here is a link to a list of all of the Texas playoff games and locations this week.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2018/11/13/2018-texas-high-school-football-playoff-times-and-locations?ref=article_preview_img
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here are my predicted winners for this week's Semi-final games (take this and $6 and go buy a cup of overpriced coffee at Starbucks)...

6-A Division 1: Duncanville, North Shore
Division 2: Longview, Westlake

5-A Division 1: Highland Park, Shadow Creek
Division 2: Aledo, FB Marshall

4-A Division 1: LaVega, Carthage
Division 2: Pleasant Grove, Silsbee

3-A Division 1: Brock, Yoakum
Division 2: Canadian, Newton

2-A Division 1: San Saba, San Augustine
Division 2: Gruver, Mart

1-A Division 1: M ilford
Division 2: Strawn

I have to admit, my picks on 1-A (Six-man Finals) are pure shots in the dark. I have no clue...)

SFA Jack Fanatic
edstile said:

Here are my predicted winners for this week's Semi-final games (take this and $6 and go buy a cup of overpriced coffee at Starbucks)...

5-A Division 1: Shadow Creek

Footnote about the Shadow Creek Sharks ... They are 14-0 and in the 5-A State Semi-Finals in their first season of varsity football. That's pretty special.
Txjack
Quote:

Footnote about the Shadow Creek Sharks ... They are 14-0 and in the 5-A State Semi-Finals in their first season of varsity football. That's pretty special.

Its got to be in the water. That whole Manvel/Pearland/Angleton area is growing football players....
cboothe09
edstile said:

edstile said:

5-A Division 1: Shadow Creek

Knocked us out in the first round. We had a halftime lead, but they woke up and pulled away in the second half.
TallTexan
Incredible ending.

SFAJack_76
Some really good games. Congrats to Longview on their state championship.

On my bucket list to go watch four days of state championship high school football.
No-look
Good games this year. Longview was due.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Both 6-A games were great, but the North Shore - Duncanville game was a classic. If you missed it, you missed arguably the best HS game of the year!

I thought North Shore would win it all in 6-A Division 1 this year, but I didn't think it would be that difficult in the final. Congrats to both the Mustangs and Panthers. No one deserved to lose that game. They were without a doubt the two best teams in the state, better than either Longview or West Brook, IMO.

(BTW, how about that Aledo team, too?!)
cboothe09
Stayed up for the entire NS/Duncanville game. Wow! They definitely did Houston proud. One of the best teams to come out of the Houston area and Duncanville didnt bat an eye. Respect to the Panthers.
Didn't realize the youth NS had. Pretty sure they will be back in Arlington next year...
Pilotgirl
Just saw the ending
...Aaron Rodgers eat your heart out!
SFAJack_76
Great video work.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Houston Strake Jesuit senior sprinter Matthew Boling ran a 9.98 100 meter dash at the Region III meet on Friday. He's turning heads in the USA Track and Field world. He's headed to Georgia next year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Houston Strake Jesuit senior sprinter Matthew Boling ran a 9.98 100 meter dash at the Region III meet on Friday. He's turning heads in the USA Track and Field world. He's headed to Georgia next year.

It has been confirmed that Boling's 9.98 in the 100 meters is a high school world record. Amazing.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

He was absolutely flying.

Also, every P5 T&F program in Texas should fire their recruiters.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Truth be told, he had a slight tailwind. (BTW, I recently had a tailwind and clocked a 35 flat. Hasn't yet been certified by any T&F governing body though.)
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Truth be told, he had a slight tailwind. (BTW, I recently had a tailwind and clocked a 35 flat. Hasn't yet been certified by any T&F governing body though.)

Consider it officially Sawmill Certified. That's fast enough to advance to a one on one race with Sawmill's champion speedster Nacluth.

Train hard this summer, the championship race will be held at the first football tailgate of the season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Consider it officially Sawmill Certified. That's fast enough to advance to a one on one race with Sawmill's champion speedster Nacluth.

Train hard this summer, the championship race will be held at the first football tailgate of the season.

Unfortunately, I almost always have an injury-riddled Fall sprinting campaign, so there's a very good chance that won't happen. Wouldn't want to embarrass that fellow in front of his impressionable three rug rats anyway.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Richardson Pearce trailed 14-2 going into the bottom of the 7th inning tonight in a HS baseball playoff game with South Grand Prairie. Pearce scored 13 in that inning to win 15-14. What a comeback!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

It has been confirmed that Boling's 9.98 in the 100 meters is a high school world record. Amazing.

Here's an update on Strake Jesuit HS sprinter Matthew Boling

In addition to his fastest-ever HS 100 meter time of 9.98, his 20.55 in the 200 meters is 3rd in the nation, his 26' 3.5" is 2nd in the nation, and he ran a 46.15 400 meters last year (he's not running it this year). At one point this year, he had the top national marks in the 100, 200, and long jump at the same time.

Before this year, he was recruited by Georgia for his 400 meter success. No other major schools showed much interest, so he signed with the Bulldogs earlier this school year. He only started concentrating on the shorter sprints this Spring. In one of the first meets this year, Boling had to ask his coach if he could run in the 100. He ran a 10.2. One month later he ran a wind-aided 9.98.

He'll be running in the UIL state meet this weekend. Expect to see him in the Olympics, probably in 2024. But at the rate that he's progressing, maybe even in 2020. Who knows?

Oh, and did I mention that he's a white dude?
TallTexan
He's so fast. And it's crazy that he's gotten that much faster in the short sprints.
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

JHouston Strake Jesuit senior sprinter Matthew Boling ran a 9.98 100 meter dash at the Region III meet on Friday. He's turning heads in the USA Track and Field world. He's headed to Georgia next year.

Here's an update on Strake Jesuit HS sprinter Matthew Boling

In addition to his fastest-ever HS 100 meter time of 9.98, his 20.55 in the 200 meters is 3rd in the nation, his 26' 3.5" is 2nd in the nation, and he ran a 46.15 400 meters last year (he's not running it this year). At one point this year, he had the top national marks in the 100, 200, and long jump at the same time.

Before this year, he was recruited by Georgia for his 400 meter success. No other major schools showed much interest, so he signed with the Bulldogs earlier this school year. He only started concentrating on the shorter sprints this Spring. In one of the first meets this year, Boling had to ask his coach if he could run in the 100. He ran a 10.2. One month later he ran a wind-aided 9.98.

He'll be running in the UIL state meet this weekend. Expect to see him in the Olympics, probably in 2024. But at the rate that he's progressing, maybe even in 2020. Who knows?

I'm perplexed at that last statement.
SFA Jack Fanatic
djsfw57 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm perplexed at that last statement.

Don't be. He laughs about it when it's mentioned. Boling: "It doesn't offend me. I laugh about it sometimes. It doesn't bother me at all. I just keep running."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.