2018 Southland Bowling Championship

10,465 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The 2018 SLC Bowling Championship is airing live now on YouTube. This is the first year that the champion gets an automatic bid to the NCAA championships. The Southland has been a power conference in bowling the last couple of years and are almost assured of at least one of the four at large bids after the 6 league winning qualifiers. SFA is seeded 4th, but have a decent chance to win the tournament with strong experience.

Also the fast pace of the team competition makes it pretty fun to watch.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Do we have any bowling cheers I should be aware of?

Chanting defense and yelling at the refs doesn't seem applicable here.
nacluth
Man they do have the bowling cheers. I'm just yelling "You still suck!" every time they make a strike, but you can here these girls have pretty intense cheers and chants.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I'm just yelling "You still suck!" every time they make a strike
Uh, please wear Prison Tech gear when you yell that, Ryan....
Jacks4460
You two are diehard Lumberjacks if you are watching bowling!!! Kudos to both of you... HEHEHEHEHEHE!
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Man they do have the bowling cheers. I'm just yelling "You still suck!" every time they make a strike, but you can here these girls have pretty intense cheers and chants.
I think I'll go with "Roll it like you stole it".

Not sure how it's applicable in any way but it really sounds good.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

You two are diehard Lumberjacks if you are watching bowling!!! Kudos to both of you... HEHEHEHEHEHE!
Hey, we have to support our most nationally competitive program. These athletes don't come to SFA for nothing.
TallTexan
Gotta get some heckling going. PrisonTech uses house balls.
TallTexan
Anyone know what the oil pattern is for today?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Anyone know what the oil pattern is for today?
Please don't lose your day job, Texan. No comedy club is ever going to take a chance on you!

(And BTW, I think it's 10w40)

nacluth
SFA won both matches of the day including against the #1 seed Arkansas State. Made the next round in the winner's bracket tomorrow.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

SFA won both matches of the day including against the #1 seed Arkansas State. Made the next round in the winner's bracket tomorrow.
I'll keep working on my cheers for tomorrow, they just need a bit of polish & they'll be ready for the big time.
BigJack85
That we have a thread on bowling is the best. I don't imagine there's a single division 1 school that has an active forum on college bowling!!!!!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
BigJack85 said:

That we have a thread on bowling is the best. I don't imagine there's a single division 1 school that has an active forum on college bowling!!!!!!!
This is what happens when you win a national championship. Fame and glory. All hail SFA!
SFA Jack Fanatic
I just noticed that under the Other Sports tab at the top of the page that Bowling is not listed. Tennis, Cross Country, and Track & Field, too. Isaac, what do you have to say about this travesty?
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Today's semifinals match versus Vanderbilt. Live at 1:30.

SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks
Watched the National Championship match last year and enjoyed the big win over Nebraska, hopefully get a chance to watch tomorrow.
TallTexan
SFA vs Arkansas State for the Championship is on now for those interested.
TallTexan
Arkansas State bowls like a bunch of feeble fingered peasant women.

nacluth
nacluth
Well because of the peculiar nature of the SLC Bowling bracket, it's double elimination unless you're undefeated to the championship game like we were. Then you lose, you're done.

We lost by 23 pins in the finals. We beat them by 27 pins in an earlier match, but we get second. Random. Most double elimination tournaments give everyone a second chance, but oh well.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Well because of the peculiar nature of the SLC Bowling bracket, it's double elimination unless you're undefeated to the championship game like we were. Then you lose, you're done.

We lost by 23 pins in the finals. We beat them by 27 pins in an earlier match, but we get second. Random. Most double elimination tournaments give everyone a second chance, but oh well.
Well, kiss a fat pig!
SFAJack_76
Almost certain to get an invite to the NCAA championship April 12-14 in St. Louis. Win today would have been an automatic invite.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I've thought this was a dumb idea since I was a kid. Double elimination should mean double elimination.
nacluth
Despite beating the top two seeds (Arkansas St & Vandy) in the SLC tournament and bowling much stronger than Sam Houston lately, SFA was left out of the NCAA championships where the other three teams were invited. There were four at large bids and SFA's RPI was dead even with Sam's before the SLC tournament, but still inexplicably left out. Oh well. No national Championship this year.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Despite beating the top two seeds (Arkansas St & Vandy) in the SLC tournament and bowling much stronger than Sam Houston lately, SFA was left out of the NCAA championships where the other three teams were invited. There were four at large bids and SFA's RPI was dead even with Sam's before the SLC tournament, but still inexplicably left out. Oh well. No national Championship this year.
Well, kiss a fat pig!!!!
TallTexan
nacluth said:

That's a definite gutter ball by the committee. So are we headed to the CBI(College Bowling Invitational) now?
BigJack85
Bummer. Bummer. A real "Munson" get the Kingpin pun?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Perhaps finishing 16th in the previous tournament knocked them out. Still, they were ranked in the top 6 or 7 all season. This makes no sense. I would love to hear an explanation.
nacluth
My guess is that it's because it's the first year that the NCAA bowling championship took in automatic bids. The 6 Bowling leagues got in a team and then there were four at large bids. I think they just felt like they couldn't pull four from one league and two from another while four only get one. I guess it's a little punishment for being the dominant league right now to just get three. At some point they will split up this Southland, but until then got to finish in the top three in our league.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

My guess is that it's because it's the first year that the NCAA bowling championship took in automatic bids. The 6 Bowling leagues got in a team and then there were four at large bids. I think they just felt like they couldn't pull four from one league and two from another while four only get one. I guess it's a little punishment for being the dominant league right now to just get three. At some point they will split up this Southland, but until then got to finish in the top three in our league.

Doesn't stop them when it's the SEC and Football, we should protest. They made us the UCF of college bowling.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.