2017 Volleyball

21,411 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigJack85
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So much in SFA sports today.

Volleyball - 12:00 P.M. SFA vs. Lamar (Senior Day; For the outright SLC Championship)
Basketball - 2:00 P.M. SFA vs. Longwood BIG SOUTH NETWORK (1st Game of the season)
Football - 3:00 P.M. SFA vs. #17 Nicholls ESPN3 (Senior Day)
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
Lady Jacks take the first set 25-23 against a scrappy Lamar team that came to play.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
SET 2 to the Ladyjacks 25-17
SFAXE93
That's a sweep of 3 sets 25-21

Congratulations to the Ladyjacks, your 2017 Regular Season Southland Conference Champions
nacluth
Great point! Great win! Great season!

SFAXE93
nacluth
SFAXE93 said:

I couldn't like it twice, so I'm quoting it to like it again.
SFAJack_76
Great job Ladyjacks. Go get that NCAA bid. .
nacluth
Game 1 for the Ladyjacks is 11:00am Friday morning against #8 seed ACU. We beat Abilene 3-1 in our one meeting two weeks ago.

You can watch for free here: Southland Digital Network.

Go Jacks!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
We're about the first #1 seed in SLC history to lose to the #8 seed.

Down 2-1 and down in the 4th set early.
PurpleOut
Staff
2-2 now on to the 5th set
PurpleOut
Staff
We made history, we're out. What a dump.
cboothe09
I hate tournaments

cboothe09
RedRiverLa
Oh my god. What the h&$$?
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
INiedrauer
Staff
This happens to us in every single sport but men's basketball. Every. Single. Sport.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
What a disappointing end. The top seed has won every SLC tournament this decade except for 2015 when they went home in the semis.

Glad we could break the streak.
SFAXE93

Sadly I've started to come and expect it to happen, as it happens so frequently.
SFAXE93

half and half at SFA
SFAXE93
Back in the day in women's basketball SFA had the streak of 15 straight SLC tourney championships

WBB
1987-88
1988-89
1989-90
1990-91
1991-92
1992-93
1993-94
1994-95
1995-96
1996-97
1997-98
1998-99
1999-00
2000-01
2001-02
2005-06 Last one

BigJack85
These tournaments (except Men's BBall) offer little if nothing in the way of revenue and exposure for the conference. I for one think that most of them are built specifically for the underdog to win thru and put an 12 - 17 team and make the conference look like ****. If we are going to have these tournaments the regular season champ should have home field advantage PERIOD END OF STORY. That SFA, McNeese, Sammie etc. don't vote these things away or change the way they are structured is just a joke. A joke. The only schools that benefit are ACU, HBU and UIW. They are not equipped for a full season war so they build to a 3 game tournament and often (not surprisingly) come out further than they should. Disgraceful.

Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
We've hashed this out before in a thread on postseason tournaments, but this instance is a perfect example of how the current model hurts our conference. Many conferences save their highest prizes for their postseason tournament - and that is usually a NCAA bid. Why any conference wants to give their bid to someone other than their top team has always been beyond me. Conference tournaments make way more sense to take place after non-conference play and before the intra-conference schedule. Trophies and other postseason considerations could be made for many sports, but winning a season title should not be an almost meaningless consideration.

Of course it is a way to protect conferences from being dominated by a rich university and keep lower rated schools relevant, but it still doesn't seem to do that well.

Sorry Jacks. You played a great season. Sorry an off game was the end of it.
djsfw57
I can't figure out for the life of me how women's soccer and volleyball manage to choke in the tournaments every year. It's gotten to the point I don't even look forward to tournament time any more. Pitiful
RedRiverLa
So I didn't watch. Beside the obvious answer of we lost, what actually happened? Did ACU play out of their mind or did we just freeze under the lights?
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
PurpleOut
Staff
The SLC is one match away from having a 13-17 team represent them in the NCAA tournament. ACU won and advanced to the championship.

You're literally rewarding a team that was factually bad all season, because they played good for 2-3 days.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

The SLC is one match away from having a 13-17 team represent them in the NCAA tournament. ACU won and advanced to the championship.

You're literally rewarding a team that was factually bad all season, because they played good for 2-3 days.

Mind boggling. Mind boggling. If SLC wants it's that way good for them. I for one wish we had an option (to get out of the SLC) The SLC is old, stale and with the new additions lacks any true rivalries. I for one was largely against adding UIW and Abilene. Abilene may be a long run gain but UIW? Really.
SFAJack_76
Generally agree with the comments about the tournament deciding the NCAA bid. However, the semis included the #2, 3, and 4 seeds with the #2 making the finals. So, it went according to regular season results except for one very disappointing regular season champion. If we played ACU ten times, I am confident we win nine. We did it to ourselves, not the conference.
wildcatter
I get you guys are mad about the outcome, and I get it that SFA and Sam and McNeese think they deserve a better conference, but in ACU's first year of postseason eligibility: soccer tourney they beat SFA in the opening round, same thing in volleyball, and they won the women's cross country title. If most every conference concludes the regular season of these sports with the same format, what's the point in complaining about the Southland and ACU?
INiedrauer
Staff
I'm not totally against conference tournaments and SFA shouldn't get too much sympathy for choking, but the SLC should be embarrassed if a team with a losing record represents in the NCAAs. If anything the field just needs to be reduced.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA Jack Fanatic
The SLC greatly weakened itself when it admitted three Big Boy Wannabe's in ACU, HBU, and UIW. Anyone who disputes that is delusional.
nacluth
UCA won in 5.
BigJack85
wildcatter said:

I get you guys are mad about the outcome, and I get it that SFA and Sam and McNeese think they deserve a better conference, but in ACU's first year of postseason eligibility: soccer tourney they beat SFA in the opening round, same thing in volleyball, and they won the women's cross country title. If most every conference concludes the regular season of these sports with the same format, what's the point in complaining about the Southland and ACU?
I would like to see the #1 and #2 seeds getting a bye in the first round. Forcing the lower seeds to fight thru. It also gives the tops seeds an advantage that they have earned. Right now it's literally like the season starts over when the conference tournament begins. That is unfair and doesn't recognize the accomplishments of the regular season victors. It will turn around AGAINST ACU and they will be pissed .....

If this happens in MBB it will be a real fiasco and black eye for the conference......

Devilishly bad,
wildcatter
Wouldn't be the Southlands fault if a team with a losing record advances. But sure, narrow it down to 6 teams. Win and it doesn't matter.

Big boy wannabe's is funny though. I'm no homer, I know ACU isn't a world beater, but it's got a rich tradition with multiple Olympians and multiple famed athletic alumni. ACU was a founding member of the Southland and has arguably the best facilities in the conference now. Yeah football was bad this year but so be it, had plenty of success in our athletic department all around to show we belong.

wildcatter
I understand your logic, I'd feel the same way about our women's basketball team which won the past two conference titles without being postseason eligible.
wildcatter
I think that's a problem with all conference tournaments though, problem is conferences like the Southland, Colonial, Big Sky, etc aren't deep enough to get at large bids unless it's an outlier team that proves itself in OOC scheduling.

So unless SFA jumps to a power 5 conference what's the benefit? Texas St sure doesn't seem to be reaping in the rewards of a conference 'jump' from a postseason standpoint
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.