SFA Baseball: Pretenders or Contenders?

4,969 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When the season started, we saw a lot of the same thing we've always seen under Johnny Cardenas. A couple of decent outings. Then a lot of terrible ones.
Even starting conference, I would struggle to say we weren't the worst baseball team in the SLC.
Now, SFA is on a huge wave of success. On top of that, the Jacks are in prime position to head into Sugarland as a top 2 seed. Now the question has arisen, is this team for real, or is it just another good regular season team that will crumble in the conference tournament? Will we finally get over the hump and get into the NCAA tournament, or fall dead in the water and yet again watch Sam or SELA go dancing while we sit back and wait for football?
fountainhs
After tonight, I believe we are contenders. Nouis is a senior pitcher that has struggled for a majority of the season. His ERA reflects that. Over his last two starts, that being against Baylor and TCU, he's pitched shut out baseball. He gives us the much needed depth that we will need once entering the tournament. With him as our 4, and having Ledet, Gabrowski, and Kiminiski, I really like our chances. The lineup can mash. Need to finish strong.
INiedrauer
Staff
All I know is this: beating TCU does a lot to take some off the pressure off in the SLC tournament. With a top 2 finish in the league there's a very good chance we're in regardless of what happens in Sugarland.
sfa17
Sela has an rpi of 52. so if we can win this week it will help. Sam also beat Houston tonight (top 25 team), so that's also good.
SFASawmillGuy
INiedrauer
Staff
...I guess we'll find out over the next couple weeks.
PurpleOut
Staff
Ugh, wheels are coming off. Have lost 5 of last 6 conference games at the wrong time. 1 run on 12 hits yesterday.

Unfortunately a trip to Lamar this weekend looks rough, they just took 2 of 3 from Oklahoma State. We need to pick it up.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Suddenly, the patient is showing signs of life. Won the first two against HBU. "That should just about ensure that we get into the tournament," he said, with his fingers crossed.
SFA Jack Fanatic
It's a sweep!! On to the tournament!
PurpleOut
Staff
We're in!
SFAXE93
The losing is like a disease speech works again! Lol
SFASawmillGuy
Backing into the tournament is better than missing it completely. If we can have a good showing in the tournament I think we can be satisfied with this season. But I don't think I'm alone in saying we should eventually start to expect consistent success from baseball. Not periods of success followed by periods of alcoholism.
TallTexan
This team beat TCU. And yet still struggles with SLC foes.
SFASawmillGuy
As exciting as that TCU win was, that's not really a new thing. A few years ago SFA baseball beat LSU who was ranked 3rd in the country. Another year SFA beat a highly ranked Georgia team, and a highly ranked Texas Tech.
SFA baseball is actually historically really good in games that don't matter.
But in each of those seasons we either missed the SLC tournament or were met with a really early exit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.