2023 Soccer

7,519 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
The game against UT on Sunday has been cancelled. Spring rosters are short, and they didn't have enough to play due to injuries. We are down to twelve, so canceling is good for us also.

The new space for soccer is really nice.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

The game against UT on Sunday has been cancelled. Spring rosters are short, and they didn't have enough to play due to injuries. We are down to twelve, so canceling is good for us also.

Bummer. Was wanting to come watch that one.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Is the new space, at the back of WRJ ? What old space did they modify?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Does anyone know if the USAToday article is getting traction on campus? I've gotten townspeople asking about it and I keep saying I haven't heard anything (which is the truth).
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Is the new space, at the back of WRJ ? What old space did they modify?
Old MBB locker room and area.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Does anyone know if the USAToday article is getting traction on campus? I've gotten townspeople asking about it and I keep saying I haven't heard anything (which is the truth).
This is an old story that was thoroughly investigated by two third parties. They found no basis for the claims.

Consider over the last two years how many girls returned for their super senior/Covid years. Consider that the 2023 class is one of the best SFA has ever had. Consider that the 2024 committed class is even better. The athletic department has been very transparent about the claim with those that have signed or committed. That doesn't sound like a toxic environment to me.

It would be inappropriate for me to say any more.
nacluth
Yeah. That's why I didn't post any links and was very surprised that a publication would pick it up after the two independent investigations. It smelled like clickbait, but of course in Nacogdoches a lot of people click on that kind of stuff.
SFAXE93

RICE
TEXAS A&M - COMMERCE
OKLAHOMA STATE
TULSA
HOUSTON
LOUISIANA
SMU
UAB
TEXAS
UTSA
TCU
TARLETON STATE
ACU
UTAH VALLEY
SEATTLE
UTAH TECH
SOUTHERN UTAH
CALIFORNIA BAPTIST
GRAND CANYON
UTRGV

SFAXE93

RICE 11-8-1; 9-0-1 (C-USA REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONS)
TEXAS A&M - COMMERCE 9-9-2; 7-4-1 (SLC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME)
OKLAHOMA STATE 12-4-4; 4-2-3 (BEAT SFA 5-0 IN 2022)
TULSA 7-7-3; 2-4-2
HOUSTON 6-7-3; 2-4-2
LOUISIANA 3-9-5; 2-6-2 (TIED SFA 2-2 IN 2022)
SMU 10-4-5; 3-3-2 (BEAT SFA 2-0 IN 2022) (AAC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME)
UAB 9-4-5; 6-1-3
#16 TEXAS 15-3-4; 7-0-2 (BIG XII REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONS; NCAA SECOND ROUND)
UTSA 12-6-4; 4-3-3 (BEAT SFA 4-2 IN 2022) (C-USA T- CHAMPIONS; NCAA FIRST ROUND)
#10 TCU 14-5-5; 5-1-3 (BIG XII CHAMPIONSHIP GAME; NCAA SWEET 16)
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

Seems about right given the building block Minatta has in place.
BigJack85
Exhibition loss

TAMU-Commerce 3
Stephen F Austin 1
SFAXE93
TAMUC was picked #2 in the SLC pre-season poll with 97 votes.
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

Didn't we leave that conference, because we thought we were better than them…. I know it's only an exhibition

3-1 is getting punked.
SFAXE93
SR:4
JR:8
SO:4
FR:9
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Didn't we leave that conference, because we thought we were better than them…. I know it's only an exhibition

3-1 is getting punked.
Exhibition. Doesn't mean much at all. We have nine freshmen. Lots of work on rotations taking place.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAXE93 said:

3-1 is getting punked.
Exhibition. Doesn't mean much at all. We have nine freshmen. Lots of work on rotations taking place.

Ya. I'll wait till we get further down the road, to be skeptical

SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
BigJack85
Nice win vs Tulsa. Middle of the pack AAC team. Probably the easiest game we'll see for a while.

Good job ladies!!!
SFAXE93

So, apparently the 1 goal scored was by Tulsa on their own goal by mistake.
BigJack85
We don't look any quicker than last year. I thought "speed" was something we were emphasizing, up front. Transition, counter punching. ???
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

We don't look any quicker than last year. I thought "speed" was something we were emphasizing, up front. Transition, counter punching. ???
I got to see the UH game in person, and I disagree. We have more speed than I have seen in years. Fitness is excellent. The game was much more even than the final score. We struggle to finish, and had too many defensive breakdowns. The freshmen are legit, but they are freshmen.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I got to see the UH game in person, and I disagree. We have more speed than I have seen in years. Fitness is excellent. The game was much more even than the final score. We struggle to finish, and had too many defensive breakdowns. The freshmen are legit, but they are freshmen.

I watched via ESPN +. I see some of the speed at times. I'll get a couple of in person views soon.
BigJack85
100 degrees in Nacogdoches, ladies playing Louisiana tough.

I can't imagine playing in this weather. You can see the difference in a P5 squad (OSU or UH) versus ULL. We can equal ULL's speed. Doesn't make us look as lost as we did in some of UH counters.
SFAJack_76
Lost 1-0.

Shots - SFA 28 (9) UL 7 (4)

Crazy numbers. We started four freshmen.

Soccer can be a very cruel sport.

BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Lost 1-0.

Shots - SFA 28 (9) UL 7 (4)

Crazy numbers. We started four freshmen.

Soccer can be a very cruel sport.

Our team speed showed today. What was more impressive to me was to see SFA work it up the middle successfully, for the biggest part of the game.

Some of the transition passing was a bit too ambitious, but shows the potential once the team gets grooved in. I wouldn't have said it after the UH game but the performance today really changed my mind. The midfield had numerous strong defensive plays coupled with quick connections to create options.

Frankly I was surprised that we didn't score in the final 14 minutes or so as ULL looked stretched at times.
SFAJack_76
This was our second match to see in person. Competitive first half with us giving up a goal due to a defensive breakdown. The second half was not good at all. Particularly after their second goal, we played physically and mentally drained.

TCU on the road on Sunday to finish the non conference schedule. We start WAC play with a home match against Tarleton. It's hard to say when it's the first conference match, but I think it's a must win to set up for a chance to make the tournament.

BigJack85
Is this progress?
BigJack85
I get the the whole "iron sharpens iron" thing, but right now, early in the conference season, the girls look drained. Drained.

That goal at the end by Tarleton was a mental and physical failure. . The back line looked confused.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I get the the whole "iron sharpens iron" thing, but right now, early in the conference season, the girls look drained. Drained.

That goal at the end by Tarleton was a mental and physical failure. . The back line looked confused.
I don't disagree. We were in charge the first half, but continued to struggle finishing. We were largely dominated by a very young, mediocre Tarleton team in the second half. Their goal was coming the entire half, it was just a matter of time. I don't know that we are physically drained, but it doesn't look like we know how to win.

In the record books, this was a tie. But, at home against a mediocre team, this was a loss. Sunday is a must win, or I fear we miss the tournament again.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.