Facilities Thread

1,408 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJack85
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
We've had a ton of random threads about our facilities. What we like, what we hate, what we want, etc. Creating this thread to keep everything together and for future discussions on all things athletic facilities.

I do this today after seeing the picture below of the Southern Miss baseball stadium, what an awesome setting with the berm and pine trees behind the outfield fence:

BigJack85
Glad you separated this topic. Facility needs imho are:

1. Baseball. On campus. Something anything… LOL
2. Updated fieldhouse - significant improvements needed
3. Softball. Enough said.
4. Facilities for track and field.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
I recognized the need for baseball/softball facilities, but to me, they're much lower on my list. We're talking 10+ million dollar projects for sports that will rarely get us any national attention or help us with a new conference invite.

I'd like to see what a fieldhouse & track/cross country plan looked like. And an indoor practice facility for everyone. What are the price tages on those?

I do think there could be a future argument with enough funding for an SFA athletic complex near campus that includes baseball/softball/soccer/track.

If we were gonna do baseball/softball facilities, I'd be curious how far 5 mil would go towards new facilities. Because I just don't see us ever spending 10-20 mil on it.
SFAJack_76
An important piece of this is funding a master plan that was approved at the last BOR meeting. SFA athletics has never had a facilities master plan. To raise the significant dollars needed for facilities, big money donors need to see the plan. Request for quotes to complete the plan have been sent out. The desire is to present the preferred quote to the BOR at their July meeting.

Relative to softball, pay attention. Arguably the fastest growing sport in the country.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

An important piece of this is funding a master plan that was approved at the last BOR meeting. SFA athletics has never had a facilities master plan. To raise the significant dollars needed for facilities, big money donors need to see the plan. Request for quotes to complete the plan have been sent out. The desire is to present the preferred quote to the BOR at their July meeting.

Relative to softball, pay attention. Arguably the fastest growing sport in the country.

Agree. 100%.
TallTexan
A facilities master plan with some cost estimates would be fantastic.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

The athletics master plan proposal was tabled at the July BOR meeting. Presumably because of the system discussion. This makes no sense to me. System or not, we must have a plan. This sets the process back by a year or more, I suspect. Disappointing.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

The athletics master plan proposal was tabled at the July BOR meeting. Presumably because of the system discussion. This makes no sense to me. System or not, we must have a plan. This sets the process back by a year or more, I suspect. Disappointing.

Mind boggling. We need to move forward. Specifically Homer Bryce and Baseball.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.