Ladyjack Tennis - Recruiting Question

7,312 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sully
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It seems that almost all of SFA's tennis players are foreigners. That's not a slam on them personally, just an observation. Makes me wonder how the SFA coach goes about recruiting his players. Does Texas and/or the USA simply not produce an adequate number of college-level female players, or does our coach choose to not recruit here? Serious question. Anyone know?

(Maybe I should have posted this in the Recruiting forum. Sorry.)
INiedrauer
Staff
I definitely don't but that's something I could possibly find out if nobody else chimes in.
Sully
Sully
Richard B
A friend of mine is a high school tennis coach in the DFW area. I asked him this question about 5 years ago and he said that at least in Texas, very few of the players at that level have the talent to compete at the college level. He told me that college programs go with about half foreign players because the are just better players in their opinion.
INiedrauer
Staff
Sully said:

There are maybe 100 girls every year graduating from American high schools that could play on our team. The ones closer to #100 might not crack the starting lineup.

Once Stanford, Duke etc. pick through the top 20 then the usual P5 sporting powers (plus tennis outliers like Pepperdine and Rice) pick through the next 50, we are left fighting schools like SMU and Tulane for what is typically a wealthy girl who wants to go to a "name" or "academic" school... and who EVEN IF we defy the odds and get them to Nacogdoches, might not be able to play in our lineup of euros... and will then be spiteful.

Or you can go to Europe and South America and get kids that can win championships, make 3.5s and are thankful to be Ladyjacks.

The current coach is American & in a perfect world would like to recruit Americans, but he (and RH) likes winning with internationals more than losing with local kids. And that's the rest of the story.
This is insightful. Thanks for chiming in and welcome to the forums.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Sully said:

There are maybe 100 girls every year graduating from American high schools that could play on our team. The ones closer to #100 might not crack the starting lineup.

Once Stanford, Duke etc. pick through the top 20 then the usual P5 sporting powers (plus tennis outliers like Pepperdine and Rice) pick through the next 50, we are left fighting schools like SMU and Tulane for what is typically a wealthy girl who wants to go to a "name" or "academic" school... and who EVEN IF we defy the odds and get them to Nacogdoches, might not be able to play in our lineup of euros... and will then be spiteful.

Or you can go to Europe and South America and get kids that can win championships, make 3.5s and are thankful to be Ladyjacks.

The current coach is American & in a perfect world would like to recruit Americans, but he (and RH) likes winning with internationals more than losing with local kids. And that's the rest of the story.
Thanks, Sully. Welcome to the Forums. Don't be a stranger.
BigJack85
Anyone have an idea how our tennis facilities stack up against other SLC programs? They look nice from the outside....
Sully
Sorry for the very late reply, but have spent some time off the grid and am just now returning to the forum.

Our facilities are easily the best in the conference. We had a former player named George Schlief who is a heck of a guy and a successful businessman in Houston pony up quite a bit of money to build them. He also made a very nice gift to the business School. He came back a few years later and donated the scoreboard, which was one of the first remotely operated electronic scoreboards in Texas and at the time one of only 2 in the conference.

Even though the facility is nearly 10 years old now, it is still a better facility than most G5 schools across the country and with some small upgrades would be middle of the pack in most P5 conferences. Coach McLaughlin does a great job continuing to improve the place and getting the community involved both as fans and participants in clinics, lessons etc.

What we could really use would be indoor courts. Not even indoor, just covered, as it's the rain and not so much the cold that gets us. Even like a basketball-style covered pavillion would do fine. Our season is late January to late April so it would not need to be air-conditioned. I hope to one day sooner than later be able to donate that, or be part of a group that does.
BigJack85
Thanks for he note Sully. I figured as much. I have seen the facility and at least seen one other facility (Sam) and seen pictures of others. I figured we were at the top.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
I appreciate all these insights into the sports that aren't our main two. Hard to keep up with everything, especially when you aren't near Nac anymore.
Sully
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.