SLC regular season basketball (not) on real TV

2,247 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MasterAxe
aquavelvis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aside from recent tournament games, we got to see SFA basketball on easily accessible TV like SEC Network and ESPNU, what, three times?. Face it, ESPN3 is not real television, and how many of us have satellite or cable systems that carry the C-USA and Big South Networks? And I won't watch anything on Facebook Live as a matter of principal.

Meanwhile, in late January-early February I'm flipping around at night and run across...with startling regularity...games on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU featuring lower-echelon East Coast and mid-Atlantic teams, Big South and SWAC teams, and so on, with power ratings in the mid 200's, sub .500 records, and maybe 400 people in the stands...350 if you take out the bands.

It can't be that such games are getting much in the way of ratings, but the networks are somehow convinced to air them anyway. Why?

I'm not the most media-savvy guy, so to all of you who know more...why do the networks schedule these games when they could at least air a game or two featuring SFA and/or 2 or 3 other SLC teams with better power ratings, more people in the stands, and maybe more excitement?

Shouldn't we expect the SLC to step up and advocate for (or pay for) getting more of its teams on these more accessible networks, more often? Is that the SLC's job or someone else's?
Scott Taylor
SFA Jack Fanatic
I agree with what you're saying, Aqua, assuming that it's a lack of national exposure that frustrates you. But I disagree that ESPN3 is not real TV. There's hardly a night that goes by during BB season that I'm not peeking in there to see who's playing. I have a ROKU and watch on my big screen TV rather than on my computer or smart phone, so to me it's very much real TV.

Anyway, the withdrawal pains have already started for me. Eight long months until the next Jacks game.

Come on, Ladyjacks. Keep this season of great SFA basketball alive!!!
MasterAxe
You also have to remember that if the conference does do a deal, it is for the WHOLE conference.

So while it stinks sometimes to see other mediocre conferences with some national exposure, you have to realize that the SLC doesn't exactly have a ton of programs that are going to be ratings booms.

For every sellout SAM @ SFA game...youd have a Nicholls vs UNO or HBU vs ACU game that has 350 people.

That's nothing that any network wants to see, let along a national cable network.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.