#3 SFA / #2 Nicholls

29,657 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nsubroski
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (26-6) vs. Nicholls (21-10)

WHEN: Mar. 9 Friday 7:30 PM
WHERE: Katy, Texas SEMI-FINALS
TV: ESPN3

Nicholls is 8-1 in their last 9 and lost to SFA 64-81 back in Jan.

Should be a good one.

nacluth
Game day!!! Seems like only yesterday we had one of these. Today it's time fry up the Colonels in their own secret sauce - strong interior play and good defense. It's no time to quit; just time to keep choppin'!

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
From the New Orleans Advocate:

Nicholls will not have senior guard Kevon Saddler, who hurt his right knee against Northwestern State on February 21 and is out for the year. Saddler, who had been the only player to start every game this year for Coach Richie Riley, averaged 15.8 points and team-high 6.6 rebounds.

"We're going to have to figure out a way to play without our emotional leader", Riley said. "He does so many winning things. We had a short turnaround after he got hurt, and our guys were a little shell-shocked at Southeastern. We needed this week to make adjustments, because we're used to playing with Saddler out there."

Nicholls will rely on leading scorer Roddy Peters, who averages 19.5 points, while trying to get his teammates to step up without Saddler. Streaker shooter Jahvaughn Powell is their only other player averaging in double figures, with 10.2 points.

"We have to pick up in all areas", Riley said. "He's one of the toughest guys I've ever coached. It's a big challenge for guys when all season long they've had one role and now they have to do more."
MasterAxe
From the human side, I hate to see a kid get hurt this bad.

From the competitive side, this kid had 17/7 against us in our one game...huge loss for them, huge gain for us.

Let's come out early and crush their will. I think we play similar to UCA...try and lock down Peters and make everyone else beat us.

BigJack85
nacluth said:

Game day!!! Seems like only yesterday we had one of these. Today it's time fry up the Colonels in their own secret sauce - strong interior play and good defense. It's no time to quit; just time to keep choppin'!

NacLuth,

Your gifs are the best by far!!!!!! You rock.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Something else to think about on just how important the next two games are... If/When we win the SLC tourney and make the Big Dance yet again, imagine just how much more attractive that will make SFA look to high-level recruits. Just do it, Jacks!
nacluth
BigJack85 said:

NacLuth,

Thanks BigJ. I've figured that most people think they're pretty corny, but I'm glad someone appreciates them. It's now part of my superstition.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

BigJack85 said:

NacLuth,

Thanks BigJ. I've figured that most people think they're pretty corny, but I'm glad someone appreciates them. It's now part of my superstition.

Axe 'em!
I hate to admit it (don't want your head to get any bigger than it already is), but I like 'em, too.
CottonValleyJack
Vegas has us as a 7.5 point favorite. Axe 'em.
Gazette1
Go Jacks. Keep your foot on the accelerator. Keep playing shutdown defense and keep rebounding. Nichols will play like a fierce wounded animal.
Sawmill6thManRocco
Vegas is smart.
TallTexan
Gazette1 said:

Go Jacks. Keep your foot on the accelerator. Keep playing shutdown defense and keep rebounding. Nichols will play like a fierce wounded animal.
That's what worries me. Sometimes a big injury makes your team play poorly, but sometimes they'll come out fired up to win for their buddy. Gonna be a tough one tonight I think.
SfaFan15
If we can rebound the way we did last night then we should have the edge. That was by far the best job rebounding we've done all year. We drain enough shots that if we are able to control the ball more than theoretically we should score more than Nicholls. On paper, this seems like it should play out as a pretty similar game to last night's. Hopefully that's the case!
sfa17
I wish we were playing earlier
SFA Jack Fanatic
rockpiece08 said:

Vegas is smart.
Welcome to the Forums, Rock!
INiedrauer
Staff
Nicholls is so much tougher than UCA. They're physical and UCA hates contact. That plus the back to back nights helped a lot in rebounding. I still feel pretty good about this matchup though.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

Gazette1
No doubt it will be a very physical game and the referees aren't calling the tournament games tightly. I do think the oddsmakers have it about right.
nsubroski
If you guys play like you did last night, it might be a rough day for the good guys ">. I would probably bet SFA +7.5 all day.
TallTexan
nsubroski said:

If you guys play like you did last night, it might be a rough day for the good guys ">. I would probably bet SFA +7.5 all day.
I think this might be a compliment, or a prediction in our favor, but just for the record, we are the good guys.
SFAJack_76
Nicholls started the season with 15 on the roster. Today it is 12 with eleven suiting up due to Saddler's Injury. Eight of the twelve are seniors. Seven of the eight plus the lone junior are transfers.

Basketball is a real team sport. Is NSU a good team or a group of good individuals which is good enough to win in one of the weakest D1 (rpi of 30) conferences? Contrast SFA with four of the twelve scholarship players being transfers. Certainly, those four are playing important roles, but the eight are fully vested for their college careers.

Kudos to Nicholls for winning conference. At this stage of the season, the better TEAM wins. SFA checks all the boxes.

(It will be interesting to see what Nicholl's roster looks like next year. )
TallTexan
I started writing a post about wanting Sam to win, because they'd have played as many games as us, but I just can't do it. Let's handle business tonight and beat the snot out of whoever is sitting across from us.
BigJack85
Well. I'm going to. I know we have to beat Nicholls first...... beat Nicholls I repeat. But if we do I'd rather face Sammie.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nsubroski
Hopefully, this game has better refs then the SLU/ Sam game. This has turned into a good old-fashioned SLC free throw contest. Including the 6 in a row that SLU just got.

Also we might have a differing opinion on who the good guys are. Still think SFA will probably win though sadly
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Well. I'm going to. I know we have to beat Nicholls first...... beat Nicholls I repeat. But if we do I'd rather face Sammie.
If we beat Nicholls, I'd give us an 80% chance of beating PrisonTech, but at the same time, that 20% represents my worse nightmare.
nacluth
Don't worry about that nightmare because SLU won.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
nsubroski said:

Also we might have a differing opinion on who the good guys are. Still think SFA will probably win though sadly
I'll concede only this: You guys have got the best university in the Thibodaux metro area.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Don't worry about that nightmare because SLU won.
Great, now I have the SLU nightmare.
nsubroski
TallTexan said:

nsubroski said:

I'll concede only this: You guys have got the best university in the Thibodaux metro area.
haha I'll take it I guess
MasterAxe
Poor Jason Hooten.
No-look
MasterAxe said:

Poor Jason Hooten.
That game turned when they got the double tech. Hooten should know better.
Gazette1
Sam fell apart after those two technicals. The officiating sucked and I think that Sam got the worst end of it but those two technicals turned the tide.
nacluth
Who's at the game tonight?
nacluth
I'm all jacked up on Mt. Dew! I need this game to start.
RedRiverLa
AxeEm! That's all I need to say.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
Charles Charles!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.