SFA / UCA

39,345 Views | 199 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by INiedrauer
fortWorthJack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA plays over extending defense and to do that against UCA and playmaker Howard you are going to be in trouble. They found the open man and stuck to their strength, the 3. The combination of SFA's tight perimeter defense and UCA's ability to drive and shoot 3s is pretty simple. We knew what their game plan was and could not deliver or stay on pace.
nacluth
Breakdown: 48 points from three. 28 from inside 12 feet. 24 from the line.

This is how you have a 15 seed beat the 2 seed. Sometimes it's just their night. They'll have a stupid loss again soon.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

There no team in the Southland that could have came close to them tonight.
Absolutely right. Anyone who was able to watch it would agree with you.
TallTexan
Let's face it, we're a tv team. Prime time really.
CottonValleyJack
corleycl said:

Ok, maybe their shooting was a fluke. But, guys, we are not a dominating team. I'm legitimately worried. We've gotten all these great recruits, etc. Has every other team in the Southland been getting the same caliber players? I don't think so, but what do I know. Every game we play, I go in not knowing if we're going to play up to par or not. I know the season isn't over and it's ONLY the 4th loss. But, c'mon. I can't be the only one feeling like this, right?

You're not. The decline deniers shouted me down for stating that last year does not seem like an outlier. Believe me, I hate it as much as anyone. We went from winning March madness games to battling McNeese for third place in the SLC. It's a tough pill to swallow. I'll be elated if I'm wrong.
MasterAxe
Every time we lose, I fall into the trap of "Kyle Keller is a bad coach. How could he let that happen?!"

It's bad I do that, and I do it basically comparing him to Brad Underwood "who would never allow that."

I shouldn't do that. He's a good coach and even good coaches have these losses.

Beat Sam on Saturday and all will be right in the world.

Now, lose to Sam...,just don't.
SFAXE93
UCA 3-point shooting

Why couldn't they have gone 5-21 tonight?

6-20 Baylor (30%)
5-15 University of Oz (33.3%)
18-35 UCLA (51.4%)
11-23 Alcorn State (47.8%)
7-22 SC State (31.8%)
5-19 Tulsa (26.3%)
10-28 Morehead State (35.7%)
6-20 Little Rock (30%)
10-18 San Francisco (55.6%)
12-24 California (50%)
5-25 Little Rock (20%)
10-33 Morehead State (30.3%)
13-26 Oregon (50%)
6-17 Texas A&M CC (35.3%)
5-19 SLU (26.3%)
6-22 SHSU (27.3%)
13-33 Lamar (39.4%)
13-27 UIW (48.1%)
7-27 Nicholls (25.9%)
4-18 New Orleans (22.2%)
5-21 ACU (23.8%)
16-27 SFA (59.3%)

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
Last time I checked Underwood was 0-8 in conference play with some decent players. Looks like they have a shot against a pretty bad Indiana team. Underwood had a magical run, but his teams had off nights too. Granted only one doozy in conference play.
nacluth
Looks like they shoot the three up to their competition. Bizarre.
PurpleForever
CottonValleyJack said:

corleycl said:

Ok, maybe their shooting was a fluke. But, guys, we are not a dominating team. I'm legitimately worried. We've gotten all these great recruits, etc. Has every other team in the Southland been getting the same caliber players? I don't think so, but what do I know. Every game we play, I go in not knowing if we're going to play up to par or not. I know the season isn't over and it's ONLY the 4th loss. But, c'mon. I can't be the only one feeling like this, right?

You're not. The decline deniers shouted me down for stating that last year does not seem like an outlier. Believe me, I hate it as much as anyone. We went from winning March madness games to battling McNeese for third place in the SLC. It's a tough pill to swallow. I'll be elated if I'm wrong.

I'm just as disappointed as anyone, but you gotta realize how competitive college basketball is. EVERY team loses on the road in conference. Those seasons Underwood had were just amazing, but I bet you could ask him and he'd say he expected to lose eventually on the road. I saw a crazy stat the other day that something like 70% off home teams have won in conference. Its just tough to do, look at any team and you'll see that trend.
RedRiverLa
PurpleForever said:

CottonValleyJack said:

corleycl said:

I'm just as disappointed as anyone, but you gotta realize how competitive college basketball is. EVERY team loses on the road in conference. Those seasons Underwood had were just amazing, but I bet you could ask him and he'd say he expected to lose eventually on the road. I saw a crazy stat the other day that something like 70% off home teams have won in conference. Its just tough to do, look at any team and you'll see that trend.
That they do, just a little surprised by who we've lost to. There's going to be a fluke every now and then, but after a couple of 'fluke' wins by the opponent, regardless of the reason, you can't help but wonder. If anyone expected 18-0, well that was just crazy - and that talk got out of hand, but if we are/were the top team in the conference, then you shouldn't be playing close games with NSU, SLU, or a 4-4 UCA team. Maybe one of those is a fluke, but 3 or more is a trend. I'm still a huge Keller fan, I'm just not keen on the current trend. Glad we're at home against a bad SHSU team - we should dominate, I don't know that I would feel the same if we were playing there.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleForever said:

CottonValleyJack said:

corleycl said:

Exactly. Going undefeated in conference is ridiculously difficult to do, and very unrealistic. We've been spoiled by VERY good teams in a below average conference. We scored 92 points and shot 48.5% on the road, that's really good. There will be multiple games where your shots don't drop, or some random team does something they rarely do. Hench, my post about the amazing and frustrating part of college basketball. We know UCA isn't a better team than us.
SFAXE93
Just think how rare it is to shoot just shy of 60% from 3 with 27 attempts.

That like never happens.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Just think how rare it is to shoot just shy of 60% from 3 with 27 attempts.

That like never happens.
If we played UCA 99 more times, the odds of them doing that again are less than 1 in 100. Let's just accept the crazy thing that happened and get ready for Prison Tech. Get to the game if you can!
No-look
I like our schedule going fourth. If we can go 4-1 on the road and win the home games we should be fine. League leaders be beating up on each other soon.
Gazette1
https://www.vuhoops.com/2017/9/6/16258148/villanova-news-links-ncaa-basketball-transfer-rule-change
tangerito
Foul trouble hurt playing time for some of our scorers. Nice to see Shannon get his shot back. The work they put in must of worked. If that continues, they won't be able to leave him unguarded on the perimeter anymore. All in all I thought it was poorly officiated as has been the case most of this year.
SFASawmillGuy
This loss wouldn't hurt so bad if we didn't lose to SLU.
SFASawmillGuy
RedRiverLa said:

I couldn't watch the game, but I'm starting to feel that we are more often the team that barely beat ULM than the team that was impressive against La Tech, LSU and Missouri. Tonight, did we not guard the three in fear of the lane, or did we just not imagine they would keep hitting the shot? How do you score 100 against our defense?

Our defense has looked down since conference play started. Not to say we've looked bad(though we have at times), but we haven't looked as dominant or aggressive since the end of the Mizzou game.

We are truly the epitome of playing to our opponents.
INiedrauer
Staff
SFA_03 said:

Our defense has looked down since conference play started.
SFA's defense was 20th in the country in efficiency (points per possession) before last night. They've been pretty good there.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

djsfw57
I just want to see SFA play like they did against LSU and Missouri. We KNOW they have the capability - do they have the hunger? I hope so...
SFASawmillGuy
djsfw57 said:

I just want to see SFA play like they did against LSU and Missouri. We KNOW they have the capability - do they have the hunger? I hope so...
Exactly this. I'm not saying we have been unwatchably bad or anything.

I'm saying that if we played these conference games with even half the intensity we played our 3 SEC games with, we're undefeated in conference play and winning all of our games by a convincing margin, maybe except for this game.

I think if this SFA team that is currently playing in conference played against the SFA team that played before conference play, I think this team loses by a good 20 points.
BigJack85
Really good points. I mean they don't seem to have that "step on there neck" type approach. Without that your going to lose some games.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Really good points. I mean they don't seem to have that "step on there neck" type approach. Without that your going to lose some games.
With all due respect, a "step on their neck" approach would not have made a difference last night, when two of UCA's guys were hitting threes from 25-35 feet. For that reason, I was not nearly as disappointed after last night's game as I was after the SELA crapola game.
SFAELITE
Yeah they shot lights out from 3, but there are other things that contributed to us losing. We foul way too much, I feel like we send opponents to the foul line more than we did in the past. I think our defense is agressive but sloppy, its like a 3 year old running hard to get some where and busting their ass. Some times 3s go in, but don't allow them to score in the paint or force them to take the whole shot clock and force a horrible shot. To me, its about coaching. The coach needs to be able make adjustment to the game plan if things aren't going as plan. we don't play hard until its too late. I predict we lose two more games before the season is over.
INiedrauer
Staff
The away from the ball fouls have been an issue but it has also gotten better. The part about not playing hard until late is just not true. They might win out or drop two, but this is a stud coaching staff and they know the team needs to peak at the right time. They will.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.