Cuonzo Martin postgame visit.

9,903 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tangerito
Sully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure by now y'all have seen the video. I'm sorry, but I hated this.

We are in a very, very select group of programs based on what we have done in the NCAA tournament in the last four years. Missouri has not been to the tournament since 2013 and Cuonzo has only been twice total in his 10 year career.

I want to think that he had good intentions but it was patronizing and I think it was a little bit attention-seeking for him, knowing it would be all over Twitter etc. I wish coach would have told them to GTFO and if you have some kind words, go ahead and say them in your presser & don't come in here and talk to us like you are John wooden and we are Angelina JC. If you wouldn't go into Houston or SMU's locker room then you shouldn't come in to ours.

I love that we don't bow down to anyone on the basketball court and I wish we would carry a little bit of that attitude off the court too. I have a lot of pride in our school and our program and I think we are past the point of getting pats on the head from a coach that has not done all that much.
MasterAxe
Amazingly, I agree.

I don't want Mizzou's "hey y'all are a lesser team but y'all play hard."

I bet Kyle Keller didn't do that for ULM or NdST.

SFASawmillGuy
I accept it as a nice gesture, but I agree that it wasn't needed. These guys know they're one of, if not the best mid major school right now. After seeing us take two SEC teams to the wire while we didn't play our best game either time, I would have confidence in these guys no matter who they play.
TallTexan
I disagree, it didn't seem patronizing but authentic, plus it was marketing gold, you can't buy that kind of press for both programs.
Sully
TallTexan said:

I disagree, it didn't seem patronizing but authentic, plus it was marketing gold, you can't buy that kind of press for both programs.
Sure, marketing gold for Mizzou. Great self-promotion for Cuonzo but what's the marketing angle for us?

"Hey everyone look what a great program and gracious coach that Mizzou has!!!...and if you're not good enough for Mizzou and you want to be part of a lesser program that fights real hard and that the great Cuonzo really respects, you should check out SFA!"

No reason why we can't be another Butler or Wichita State, but the path there does not include mercenary coaches from middling programs coming in our locker room to "attaboy" us after beating us.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Sully said:

"don't come in here and talk to us like you are John Wooden and we are Angelina JC."
I disagree with your opinion (I think it was sincere appreciation of our talent and our heart), but I really like this comment! LOL!
TallTexan
Sully said:

TallTexan said:

Sure, marketing gold for Mizzou. Great self-promotion for Cuonzo but what's the marketing angle for us?

"Hey everyone look what a great program and gracious coach that Mizzou has!!!...and if you're not good enough for Mizzou and you want to be part of a lesser program that fights real hard and that the great Cuonzo really respects, you should check out SFA!"

No reason why we can't be another Butler or Wichita State, but the path there does not include mercenary coaches from middling programs coming in our locker room to "attaboy" us after beating us.

If I have to explain why that's great marketing for both programs, then you're the type of person who would have voted against the athletic support fee.
INiedrauer
Staff
I have no doubt he meant well. I do think it was a little odd but it wasn't bad exposure. I also thought this Deadspin article on it was amusing: https://deadspin.com/classy-stephen-f-austin-team-doesnt-refuse-opposing-co-1821476681
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

Sully
TallTexan said:

Sully said:

TallTexan said:

If I have to explain why that's great marketing for both programs, then you're the type of person who would have voted against the athletic support fee.

That doesn't make any sense and is a dumb insult. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me anti-SFA athletics.

In fact, I think I have a higher opinion of our program than you do. You're happy with a moral victory, a little publicity and a pat on the head. I don't like getting "sonned" by Cuonzo and don't think we are a lesser program, therefore I don't think the whole situation should have even been allowed to happen.
SFASawmillGuy
I don't deny that it's "good" publicity, but it does kind of put off that vibe that we should've been underdogs. We were. But we played not our best ball and played toe to toe with mizzou. We're getting to the level where we're no longer underdogs.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Sully said:

That doesn't make any sense and is a dumb insult. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me anti-SFA athletics.
Whoa. Chill out, Sully. Much ado about nothing... We're all on the same team here, and it's a great one.
djsfw57
From the article:

"Martin might mean well, but Stephen F. Austin, while not at the level of Missouri, isn't some scrubby joke team that needs a pick-me-up."

After that game I will respectfully disagree with this statement. SFA showed that we ARE at the level of Missouri.
SFAJack_76
It was a little odd. If Keller had not allowed him to come in, then we look churlish in my opinion.

What I do love, is the response from the players. Dead silence and body language that says "we are pissed and next time, you lose."

Look at Keller. He couldn't wait for Martin to get done and get out of his locker room.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

It was a little odd. If Keller had not allowed him to come in, then we look churlish in my opinion.

What I do love, is the response from the players. Dead silence and body language that says "we are pissed and next time, you lose."

Look at Keller. He couldn't wait for Martin to get done and get out of his locker room.
Brilliant observations! Especially about Keller's appearance. Ha!
Sully
SFAJack_76 said:

I agree with this.

I don't think it was a bad pub for us, I just don't think it was that great. Sorry I got a little worked up there but I take it personally when we don't get the credit we deserve. We have a great program - not a great program "for our level", a great program PERIOD. I want to be known for THAT, not for moral victories & some mid-tier coach being nice to us after beating us. That's all I'm saying.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Sully said:

I don't think it was a bad pub for us, I just don't think it was that great. Sorry I got a little worked up there but I take it personally when we don't get the credit we deserve. We have a great program - not a great program "for our level", a great program PERIOD. I want to be known for THAT, not for moral victories & some mid-tier coach being nice to us after beating us. That's all I'm saying.
Excellent! Well said.
INiedrauer
Staff
Left with no further comment (h/t Deadspin comments section):
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

No-look
I'm thinking Kellers and players body language is from not scoring on that last possession. One bucket away from beating a very good SEC team on THEIR home court. Last year and the beginning of this year I would find myself wishing we had Walkup and Pinkney back but I'm realizing this team can be just as good.
INiedrauer
Staff
No-look said:

I'm thinking Kellers and players body language is from not scoring on that last possession. One bucket away from beating a very good SEC team on THEIR home court. Last year and the beginning of this year I would find myself wishing we had Walkup and Pinkney back but I'm realizing this team can be just as good.
If you listen to the audio that's about to go up, Keller said Brad called him after the game and told him if he can get Ty back to playing at Ty's capability, this team is better.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

No-look
INiedrauer said:

Left with no further comment (h/t Deadspin comments section):
Lol!!! The power of social media!
SFAJack_76
INiedrauer said:

No-look said:

If you listen to the audio that's about to go up, Keller said Brad called him after the game and told him if he can get Ty back to playing at Ty's capability, this team is better.
I was in a deep funk for a long time after the tip in. You know the one. Why is in part because I feared that would be our only chance to be in the sweet sixteen ever.

Blasphemy I am sure, but iif we stay healthy, get quality minutes from Bain, and Ty returns to being Ty, this team can be better.

I hope the student body, faculty, and community understand what they have and support these guys as they should. It could be a fun ride.
nacluth
Can we start sending swag to some Texas billionaires and try to convert them into SFA fans? That way when the time comes they can chip in a couple mil to keep a coach around. Let's be proactive.
SFA Jack Fanatic

Re: Isaac's post... ROFL!!! Side-splitting!
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Can we start sending swag to some Texas billionaires and try to convert them into SFA fans? That way when the time comes they can chip in a couple mil to keep a coach around. Let's be proactive.
Or maybe expand a local airport to get Big 5 teams to fly in here instead of having to always play them at their places.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I hope the student body, faculty, and community understand what they have and support these guys as they should. It could be a fun ride.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why we can't get 7,000-8,000 at EVERY home game!! Come on, students! Come on, East Texas!! Get with it! It's the greatest show in town! (And the Ladyjacks ain't too shabby either!)
INiedrauer
Staff
There's actually Texas billionaire who is not only an SFA fan but who played basketball for SFA.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

CLHawkins
Who might this be?
INiedrauer
Staff
Walter "Loddie" Naymola. Lettered in 1977 and actually shares a scoring record with 18 made FG in a game against ETBU. He's a billionaire tycoon in Beaumont now.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
My new best friend- strictly to help out the team of course. Do you think he would like a custom guitar courtesy of the team?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
CLHawkins
The Loddie Naymola Center would make a nice name for a practice facility.
TallTexan
Sully said:

Sorry I got a little worked up there but I take it personally when we don't get the credit we deserve. We have a great program - not a great program "for our level", a great program PERIOD. I want to be known for THAT, not for moral victories & some mid-tier coach being nice to us after beating us. That's all I'm saying.

I don't disagree with you on the level of program that we have. I just don't think Counzo was being disrespectful. He didn't know SFA would record & release it, and that felt like a March Madness game, so I can see why he wanted to talk to the team. To me, it felt more like when two great players or great coaches stop to chat after the game, it's all about respect, and it didn't feel like he was patronizing.

Now if we want to talk about disrespect, ESPN refusing to display our school name is complete disrespect to the team & the school.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Let's get Mark Cuban on our side as a big money donor. He's big into basketball from what I hear.
sfa17
we need to hire a private investigator and find Mr.Loddie ASAP

https://www.mylife.com/walter-naymola/e486906306108
INiedrauer
Staff
It's not that secret. His son goes to SFA and he and Keller have connected.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

It's not that secret. His son goes to SFA and he and Keller have connected.

That's awesome.

Overall though, and not only w/ Loddie, but we need to do a better job of raising money as a university. Big gifts for universities our size are game changing. I don't pretend to know how wealthy the Cole family is nor how much they have donated & will donate to SFA, but it's been game changing in terms of the new buildings & programs & that is from 1 family. Could you imagine what we could do with one or two of the gifts that large schools get everytime they raise money?

SFA is getting ready to launch a 100 million (50 million in new money)funding initiative in the next year or two for the 100 year anniversary. That would be nice, but I honestly think we're aiming a little low on the whole. I just don't think we have a robust fundraising machine in place, but we should.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.