This season is a success if....

14,878 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MasterAxe
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought I would pull this Before the Season thread back up to see how people feel about their preseason pics. ***This is NOT to put egg on anyone's faces!*** Just wanted to let us get a sense of where we've come with our thoughts on Keller and the team.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleForever
We are playing at a high level but we still have room to grow which makes March very exciting for us. We always have those surprisingly competitive games in conference, but this team is so deep I can't see anybody challenging us late in games even on the road.

Side note: Bogues wasn't a great three point shooter at Mclennan but he was average. So far this year he is only shooting 15%.
INiedrauer
Staff
BigJack85 said:

Unless Walkup and Pinkney are granted a couple more years of eligibility Keller is going to have to do some player development. One of the things you always saw with Danny and Brad was that there "core" players improved year after year after year. We need to see some progression at the point. That's the best way for a coach to execute his plan.... have a point guard that you've helped build.

Long story short ,,,, we are not going to get Chris Paul recruited to SFA. We're going to coach one up!
This was a great and underappreciated post.

Also, Kevon Harris.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

BigJack85
I'm going to say that Keller's team in coming together nicely. The point guard play is SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year. As far as individuals: 1) TJ is the best 4 in the league period. 2). Gilmore plays with the heart of a Lion. When he is in there you always see the guys around him improve. 3). Canette is a wild card mostly in a good way. 4). Augustin is starting ..... starting to look more and more like a real 1/2 combo. More of a point but has some flexibility. To many more to cover all of them. Some real player development going on.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
jboy93
Conference and tourney titles are a must. Then we see where they put us in the Big Dance.

Love Coach Keller and think he has a good handle on this team.

Just a quick note on Underwood. Am I the only one that thinks he had most of his success with players that were here from Kasper? Three players of the year...all from Kasper. He did bring in Ty and TJ thankfully. It was obvious we were going to have somewhat of a down year but after loosing Walkup and Pinkney I think we did as good as we could have expected. Especially with the injuries.
Don't get me wrong, I loved Underwood, but he did leave the cupboards a little empty!

I'm sure I will ruffle some flannel here but just an observation!
nacluth
Sure Kaspar had done a great job finding Parker and Walkup even Des, but Underwood maximized their talent. It's almost inconceivable to think Danny could have done what Brad did with the same team. No knock on Danny as a coach or recruiter. But Underwood's coaching style is going to lead him to more success than Danny's.

Brad brought in great talent too. Players with a much higher recruiting pedigree. Parker and Walkup were great finds, but they were not real known quantities before coming. What was impressive was that Brad was able to turn winning into recruiting success - where we could get the guys other big teams were after. TJ, Ty, Bain, Averette were all guys other teams wanted.

Now, even more impressive to me is the recruiting Keller is bringing to the table. We are deeper than any Underwood team. I'm excited for what this team could look like in 3 years if Keller stays around.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
jboy93
I am impressed with Keller as a recruiter as well! Love the two kids from Houston Yates that we have already for next year.
SFAJack_76
The cupboard a little bare is not quite accurate. Averette was a top 20 recruit in Texas after his senior year that was properly released from his LOI and followed underwood to OSU. Canete and Nieminen were early signing period guys that stayed. Bain played all of three games before being injured. Ty played hurt most of the season. Williams did not play at all due to a previously undiagnosed heart condition. And, there is no way of knowing what other recruits Underwood would have gotten after the NCAA showing.

I like ke what Keller is doing, but believe underwood was building the program for a long run.
TallTexan
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

1) I don't see the in game adjustments that seemed routine for Brad or Danny to make. 2) We seem out of position early on in games. 3). We start games slow ....

All this could change with Keller 2.0. I hope it does. I want success for Keller and the team as much as anyone!!!! To me it starts with steadiness at the 1,2 and 3 spots. Beyond that we can be plug and play.
Number 1 is the most concerning if it doesn't change, which is my biggest concern. That said, it's much easier to have a team make adjustments when you have Thomas Walkup on the court. It's hard with an inexperienced team. However, I think this year we will hopefully see great improvement with this.

The other 2 are definitely fixable.

I'm so looking forward to this season. The level of new talent the Underwood years has brought us is remarkable and getting back to the top of the conference with tourney appearances will let us unlock a whole new level of success.

Happy to report we've seen great improvement in all aspects of the program. And I'm 100% sold on on Keller. The team is playing at an extremely high level & he's a heck of a recruiter. It's amazing how much I look forward to SFA games. I hope he's a long term program builder for us.
BigJack85
BigJack85 said:

I'm probably the anomaly on Keller. Just not real sure on him.... Danny could go 18 - 12 and I was still 100% behind him.. I'm sure a couple good wins and a nice run in conference and I'll change my mind. My definition of a good season:

Non Conference = 9 - 4 Let's be honest, 5 of these are sub D1 so we should bag at least that + Longwood, ULM and Rice are gettable.

Conference = 16 - 2 This is a weak conference so this should be the bottom end of expectations.

Summary = 25 - 6 with a tourney title and at least a 15 seed..........

I wanted to bring this one out to reveal my November hopes/predictions .......
MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

BigJack85 said:

I'm probably the anomaly on Keller. Just not real sure on him.... Danny could go 18 - 12 and I was still 100% behind him.. I'm sure a couple good wins and a nice run in conference and I'll change my mind. My definition of a good season:

Non Conference = 9 - 4 Let's be honest, 5 of these are sub D1 so we should bag at least that + Longwood, ULM and Rice are gettable.

Conference = 16 - 2 This is a weak conference so this should be the bottom end of expectations.

Summary = 25 - 6 with a tourney title and at least a 15 seed..........

I wanted to bring this one out to reveal my November hopes/predictions .......

Just a hair off on the actual records....but damn, you're just about gonna nail it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.