SFA WBB - Program News

6,733 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jon
Jon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you have any questions about the Ladyjack Basketball program feel free to inquire and I will do my best to respond. I will be posting some updates here when I get them as well.
- Jon Godeaux
Jon
Looks like the team is meshing well, lighthearted warmups today at practice turned into uptempo drills fast.

New Assistant Head Coach Alvidrez fitting in well, helping to run drills and was one of the first people on the court for practice.
- Jon Godeaux
Jon
Liking the communition from the team as well that I'm seeing, the elder Johnson (Imani) especially. Quickness of Chanell Hayes is impressive, can't even tell she injured her knee little over a year ago. Taylor Jackson and Riley Harvey with great footwork and quickness too. All 12 Ladyjacks on the court looking healthy and energized.
- Jon Godeaux
BigJack85
Thanks for the update Jon. Good stuff.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
How do the Freshmen look, especially Marissa Banfield, the long range bomber from Houston Westbury Christian?
nacluth
Good updates. Can you tell who's emerging as the new leader now that Ross is gone? We're basically to this coach's team, do you think we've lost the personal friction some of the older players seemed to have the past two years? How's our Scandinavians looking?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Jon
In regard to Banfield, got a chance to speak to her briefly, and her summarized comments will be in my next WBB article. She knocked down every 3 that I saw her take in practice, but will need to work on driving the lane and getting quicker (adjustment most Freshmen need to make). Coach Kellogg told me that he expects each player on the roster to have an impact of some sort. I look for Aaliyah Johnson to have the least of the 4 however, as Imani will likely take over for AD (Adrienne Lewis) in the post this year.
- Jon Godeaux
Jon
nacluth said:

Good updates. Can you tell who's emerging as the new leader now that Ross is gone? We're basically to this coach's team, do you think we've lost the personal friction some of the older players seemed to have the past two years? How's our Scandinavians looking?
I'm impressed with the progress that Lo (Lovissa Brunnberg) is making, and it seems that the coaching staff is too. Kia will likely play a similar role that we saw last year. Seems to be doing what she needs to.

As for friction between teammates, I saw exactly none. I was very impressed by the communication of the Ladyjacks and their willingness to learn. Chanell Hayes did get busted in the lip in a drill yesterday, but she shook it off and did sprints with her teammates, showing true vigor, rather than just sitting out.

Imani Johnson was the most talkative and supportive player on the court, which is great to see from a big that will be filling a key role on the team.
- Jon Godeaux
nacluth
Thanks for that. I'm looking for a big year. Hopefully it's time to regain that SLC crown.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Jon
You're not the only one with that in mind, that's the consensus for the team. Players and coaches alike know that, and we should be the favorite to win the conference in my eyes.
- Jon Godeaux
SFA88
As others have said, thanks for these updates. I'm old enough to remember when WBB was top dog on campus, in Nacogdoches, and in East Texas. It would be great to have both the men and the women make it to their respective NCAA tourneys and stay a few rounds.
Jon
Question for you guys that have commented, who are you most looking forward to seeing on the court this year? I took down the twitter poll.
- Jon Godeaux
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jon said:

Question for you guys that have commented, who are you most looking forward to seeing on the court this year? I will be running a twitter poll as well for those of you that have one.

https://twitter.com/JFGodeaux
Stevi Parker and Riley Harvey
nacluth
Yeah I think the team will rise and fall with Stevi, but Riley and Taylor are the two I want to see take the next step to team stars.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Jon
TJ (Taylor Jackson) will likely be running the point to start the season, and should be one of the primary leaders along with Stevi Parker, given they are the only 2 Seniors on the squad. Harvey is in just her 2nd year, so wouldn't expect her to be POY or anything, but she will play quite a bit it would seem. Personally looking for Harvey and Parker to play together more, with Parker more as a Guard than she was last year.
- Jon Godeaux
nacluth
I'll just throw in that their new kits look pretty sharp. I'm assuming they'll be their game day unis?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Jon
What kits are you referring to? The black jerseys in the latest practice video are reversible jerseys.
- Jon Godeaux
nacluth
Ahh. That's what I saw. I was thinking they might be a model for new uniforms this year - at least the logo.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Jon
Planning to go to another WBB practice soon. If you have specific questions you want answered put them here!
- Jon Godeaux
aquavelvis
Jon,

Not important in the grand scheme of things, but a question re/for Marissa Banfield because I understand she's from Friendswood: is she related to Tony Banfield, a Houston Oilers DB who lived in Friendswood back in the 1960s? May just be coincidence, but an uncommon name in what was a small town back then.

If she is related, there's some strong competitive DNA.

Thanks
Scott Taylor
gjmcban
Yes Marissa is related to Tony Banfield, he is her grandfather (my dad) And still lives in Friendsood
gjmcban
Friendswood
INiedrauer
Staff
gjmcban said:

Yes Marissa is related to Tony Banfield, he is her grandfather (my dad) And still lives in Friendsood
That's pretty cool. Welcome to the board and thanks for joining. Hoping to see a lot of growth around here both in forum participants and our team as the fall seasons get closer. We're all pretty excited to see your daughter dropping dimes at WRJ.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA Jack Fanatic
gjmcban said:

Welcome to the forums!
Jon
Practice round 2 today, communication is much better thus far. A few mental lapses, but can see a bit of a positive difference from last practice I came to.

4v4 action right now, Burns impressing, Harvey guarding the paint well.
- Jon Godeaux
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jon said:

Practice round 2 today, communication is much better thus far. A few mental lapses, but can see a bit of a positive difference from last practice I came to.

4v4 action right now, Burns impressing, Harvey guarding the paint well.
In what way is Burns impressing? Don't know much about her.
Jon
Running through drills well, made some nice shots in 4v4, and heard praise from the coaches multiple times for her. Will touch on a little more in next article.
- Jon Godeaux
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.