Story Poster
Stephen F. Austin Basketball

SFA Purple Lights Podcast - Episode V - March 18th

March 18, 2017

Purple Lights is the only podcast dedicated to coverage of all things Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks. With Richard Boyer and Isaac Niedrauer behind the microphones and with Mark Friedman (of Dallas-Ft. Worth sports talk fame) in the FreidoNation studio, our show is a must-listen for the most passionate of Lumberjacks. Be sure to subscribe to our iTunes page (click here), or download each episode right here from our website.

EPISODE V - March 18th, 2017 -

In this fifth episode of Purple Lights, the crew wraps up Ladyjacks and Lumberjacks basketball, how it all ended for both teams and what the future looks like. Isaac and Richard also touch on Lumberjacks baseball where SFA has opened the conference season. Tune in and enjoy another installation of the best and only SFA sports podcast, Purple Lights.

Be sure to follow us on Twitter (@SFASawmill) and send us any questions you'd like answered during our next episode.

Click Here for iTunes | Click here to download | Or listen below:

SFA Purple Lights Podcast - Episode V - March 18th

12,491 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another great episode. Thanks.

BTW, how in the world could Jalen West possibly have any more eligibility at Northwestern? He's already had a medical redshirt, and he's played for (it seems like) 12 years or so.
INiedrauer
Staff
edstile said:

Another great episode. Thanks.

BTW, how in the world could Jalen West possibly have any more eligibility at Northwestern? He's already had a medical redshirt, and he's played for (it seems like) 12 years or so.

Thanks! They gave him an extra year for this last season and he tore his ACL before playing in a game. So they've appealed again and are waiting for an answer still. I would think there's a fairly decent chance he's back...
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFAXE93
My favorite Podcast! Viva La Purple Lights!
ibtsoom
The young man deserves it.
ECHO26
great podcast ! when are you guys going to breakdown and analyze the 2017 football recruiting class ?
SFASawmillGuy
Likely after spring ball and we have a little more of an idea of how the new players look.
INiedrauer
Staff
We'll be following the progress of everyone through spring ball. In a couple weeks we're going to do our ranking of SLC recruiting classes, but a lot of details are unknown about these guys (as is the case in most FCS classes) until we see them on the field. Spring ball starts this week though!
RedRiverLa
INied - Just curious as to your take on Canete. Seems like he tapered off as the season went on. Did he have a nagging injury - how does he fit into next year with the new players coming in?
INiedrauer
Staff
RedRiverLa said:

INied - Just curious as to your take on Canete. Seems like he tapered off as the season went on. Did he have a nagging injury - how does he fit into next year with the new players coming in?
I'll get into this a little more in-depth in our Sunday episode but he definitely fits with the team's plans. The staff likes him and he has potential to be a really good player. His numbers are comparable to Meech and Jared Johnson in their junior seasons and we know what they did as seniors, so I would expect him to be a better shooter this fall.

He had a really bad case of mono during the season and lost a lot of weight. It was a struggle to fully recover with the practice and game regimen being what it is and there's a belief among some that it could have contributed to his late season slump. Contributed, not caused. A lot of it was just mental. He's definitely in the plans to be a key contributor this next season though.
SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

RedRiverLa said:

He had a really bad case of mono during the season and lost a lot of weight. It was a struggle to fully recover with the practice and game regimen being what it is and there's a belief among some that it could have contributed to his late season slump.
I didn't know about his mono. That explains a lot!
BigJack85
regarding the mono.... that explains a lot. Canete could/should be a strong 2 man next year if he's healthy. He started of strong and with the (hopefully) addition of Bain and Mack we could be really good through the line up.
PurpleOut
Staff
I think when he started his slump (got sick) that it made it easier for opposing coaches to game plan against him.

Hopefully he gets bigger and stronger over the off season, because he's a great shooter.
Gazette1
You need to make your site more accessible. It is dying for lack of interest. The fee is way to high. Should be free.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Gazette1 said:

You need to make your site more accessible. It is dying for lack of interest. The fee is way to high. Should be free.

So, you expect the staff of this website to pay for the purchasing of and the maintenance fees for the software to run the site and its web hosting fees out of their own pockets? You expect them to take hours and hours of time away from their families and/or friends to do all of the reporting and commentaries and all of the interviews of players and coaches in all SFA sports without getting paid anything? You expect Issac to travel to other Southland Conference venues to cover SFA sports on his own dime? You expect the Purple Lights and Shots of Jacks podcasts by Isaac and the people in the Dallas studio to provide their time and services for free?

Considering all of this, what they charge is VERY reasonable. To my knowledge, there is NO other SLC school that provides such a comprehensive coverage of their teams' athletics, and there are very few anywhere in the USA. Remember, this is not just a blog site.

And as to "dying for lack of interest', do you realize that the William R. Johnson Coliseum (BB) Forum alone has had over 1,900 posts since it went live a little over three months ago? (And obviously, that excludes hundreds of posts in the other forums). That doesn't seem to be "dying for lack of interest" to me.

With all due respect, I think you need to reevaluate your comments, my friend.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
As a sponsor of the website and several others, I've been impressed with the content and information accessible. In fact, my one concern overall is how free all the content is. There has been only a few "premium" features and up to now, almost every bit of content has been accessible to all.

I believe the Sawmill crew has done incredibly well since the merger at the first of the year. I do hope more decide to support this venture financially. It will not succeed unless the community helps - and I believe that their benefit outweighs the minimal cost. I know I've gotten a great value for my enjoyment.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
I completely agree. The site is awesome and the fee is minor in comparison to the value it brings.
INiedrauer
Staff
I appreciate everyone's comments. There will come a time when there will be more premium content although the forums will always be free. Right now as the site is growing, almost all editorial content is free too. Those who are supporting us with premium subscriptions and sponsorship are making this possible because this all isn't free for us. Truth be told, nobody in this venture is profiting right now but it's something we love and we want to create a quality product for the community. That might change eventually, and as it does, I hope the quality and size of our team does as well. In the meantime, the new site is only a few months old and continues to grow. Thanks to all for continuing to make it possible.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA88
edstile said:

Gazette1 said:

And as to "dying for lack of interest', do you realize that the William R. Johnson Coliseum (BB) Forum alone has had over 1,900 posts since it went live a little over three months ago? (And obviously, that excludes hundreds of posts in the other forums). That doesn't seem to be "dying for lack of interest" to me.

With all due respect, I think you need to reevaluate your comments, my friend.
That doesn't include all the times I visit the site and never post anything. I'm sure I'm not the only one that does that. No, this site is definitely not dying for lack of interest.

Also, you do realize you just read content and posted a comment without paying a dime.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.