Idaho - CIT Round 1

9,657 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TallTexan
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a demoralizing effort.
nacluth
TJ fouled out with 6:20 left?
nacluth
Turns out as hard as we try, you can't get a charge in the defensive circle.
MasterAxe
Hopefully, between now and next year, we find someone who can install an offense.

What made BU great was the offense was innovative and creative. It flowed. Always moving.

This "offense"' does none of that. It's stagnant.

Its Dannyball. Yuck.

This is where I'm calling for Keller to improve.

Give our guys a chance to try something new, because whatever this is on offense, is the worst.
rgrooms24
Frustrating end for D.C. Wish him the best.

Congrats to Idaho. Come by the HPE basement and pick up your 2017 Intramural Champions shirts. What a crazy HPE looking setup.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Man, next year we really need a couple of guys that can make a basket from beyond 15 feet.
nacluth
Playing at 10 in Idaho seems like we don't have the legs. Traylor must have some issues because coach doesn't like playing him. Canete isn't getting any time either. 42-49 at one point, now 48-67. Winchester in. This really is next year. Nieminen and Grujic on the floor.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Are we actually playing Longwood tonight? Maybe this is just a replay of that video.
MasterAxe
I'm glad we signed up for this tourney.

What a waste. This is almost an even worse way to end the season than if we had just called it quits after the SLC.
INiedrauer
Staff
I don't think a CIT game has any influence on how I see next season. Offseason starts now, though. Let's get better!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Feed is gone again, and so am I.

When's the FB Spring practice game? I'm going with the Purple team by three touchdowns.
sfa17
Not too sad for Dallas bc he had 3 really great years. No way he thought he would go 53-14 or something and win 2 NCAA tournament games when he signed up for sfa. Not the best ending but a hell of a start.
rgrooms24
INiedrauer said:

I don't think a CIT game has any influence on how I see next season. Offseason starts now, though. Let's get better!

Well said.
MasterAxe
I hope to the Lord you're right.

Cause this was awful.

Definitely exposes our major problems on offense...you know, like scoring.
sfa17
I'm still optimistic about next season but I'm going approach the season more cautiously than before.
nacluth
Pull out your stones, but I actually thought the offense scheme was working. We were getting guys open, we just couldn't pass or shoot. And some where, we gave up. Canete didn't see the floor in the last 12 minutes. And most of the other starters seem to be as well. Their defense was not lockdown by any means. I don't know how many looks we missed that second half, but it was bad.

Still optimistic for next year. Can't stop me.
MasterAxe
This is where the "Kyle Keller is a great recruiter" comes into play.

Find us some guys who are capable of scoring from outside the paint.
ejasper12
The paint needs to be open...
Better decision making in the backcourt.
You need 1 sharp shooter..
It doesnt matter whether you have shooters or not.
You have to have someone that can handle the ball, get guys open and can score.
If you pay attention, Low IQ on the fkoor...
That's something that can't be taught...
No banging in the paint....
Next year will be totally different...
Speed, quickness, ball handling, decision making, knock down 3 point shooter and a PF that can rebound, put backs, pick and rill.
Also setting screens.
BigJack85
Real waste of time in my estimation. I don't know how we came out so flat. Wow.
SFA Jack Fanatic
ejasper12 said:

The paint needs to be open...
Better decision making in the backcourt.
You need 1 sharp shooter..
It doesnt matter whether you have shooters or not.
You have to have someone that can handle the ball, get guys open and can score.
If you pay attention, Low IQ on the fkoor...
That's something that can't be taught...
No banging in the paint....
Next year will be totally different...
Speed, quickness, ball handling, decision making, knock down 3 point shooter and a PF that can rebound, put backs, pick and rill.
Also setting screens.
I definitely agree about the paint being too congested. Spread things out more. Give Gimore and Holyfield some space to do their thing.

And against a packed zone - which teams knew they could do due to our woeful 30% shooting beyond the arc - a sharp shooter, like Meech Floyd was last year. That's not asking too much, is it??
INiedrauer
Staff
Guard play was definitely a hindrance. I'll miss Dallas, his character and leadership may go unmatched for awhile, but he was playing out of position all season as a point. Not a criticism - it was a necessity given the personnel. It will make a big difference having guys grow up in the system and playing in their natural positions though.
PurpleOut
Staff
I was there. That place sucked. Tourney sucked, refs sucked...they were laughing and joking with the Idaho players and coaches all game. Idaho was only called for 11 fouls all game. In addition to the ****ty Facebook graphics/team name, the gym announcer called us FSA all night. But very uninspired effort on our part, which was disappointing. But these guys had to travel for 15 hours the day before, and had to stay in a hotel 2 hours away from Moscow. That'll wear on anyone.

It is what it is, we accomplished a lot for what we had and what we went through. Dallas as mentioned is an SFA legend, but just not a starting PG. Also keep in mind I think the assumption was Daeshon Francis would have been a starter if he would have made it here. Just checked, he averaged 18.2 pgg, 6.6 rpg and 3.1 apg for a 26-6 UTPB team. Think that could have helped out this year? Then you have CJ out for the year, Ty out, Bain out, Nieminen out. Just an insane amount of things that went wrong....and we still were just a game away from winning the league. Pretty remarkable if you ask me. A lot of the things the staff can improve on, and they will.

Next year should be fun, I think expectations are very high. For and from everyone. I'm sure we'll see a few guys transfer, but a solid group returning plus a really good recruiting class that can still get better before next season. We'll see. Future is very bright.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

Hopefully, between now and next year, we find someone who can install an offense.

What made BU great was the offense was innovative and creative. It flowed. Always moving.

This "offense"' does none of that. It's stagnant.

Its Dannyball. Yuck.

This is where I'm calling for Keller to improve.

Give our guys a chance to try something new, because whatever this is on offense, is the worst.

Watching SFA before Underwood was always depressing. You knew we could win, but with Kasper, sometimes a 5 point margin seemed insurmountable.

I'd definitely have liked us to stick with the Underwood offense rather than trying to switch. Hopefully Keller will get something working.
BigJack85
I don't see us going back to Danny ball all the way but I do see some regression.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

I was there. That place sucked. Tourney sucked, refs sucked...
So, let me get this straight... That place sucked?
RedRiverLa
Well said PurpleOut. It looked dismal on TV...well Facebook computer screen. Hard to get any good camera angle with the one iphone camera it was shot on. FSA, Steven F Austin, wrong logo - wow. I felt like I was watching coaches film edited by the public access channel team. And after the 8 time of reminding me we started the game down 7-0...oh well, so glad we didn't pay to host like Prison Tech did last year. Although, if we ever do, I donate my iphone for at least a two-camera setup.
RedRiverLa

ejasper12
Rebuilding, every team goes through that...
Todd Henry
I really hope I'm wrong, but Keller doesn't seem to be a coach as much as he is a recruiter. Young team, so that weighs in heavily. I want to see what he accomplishes in the next two years. I hope he ****s me up. #Gillispie
Todd Henry
I see the talent here! I hope it's used to the best of its potential. Choose any other conference in division 1 and this team is sub .500. Not deserving of a post season, even the CIT.

I'm am excited about next year. TJ, Gilmore, Charles and Kevon is something to be excited about.
BigJack85
I hope your right Todd. I see some talent but I don't see an offense. ..... well actually I do but it's offensive.
Todd Henry
Any speculation of players transferring next year? Why did Francis pass on SFA? Also, any commits to look forward to next year?
INiedrauer
Staff
Todd Henry said:

I really hope I'm wrong, but Keller doesn't seem to be a coach as much as he is a recruiter. Young team, so that weighs in heavily. I want to see what he accomplishes in the next two years. I hope he ****s me up. #Gillispie
I've heard this narrative and I don't agree with that assessment at all. I've watched him lead practice. He's definitely a coach.

Keller is known as a recruiter because he was so good at it at Texas A&M. Things like that are tangible (i.e. ranked recruiting classes, etc) but I don't get those who think that just because he's known for one aspect of his job that it's somehow all he can do.
TallTexan
Can you expand on this Isaac? I think from a lot of our perspectives, we just don't see the output you would expect from a great coach. At times, the offensive philosophy looks to be lacking, you never know if the team will show up etc.

We know he's a great recruiter based on his reputation and results, but we just haven't seen the same early results from the team. I think we're just all concerned that the success under BU might be fleeting and don't want to lose that momentum.

Would love if you can expand on what you're seeing and also tell us what Keller's vision for the offense is. BU's teams were incredibly fun to watch on both sides of the ball. What should we expect from Keller's team next year with an offseason of work?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Todd Henry said:

Any speculation of players transferring next year? Why did Francis pass on SFA? Also, any commits to look forward to next year?
Francis was a JUCO at Midland College. It was believed that he wanted to stay in that part of the state, so he went to Permian Basin.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.