SFA (6) / UTA (3) - WACVegas 24 Round 2

5,039 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by No-look
ServiceJack88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From the people I have talked to around the program it is in terrible shape. There is one person to blame. Kyle Keller. I just talked to someone who is in Vegas and they said he's already left to go "recruiting". I think he's got a bunch of people fooled on what a good person he is.
I wouldn't be surprised if we have zero returning players next year. Should be interesting to see who hits the portal over the next few days
SFAJack_76
ServiceJack88 said:

From the people I have talked to around the program it is in terrible shape. There is one person to blame. Kyle Keller. I just talked to someone who is in Vegas and they said he's already left to go "recruiting". I think he's got a bunch of people fooled on what a good person he is.
I wouldn't be surprised if we have zero returning players next year. Should be interesting to see who hits the portal over the next few days
Yep. He left the building. For, whatever. The team is still in Vegas. This isn't new behavior though. He's done this before.

Leadership?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Heading out immediately to recruit is exactly what he should be doing. Criticize him for other things if you wish, but not for immediately hitting the recruiting trail. Do you really think that all of the head coaches who are not still playing are sitting around feeling sorry for their situations and doing nothing?? They're recruiting.

And BTW, anyone who says he's not "a good man" is someone who obviously doesn't really know much about the man.
JHard
sfajack05 said:

Whelp another season down the drain. Another embarrassing loss in the tournament.

How did we get to the point where we are turning out t-shirts for a first round conference tournament win? Didn't we make fun of Sam for doing the same exact things in years past?

Feel bad for the players. Coaches are not doing them any favors, running them into the ground, not adjusting playing style, etc. Wouldn't blame them (the players) if they all left. Coaches making our social media department look like a joke with pushing the PressU hashtag.

Something needs to change and I think we all know what it is.

After the ACU game, I think it was Jossell that said something like, "you have to have a certain mental toughness to play here in this system." And I get that in general, I have a lot of respect for the guys on our team currently as individuals. And, I have the same respect for Keller as a person.

But...now it makes me think about it more. If each year we're pushing guys so hard that everyone gets injured in practice, guys see limited minutes, and all we're getting out of it is middle of the road seasons...what's the point? Is this mentality actually working?

Like I said before, this is no longer a one-off random season. This is the Kyle Keller trend. Let's now take a look at our post season history under Keller.

16-17: 2nd game loss to Corpus A&M, then a 23 point loss to Idaho in the CIT.
17-18: Good season and won the SLC Tournament (as the 3 seed)
18-19: Didn't qualify for Southland Tournament
19-20: No tournament for COVID, unfortunate
20-21: No tournament for post-season ban
21-22: First game loss to ACU, then a 12 point loss to UNC Ashville in the CBI
22-23: First game loss to Utah Tech
23-24: 2nd game loss to UTA

So in 8 seasons, we've won a total of 5 conference tournament games. Yeah, we were unlucky for 19/20 and 20/21. Not to mention that the 16/17 & 17/18 seasons were also vacated, so technically this years ACU game is the only postseason win that counts. The only positive thing we can say about these 8 years is the "what if" years. Sorry, that doesn't cut it for me any longer.

So...we're getting the kids that I guess have the best mentality and what are we doing with it?

KT Turner was able to assemble a legitimate squad in one season with transfers from Texas A&M, Louisville, Saint Louis, Kansas State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Tulsa, & Western Kentucky.

I will back every SFA coach and every system/plan that they have. But if 5+ years later that system isn't working...then it's time to change things up.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Heading out immediately to recruit is exactly what he should be doing. Criticize him for other things if you wish, but not for immediately hitting the recruiting trail. Do you really think that all of the head coaches who are not still playing are sitting around feeling sorry for their situations and doing nothing?? They're recruiting.

And BTW, anyone who says he's not "a good man" is someone who obviously doesn't really know much about the man.

Agree.
JHard
SFAJack_76 said:

JHard said:

Absolutely smoked last night. To be honest I'm not as upset as I thought I would be, UTA will never have another game like that. Impressive to watch really. Especially our second half, I thought we played quite well in most areas.

We had a slow start as normal, but scored 51 points in the second half. Any other night we're at least in a close game.

I was however disappointed in the effort in the paint. Maybe they were tired, maybe they were nervous. They looked intimidated and it showed.

I'll be interested to see how the offseason goes. 18-15 is a disappointing season. I know of course the guys and staff are just as disappointed, but right now if you look at Keller's tenure here...this is a trend more than just a random average season. I imagine we'll lose several more after Hall. And I don't blame them, to go through the system that Keller has only to play limited minutes on an 18-15 team...I don't know.

Our Ladyjacks are still in it...but I'm not in a good place in terms of how SFA Athletics is performing. Underwhelming coaches and performances, no AD currently. We'll see.
Someone near me last night commented that the second half looked like an NBA all star game. No defense, just run the floor and shoot. Only, one team had a huge lead.

Perhaps you should comment further about our "underwhelming coaches." We have a number of coaches that have significantly exceeded the results at peer institutions that have much greater resources.
Which coaches other than Humphreys and now maybe Bishop are exceeding results here at SFA...much less peer institutions?

It's not Keller. It's not Carthel. It's not Cardenas. It's not Schroeder. It wasn't the soccer coach we just fired. Softball coach gets a pass of course but they're struggling.

We're currently tied for 7th in the WAC Commissioners Cup (thanks to Volleyball). Everyone can continue to try to pump as much sunshine as possible, and I'll continue to support everything about this University...but let's face it...SFA Athletics is NOT in a good spot right now.

SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I disagree completely. Recruiting now is 365 days a year. One more day to spend with your team is worth much more than leaving town. Again. Remember the transfer portal? What Coach at this stage of the season isn't recruiting their current players? What if they had won? What recruiting wouldn't happen? Did he have an at home visit scheduled for today or tomorrow? Make a phone call. Send a text message. Don't leave your kids the day after many of them just had the worst loss in their life. Leadership.

BTW, there are people much, much closer to the program than either of us that know a lot about the man.
SFAJack_76
Catch up with me at softball, tennis, baseball or T&F this spring. We will be at most. I would like to discuss my thoughts on current state.
FBK_Lumberjack
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ooof, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you might not know the man as well as you think you do. You haven't seen or heard how the sausage is made in that program, and honestly, there's a lot to tell. However, this forum is not the correct platform to go into excessive detail on that for a litany of reasons. Just know that there is a list of character issues a mile long that define who he truly is, and the truth would shock our fans. I promise you that.
Rev007
I enjoy reading all the comments regarding our basketball team. Whether I agree with the comments or not, they come from fans passionate about our team. Here's my take on this fiasco of a season:

If this were a ship, it sunk. Likewise, it were a train, it derailed. However, it's a basketball team that played hard for most of the season, but it lacked talent. I've never seen a Jack's team that shot the ball so poorly. You may disagree and point to our statistical shooting average, but a large portion of our made shots come near or under the basket. There is only one consistent shooter on the team, and that is Jossell. Most of the rest of the team is wildly inconsistent. Take Matt Hayman for instance. He had 3 or 4 remarkable half's this season in which he was hotter than a firecracker, but that pales in comparison to 30 games in which he was below average. Another is Nana. He has a remarkable game in which he scores 30, and then he lays an egg. Christmas is a fantastic athlete who plays great defense, but his shooting percentage beyond 4 feet is pathetic. I could go on and on, but I think I would make myself utterly depressed.

I'm really concerned about next year, especially if Jossell hit a the transfer portal. We only lost two players, Staine and Cajuste, but they are two of our better players. I don't think we stand a chance next year if we can't overhaul this team. A complete rebuild is needed, and that includes coaches if they are indeed the problem. Coach Keller's recruiting has been anemic most years except for the magnificent group of juco players in 2019. Maybe Keller should turn the recruiting over to someone else.

What happened to our defense? Giving up 109 points to any team shows me the team didn't play hard.

Pure and simple, 18-15 sucks. I'm not going to drink the kool-aide and predict that we will be okay next year. I have serious doubts unless we get a bevy of talented shooters.

How is it that Tarleton, an inferior school to SFA and located in Stephenville with an interim head coach can out-recruit us?

A lot of people including myself wondered why Coach Keller substituted so often and way more than he has done in the past. I think it was because he didn't have a go to guy who he could count on. He was just hoping someone might get hot that night and carry the team.

Keller has to shoulder the blame for the recruits he signed. He also is responsible for making sure players develop. For these two tasks and for the 2023-2024 season, I give him a grade of "D".

Like it or not, that's my opinion.
No-look
Rev007 said:

I enjoy reading all the comments regarding our basketball team. Whether I agree with the comments or not, they come from fans passionate about our team. Here's my take on this fiasco of a season:

If this were a ship, it sunk. Likewise, it were a train, it derailed. However, it's a basketball team that played hard for most of the season, but it lacked talent. I've never seen a Jack's team that shot the ball so poorly. You may disagree and point to our statistical shooting average, but a large portion of our made shots come near or under the basket. There is only one consistent shooter on the team, and that is Jossell. Most of the rest of the team is wildly inconsistent. Take Matt Hayman for instance. He had 3 or 4 remarkable half's this season in which he was hotter than a firecracker, but that pales in comparison to 30 games in which he was below average. Another is Nana. He has a remarkable game in which he scores 30, and then he lays an egg. Christmas is a fantastic athlete who plays great defense, but his shooting percentage beyond 4 feet is pathetic. I could go on and on, but I think I would make myself utterly depressed.

I'm really concerned about next year, especially if Jossell hit a the transfer portal. We only lost two players, Staine and Cajuste, but they are two of our better players. I don't think we stand a chance next year if we can't overhaul this team. A complete rebuild is needed, and that includes coaches if they are indeed the problem. Coach Keller's recruiting has been anemic most years except for the magnificent group of juco players in 2019. Maybe Keller should turn the recruiting over to someone else.

What happened to our defense? Giving up 109 points to any team shows me the team didn't play hard.

Pure and simple, 18-15 sucks. I'm not going to drink the kool-aide and predict that we will be okay next year. I have serious doubts unless we get a bevy of talented shooters.

How is it that Tarleton, an inferior school to SFA and located in Stephenville with an interim head coach can out-recruit us?

A lot of people including myself wondered why Coach Keller substituted so often and way more than he has done in the past. I think it was because he didn't have a go to guy who he could count on. He was just hoping someone might get hot that night and carry the team.

Keller has to shoulder the blame for the recruits he signed. He also is responsible for making sure players develop. For these two tasks and for the 2023-2024 season, I give him a grade of "D".

Like it or not, that's my opinion.
. All our recruits this year are good players and I hope they stay and develop... I'm looking at this years WAC first and second team selections and the defensive selections and all are dominated by the four teams that remain…Jossell should have been in there somewhere
Jacks1989
Agree with a lot of what Rev posted. Only had one consistent shooter. Jossell. Man I hope he stays. We need to recruit some shooters.
Jacks1989
Oklahoma States coach is out. We recruited Jamyron Keller who ended up at ok state. He's a guard. Coaches should be all over him.
MasterAxe
So, the Region 14 Juco tourney is here in Tyler.

Went the other day and there are some ABSOLUTE MONSTERS playing for these Juco teams.

Saw coaches from Tarleton, UTRGV, Northern Kentucky, Lamar, Sam, LaTech, SFA.

And those are just the logos on the vests that I could see.

The JUCO route is definitely and option and there are some DAWGs here at this tourney.
MasterAxe
Jacks1989 said:

Oklahoma States coach is out. We recruited Jamyron Keller who ended up at ok state. He's a guard. Coaches should be all over him.

Just play the Keller radio commercial and watch all the studs like up to sign.
Jacks1989
The Jacks made an offer to Jamil Muttlib out of Kilgore. Did u see him play?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

Look at jboy93's comments over on the Recruiting forum. He has watched him recently.
ServiceJack88
Id like to apologize and retract my statement. I'm watching the WBB game and Kyle Keller is attendance. The camera panned by him twice!
No-look
This guy having a hard time coping with the GCU loss. Lol
nacluth
I'm having a hard time figuring out how you cut an elevator line. Do elevators usually have lines? Don't people usually kind of crowd an elevator lobby?

What's not classless is putting your petty gripes online to hopefully shame others. Total class.
No-look
nacluth said:

I'm having a hard time figuring out how you cut an elevator line. Do elevators usually have lines? Don't people usually kind of crowd an elevator lobby?

What's not classless is putting your petty gripes online to hopefully shame others. Total class.
Ha! When I first read this I thought we had destroyed something valuable lol
nacluth
Rev007
I've definitely experienced long lines waiting for the elevator at a few places I can recall, the university I used to teach at and Vegas hotels. It's not anything illegal, but it violates a moral code of decency.
migata33
Keller should be out recruiting 24/7 as based on the comments we finally have some agreed heat on the man. I think he is a fine person and anyone saying otherwise is wrong but next year is his put up or get out year in my mind. He will be back next year so let's hope he finally gets the right mix of players and makes us relevant. Im sick of no confidence in my thinking we can beat anyone as we can't and I need Keller and his staff to make me change my mind. Lets all have an open mind and trust our leadership team will assure our sports have the right people in place to keep our energy clean and clear.
SFASawmillGuy

Very interesting end to the WAC championship game…
Jacks1989
Didn't someone say a classless move by a classless team?
No-look
Didn't a GCU player dunk in another game at the end when ahead this year?
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks1989 said:

Look at jboy93's comments over on the Recruiting forum. He has watched him recently.

Muttilieb made the all tournament team. Tailed off in the last game missing a lot of shots. Kilgore has a 6'6 player Willie Williams. I liked him more that Muttilieb. He could be a player like Kinsmill!
Jacks1989
Hopefully we can get a stud or two from a juco but we really need to get a good shooter and point from the portal.
SCH890
We need someone who can shoot behind the Arc well when we kick it out. Jossell is really our only main guy in that regard. Hayman is up there and Nana can occasionally do it. Other than that. Lots of paint play.
No-look
Jacks1989 said:

Hopefully we can get a stud or two from a juco but we really need to get a good shooter and point from the portal.
. Lots of things to consider when offering recruits. Character, coachable etc but they have to be able to create and score and play solid defense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.