SFA / Abilene Christian (2)

4,904 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by No-look
Jacks1989
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Those were the good ole days in the Southland. McNeese rules the Southland now. They just blew out Nicholls on the road today by 27. They are 23-3.
No-look
ServiceJack88 said:

Did anyone watch the press conference after the game? Keller started blaming players. HE NEEDS TO BE GONE!
watched that and didn't hear him blaming players. He didn't say anything that wasn't true.
Jacks1989
Link for press conference?
No-look
Jacks1989 said:

Link for press conference?
Jacks1989
Thanks No Look. Just listened and Coach K did not say anything wrong or did not say anything that didn't need to be said.
MasterAxe
We're about to lose every game the rest of the year, aren't we?
RedRiverLa
Underwood is 10-4 in the Big 10, in second place only behind #2 in the country, Purdue. He is who we thought he was.
BigJack85
At the game. Shocked. Just shocked. Not sure what we are missing. The first 30 minutes we looked like a championship team. Last 8-9 minutes we looked like Nicholls St in the early 2000's.

Keller needs come up with some answers. I'm a big supporter, but some (not all) of this is coaching. He's got one more year in his contract. Next years squad better be a 20 win version.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Keller's contract goes through the 2025-2026 season. To terminate him without cause would cost over $500K.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Bad loss today, no words can cover that up. Blame who you like.

That said of course we have one that says Keller blamed players for it. Listen to the presser....he did not blame players. Did say that players are having to cover different positions with the 2 guys out but the blaming players statement is another false flag. Just step up and say you don't like him instead of making stuff up.

That said there is plenty of blame to go around after this collapse on the home court.

Also in presser he mentioned "a player" had some emotional issues arising from family matters and wasn't really available today. He did not mention a name which is probably correct call -----that may explain why one player only on the court for about 5 minutes.
Jacks1989
Exactly this. Well said. Still love my Jacks!
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

That said of course we have one that says Keller blamed players for it. Listen to the presser....he did not blame players. Did say that players are having to cover different positions with the 2 guys out but the blaming players statement is another false flag. Just step up and say you don't like him instead of making stuff up.

That said there is plenty of blame to go around after this collapse on the home court.

Also in presser he mentioned "a player" had some emotional issues arising from family matters and wasn't really available today. He did not mention a name which is probably correct call -----that may explain why one player only on the court for about 5 minutes.

But but but, depth! We have depth! Depth I say! Depth! So many depths!
nacluth
Tarleton standing strong in second regularly plays 7 and has an 8th who snags a couple of minutes. We still played 10 today. Typically Keller has played 8 or 9 in years past. We're definitely not losing because we're shorthanded.
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

But but but, depth! We have depth! Depth I say! Depth! So many depths!

We do have depth. We just don't seem to have the balls to step on an opponent's throat.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Tarleton standing strong in second regularly plays 7 and has an 8th who snags a couple of minutes. We still played 10 today. Typically Keller has played 8 or 9 in years past. We're definitely not losing because we're shorthanded.

100%. We just don't have that killer instinct. That soft underbelly has reared its ugly head about 7 times this season. Up by 10 or more , middle of the 2nd half. Can't string together 3 solid defensive stands and force the opponent to take riskier shots. Not us. Simmons drove the lane 10-12 times tonight. Converted plenty and he ain't svelte.
RedRiverLa
Simmons on their team, who hit the winning shot, was a bull in a china closet. He just put his head down and barreled down the lane and pushed us aside and/or left wide open for the drive. Remember when we were very good at taking charges. He was the perfect player to set up a charge with, yet we never did. We weren't even close to being in position.
Rev007
This is the first home game that I haven't attended this year. However, I just finished watching the replay and couldn't believe the monumental collapse. Actually, I can believe it.

The game turned when Wilson entered in the second half. I think it was about the 13 minute mark. However, he did play decently in the first half. Let's give Southwick some credit for playing very well until he was pulled for the bad inbounds pass. Inbounds passes….hmmm…how can a team that has played 25 games still have a problem inbounding the ball? Sorry, but that's on the coaching staff. The five second count on Wilson's inbound pass was costly as were Hayman clunking a free throw off the front of the rim and Beaubrun missing one of his free throws. How about the opposition's best three point shooters regularly being wide open? Jossell is an excellent shooter, but he is not a point guard. Too many turnovers. What happened to Staine? If he is not injured, he is in the doghouse.

Finally, here is the reason we lost: we don't have enough leadership, don't have enough good shooters, and don't have enough athletic defenders who play with effort. At this point, I see an upcoming four game road losing streak and the possibility of missing the WAC tournament. Even if we get in the tournament, we won't win more than one game. The team has size, but no confidence, no moxie, and collectively a very low basketball IQ.

Coach Keller has had only one outstanding recruiting class. That was when he brought in talented junior college transfers: Kensmil, Cameron Johnson, Roti Ware, Kachelries, and Charlie Daniels. No other recruiting class comes close to that one, but is one great recruiting class out of 8 seasons good enough? I think not.

Time to break it down and rebuild with players that might not look great in gym shorts, but who have a gritty determination and confidence to win games that should be won and steal games when the odds are stacked against them.
BigJack85
RedRiverLa said:

Simmons on their team, who hit the winning shot, was a bull in a china closet. He just put his head down and barreled down the lane and pushed us aside and/or left wide open for the drive. Remember when we were very good at taking charges. He was the perfect player to set up a charge with, yet we never did. We weren't even close to being in position.

100%
nacluth
Just want to say Nana and Jalil keep doing their jobs. Not perfect but they have been solid. Southwick had a good game today.
BigJack85
Rev007 said:

This is the first home game that I haven't attended this year. However, I just finished watching the replay and couldn't believe the monumental collapse. Actually, I can believe it.

The game turned when Wilson entered in the second half. I think it was about the 13 minute mark. However, he did play decently in the first half. Let's give Southwick some credit for playing very well until he was pulled for the bad inbounds pass. Inbounds passes….hmmm…how can a team that has played 25 games still have a problem inbounding the ball? Sorry, but that's on the coaching staff. The five second count on Wilson's inbound pass was costly as were Hayman clunking a free throw off the front of the rim and Beaubrun missing one of his free throws. How about the opposition's best three point shooters regularly being wide open? Jossell is an excellent shooter, but he is not a point guard. Too many turnovers. What happened to Staine? If he is not injured, he is in the doghouse.

Finally, here is the reason we lost: we don't have enough leadership, don't have enough good shooters, and don't have enough athletic defenders who play with effort. At this point, I see an upcoming four game road losing streak and the possibility of missing the WAC tournament. Even if we get in the tournament, we won't win more than one game. The team has size, but no confidence, no moxie, and collectively a very low basketball IQ.

Coach Keller has had only one outstanding recruiting class. That was when he brought in talented junior college transfers: Kensmil, Cameron Johnson, Roti Ware, Kachelries, and Charlie Daniels. No other recruiting class comes close to that one, but is one great recruiting class out of 8 seasons good enough? I think not.

Time to break it down and rebuild with players that might not look great in gym shorts, but who have a gritty determination and confidence to win games that should be won and steal games when the odds are stacked against them.

I think it's next year or bust for Keller. Not because I necessarily want him gone, but if SFA doesn't do something miraculous over the final stretch of games, next year will loom large. I believe his contract is up after the 24-25 season (my recollection). He'll keep as much of the core group he has here and hope that the razor margins we lose by are going to turn in our favor next year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

RedRiverLa said:

100%

Agreed. Kensmil was great at taking charges. He'd get 1 or 2 every game. There seems to be no one on this team that takes any. As Red said, it's all about position, as well as being willing to sacrifice your body for the sake of the team.

And by the way, I thought Hayman played a decent game, although he missed possible/probable game-winning free throws in the waning seconds for the second straight game. Those were killers.

SFAJack_76
A little context to the season. After yesterday, NET is 164 out of 362 teams.

12-11 against D1 teams. Ten of the 12 wins have come against quad 4 teams. 1-5 against quad 3 teams.

Jacks1989
Drake win is Quad 2 or 3? I figured 2.
nacluth
0-1 Q1 (Utah State)
1-1 Q2 (Drake W, GCU L)
MasterAxe
In the standings we now sit 1 game up on 8th place and two games up on 9th.

I'd assume the resume seedlings will have us 6th.

We're likely underdogs in all four upcoming road games and losing all four is a distinct possibility.

Which means, the chance to just make the conference tourney may come down to the last two games at home against SUU and UTech.

What a **** show.
MasterAxe
MasterAxe said:

In the standings we now sit 1 game up on 8th place and two games up on 9th.

I'd assume the resume seedlings will have us 6th.

We're likely underdogs in all four upcoming road games and losing all four is a distinct possibility.

Which means, the chance to just make the conference tourney may come down to the last two games at home against SUU and UTech.

What a **** show.

New, 2/18 seedings have us at 5. But, won't take much to slide further down.
No-look
All four road games are winnable. The GCU will be the toughest. It looks bleak right now but it can change in a hurry. We're not done till we're done. All it takes is a win streak.
Jacks1989
I agree, we are not done until we are done. I thought we had turned the corner yesterday. Really thought the team was coming together since the injuries. Then, well you know what happened.
JHard
No-look said:

All four road games are winnable. The GCU will be the toughest. It looks bleak right now but it can change in a hurry. We're not done till we're done. All it takes is a win streak.

The chance of us winning at GCU right now is .00000001%.
Pilotgirl
RedRiverLa said:

This reminded me of John Comeaux, who could take (or fake) a charge like no one I've seen. I'm missing that kinda player on our MBB team.
No-look
JHard said:

No-look said:

The chance of us winning at GCU right now is .00000001%.
. Sooo, you're saying there's a chance!
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

RedRiverLa said:

This reminded me of John Comeaux, who could take (or fake) a charge like no one I've seen. I'm missing that kinda player on our MBB team.

The toughest player I think we've ever had.
Rev007
I'm normally a very optimistic Jacks fan. However, to think we will all four road games during this abysmal season is just not reasonable. I certainly hope we do, but I see a 1-3 or 0-4 road trip. I hope I'm wrong. I will always support the Jacks win or lose, but I'm crossing my fingers for a better recruiting class for 2024-2025 and additional improvement from whichever players return. It would be nice to recruit a couple of freshmen who won't leave after one or two seasons. However, experienced junior college players are necessary for this underperforming team.

I believe Coach Keller can win with talented players, but not our current group. He has to recruit better.
BigJack85
Rev007 said:

I'm normally a very optimistic Jacks fan. However, to think we will all four road games during this abysmal season is just not reasonable. I certainly hope we do, but I see a 1-3 or 0-4 road trip. I hope I'm wrong. I will always support the Jacks win or lose, but I'm crossing my fingers for a better recruiting class for 2024-2025 and additional improvement from whichever players return. It would be nice to recruit a couple of freshmen who won't leave after one or two seasons. However, experienced junior college players are necessary for this underperforming team.

I believe Coach Keller can win with talented players, but not our current group. He has to recruit better.

I've thought the same thing but after reevaluating our season , I think it's time to consider our fitness. We seem to struggle at stages in the game.

Look at the first half. We had 13 or 14 point lead whittled down to 10. Ok. Not to bad, but then you look at the 18 point lead we had with 10 minutes left. Was it all mental? Idk, but my experience in athletics is when you are tired you make unexplainable mistakes. That's what we have in our squad. A sequence of mysterious mistakes.

I can't believe it's all a weird coincidence.
No-look
We struggled against their zone but still should have won. I think it was lost by those uncontested threes in second half. Hopefully we will get it together. First half we dominated but it takes two halves.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.