SFA / Tarleton

3,530 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ljacks&Longnecks
sfajack05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Keller will figure it out one of these seasons.
MasterAxe
Rev007 said:

The truth hurts.

The truth is a pain in the ass lol
MasterAxe
sfajack05 said:

Keller will figure it out one of these seasons.

It's year 8: needs more time.

Maybe by year 14
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

Missing Cajuste…….
He was at WRJ supporting the Ladyjacks.

Good for him. Hopefully he gets another year of eligibility. We could have used his craft early in the game.
No-look
Got to get it together.
nacluth
KenPom rankings

Kasper:
07 - 195
08 - 96
09 - 101 NCAA
10 - 157
11 - 209
12 - 155
13 - 70

Underwood:
14 - 70 NCAA
15 - 51 NCAA
16 - 41 NCAA

Keller:
17 - 233
18 - 112 NCAA
19 - 311
20 - 100
21 - 151
22 - 123
23 - 132
24 - 137* after today's loss

A lot of fluctuation in the Southland years. Such a spread in our conference team rankings. If your season wasn't great, your rankings tanked. We've been quite consistent in the WAC so far (granted a small sample).
Jacks1989
So the Jacks went 28-3 in the 2019/20 (Covid Season) and only got Ranked 100 in Kenpom. Wow!
Buzzsaw11
Danny was a terrible coach (and person) that over performed in 2 seasons. Keller is a terrible coach and seems like (after 8 years of recruits) that he's also bad at the recruiting part of the job as well. You can't hang your hat on defense and be one of the poorest 3pt defensive teams in the nation and you can't bring in 3*s and transfer guys that bail the first week of practice and claim to be a good recruiter. Underwood wasn't around long enough for us to truly see how well he could recruit in mid-major land but he was easily the best X's and O's Coach we've had.
nacluth
The latest numbers out for all the NCAA's basketball programs have SFA at 209th in budget in the country. We're significantly being outspent by GCU, Cal Baptist, Seattle, and UTA. (The numbers are a couple of seasons old, though it doesn't seem like they have changed much.)

Of course I disagree that any of our last three coaches were or are bad coaches. I think by many metrics they all overperformed. Of course Underwood is in a class of his own. There will be for all coaches a time when it will be best to move along, but the question will be whether replacing a decent coach has upside.
BigJack85
Buzzsaw11 said:

Danny was a terrible coach (and person) that over performed in 2 seasons. Keller is a terrible coach and seems like (after 8 years of recruits) that he's also bad at the recruiting part of the job as well. You can't hang your hat on defense and be one of the poorest 3pt defensive teams in the nation and you can't bring in 3*s and transfer guys that bail the first week of practice and claim to be a good recruiter. Underwood wasn't around long enough for us to truly see how well he could recruit in mid-major land but he was easily the best X's and O's Coach we've had.

I rarely go off, but you are dead wrong. I know Danny and your full of _____. I don't know Keller, but you can tell he's a quality coach and individual. We need an influx of $$$. Plain and simple. Maybe our affiliation will help us attract some private bucks. We are very a close and any gambler wouldn't roll the dice, and ditch a very good coach.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

The latest numbers out for all the NCAA's basketball programs have SFA at 209th in budget in the country. We're significantly being outspent by GCU, Cal Baptist, Seattle, and UTA. (The numbers are a couple of seasons old, though it doesn't seem like they have changed much.)

Of course I disagree that any of our last three coaches were or are bad coaches. I think by many metrics they all overperformed. Of course Underwood is in a class of his own. There will be for all coaches a time when it will be best to move along, but the question will be whether replacing a decent coach has upside.

Pretty much nailed it. I'd say statistically Keller is better than decent. I'd say better than good, but not consistently enough great, to fall into the "great" category. 28-3 and beating Duke buys a lot of goodwill imho. 23-9 and tying for 1st in the WAC helps a lot .

This year is yet to be told, but if he comes in above 18 wins (50/50) I don't think the seat is hot. Just warm.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well perhaps Buzz could fill in a few blanks for us. Dannyball was a different brand and style of play that some couldn't get into---that doesn't make him a bad coach and as for bad person I think Buzz would owe some explanation and examples. And personally I think he got a raw deal at Texas St.

I would like to see a list of names of 3 star players and transfers that Keller recruited that then "bailed" after a week of practice. And don't include that Mack kid that went to 10 different colleges.
Underwood was golden here But he did inherit a good bit of talent that was already here.

Only thing I will agree with that Buzz came up with is Yes our 3 pt defense is bad.
Buzzsaw11
Imagine defending a racist. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29948186/danny-kaspar-resigns-texas-state-men-basketball-coach-amid-investigation
BigJack85
Buzzsaw11 said:

Imagine defending a racist. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29948186/danny-kaspar-resigns-texas-state-men-basketball-coach-amid-investigation

Did you know that over 100 of his former players and almost all of his SFA players gave a unified testimonial, that they never heard a racist word from him. This was over a twenty year period. I'm no lawyer but I think Danny took the out instead of fighting the statements. He would have won. The support from his players was more than substantial.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Were the allegations ever proven? Was a final report of the investigation ever released?
SFAJack_76
To put shortcomings in our MBB program on funding ignores that we have some of the best facilities in all of the mid majors. No, we can't charter planes like some, but ask the transfers why they came to SFA. When I asked two of them at meet the Jacks in the fall, they both looked around and said "this." They did not, as most of our student athletes answer that question, say the coach and the family atmosphere.

$28 million facility, basketball expenditures are up roughly 30% since 2020, and MBB just needs more money? What does MBB need that they don't have? All of SFA athletics needs better funding, but I would argue that MBB is the best funded sport on campus.
SFA Jack Fanatic
It's amazing how these guys like Buzzsaw who have rarely or never commented in any of these Sawmill forums suddenly show up and are geniuses at evaluations of coaches. Amazing! We bow down to your obvious superior intellect.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yeah---per Buzz--I'm still waiting on the answer to my 2 questions posted above.

Also waiting on that list of names that bailed on MBB after one week of practice.

Look around Buzz, there are hundreds of names in the transfer portal nowadays. Kids transferring didn't begin here, it's everywhere.

No I'm not putting Keller on a pedestal. It's his job to get players here and make the most out of them, as players/students and men. Mistakes will be made, kids will leave for a variety of reasons. Personalities will conflict. Not everything will flow smoothly. Injuries will derail individuals and seasons.
Take 2 starting players off of any Mid-Major roster (like AJ and Day Day) and tell me that team would not be affected. Keller gets to deal with all this stuff and still carries a 67% win ratio at SFA right now. Probably a lot of schools would wish for that kind of win%.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.