SFA / Southern Utah

4,080 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by SFASawmillGuy
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So since we've been using hockey line changes, in hockey plus/minus (+/-) is a major statistic. How well does your line up do compared to the other team.

Last night, statistically when the starters were playing, we were winning the game, and when the bench was in we were losing. It's more complicated than that over multiple games, but typically Hall, Hayman, Staine win their minutes, AJ is erratic from game to game, and it's a toss up between Stone, Nana, and Jalil who is going to do good each game.

All the other bench players statistically should be bench players from a +/- point of view. I could do a breakdown if anyone is interested.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

So since we've been using hockey line changes, in hockey plus/minus (+/-) is a major statistic. How well does your line up do compared to the other team.

Last night, statistically when the starters were playing, we were winning the game, and when the bench was in we were losing. It's more complicated than that over multiple games, but typically Hall, Hayman, Staine win their minutes, AJ is erratic from game to game, and it's a toss up between Stone, Nana, and Jalil who is going to do good each game.

All the other bench players statistically should be bench players from a +/- point of view. I could do a breakdown if anyone is interested.

Really good insight. Our starting five is really solid. It's just a matter of how much Stone, Beaubrun and Southwick bring in. Agreed about AJ. When he's in we are hard to beat. When he's off…. It's a wild card.
RichieVan
The team has a bad habit of starting to control games, then letting teams right back in it with extended runs. Last night, up 8 late in the first half, SUU goes on a 16-4 run to take the lead. Jacks fight back, start to control the game late in the second half, then let SUU go on a 13-4 run to tie the game at 82. Frustrating when the Jacks have a chance to lengthen the gap and have several empty possessions.
SFA88
Managed to beat a team, by 2 points, that is winless in the WAC and has only won 5 games all year. Hurray?
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

Managed to beat a team, by 2 points, that is winless in the WAC and has only won 5 games all year. Hurray?

Frustrated as h3ll. Keep in mind, road teams went 1-9 in the WAC this weekend ( Thursday - Saturday) No easy treats ever in the WAC.
MasterAxe
I have a metaphor for this game.

Remember the movie "Little Big League?' Billy (the manager) loves Jerry, his favorite player. But, Jerry just isn't cutting it any more. He's lost his touch.

Jerry finally gets a base hit. A seeing-eye-single to right. Billy celebrates wildly. His undying faith in Jerry has been temporarily restored.

Up comes Mac, the ever-wise pitching coach, saying, "Billy, don't you think its concerning that we're this happy over a seeing-eye-single to right?"

This SFA team is Jerry
The SFA Fanbase is Billy
SUU is the seeing-eye-single

Now, the story has a happy ending as Jerry comes back as hitting coach.

Does this mean this SFA team finds it way an comes back? Who knows.
nacluth
I don't know if you're right, but I appreciate the analogy and the time you took to put it together.
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

I don't know if you're right, but I appreciate the analogy and the time you took to put it together.
Same. Don't know if I'm right, but it sounded good in my head.
No-look
Where are we at in the WAC seeding? On wins and loses we are tied for second I think
nacluth
Just a guess looking at the old one that we're either third or fourth. Still think we're behind Tarleton.
No-look
The WAC current power rankings has SFA at #2 just above Seattle. Is that the seeding used?
nacluth
No. It's the resume seeding we're looking for.

Looking at the last one posted Friday. We're in fifth. With us winning at Southern Utah and Utah Valley and Seattle losing on the road, there's a slight chance we move to the third position. If not, essentially a tie for third. Still a little back from Tarleton for second.

I think everyone knows barring a monumental collapse, GCU is the one seed. Doesn't matter at this point. Everyone else needs that second spot which SFA is in a realistic position to get. The only real path to the NCAA's is through those top two spots.
SFAJack_76
Third in the update for 1/16.
nacluth
Just a point about our resume. We're at 11-6 on the season (10-6 D1). We're still at -.018 on the scoring system because we have bad losses and too few good wins. Really if we hadn't had the wins in the Caymans, we'd be discussing if this team is going to be in the top 8 of seeding.
No-look
Four home games. 4-0 would be great. 3-1 reasonable?
Jacks1989
4-0 sounds a lot better!
nacluth
Reasonable, but if there's an odds on bet whether we're going to win one or three games of the next four, someone will have to let me know.
No-look
Where can the updated seeding be found? I found Dec 4th but can't seem to find the updated?
nacluth
https://wacsports.com/documents/2024/1/16/WAC_RESUME_SEEDING_SYSTEM_MBB_UPDATE_JAN_16_2024_.pdf
SFA88
3-1 is reasonable. We all know Grand Canyon is loaded for bear. Of all the WAC players I have seen the past few years, Tyon Grant-Foster looks the most like an NBA player. I think the past 5 or 6 teams have gone into the GCU game playing zone and trying to stop Grant-Foster. So far it hasn't worked but the Lumberjacks can do it. I also think they are due for a loss. I just hope the Jacks don't look past SU.
Jacks1989
We need to focus on Seattle. Looking for a W tomorrow night.
BigJack85
Every game feels like a "must win". With GCU coming to town, it probably is a must win.
SFASawmillGuy
To be honest, every game IS a must win from here on out. We had a bad out of conference run and so far have had a lackluster start to conference play. If we limp into WAC Vegas, even if we win we will be in the worst possible scenario for March and likely be forced into a play in game unless we start winning the games we're supposed to win.
No-look
It's all fixable. Take 3-4 of these home games or maybe all four and we are in good shape. But as mentioned above win the ones your supposed to and see what happens
SFASawmillGuy
No-look said:

It's all fixable. Take 3-4 of these home games or maybe all four and we are in good shape. But as mentioned above win the ones your supposed to and see what happens

It's absolutely fixable and I have faith in Keller. It sucks not having many good OOC games on the schedule to build our resume but that's the life of having the recent success we've had.

The reality of Mid Major athletics with the way college athletics is now is that maintaining lasting success is much, much harder.

The SFA teams of the past were great because they were players that grew together over the years. Starting over with so many new pieces every year is hard. Very hard.

The success will return, if we can take 3-4 or all 4 of these it could be the spark that lights the purple flame again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.