SFA / UT - Rio Grande Valley

3,039 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been bargaining too. My first was to not be the worst team in the WAC. Thankfully I didn't have to give up too much.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I've been bargaining too. My first was to not be the worst team in the WAC. Thankfully I didn't have to give up too much.

Sometimes games like this help a team push through. Here's to hope. Definitely got UTRGV's best shot. They played GCU tight. Maybe they (UTRGV) aren't the worst team in the WAC? Nah, they are.
No-look
I thought both teams played not so good first half and both played well second half
Jacks1989
I watched the game on my phone at work today, it was really hard to watch. Just too many mistakes during the game. Too many turnovers and bad passes. I still think the main issue is that we do not shoot the ball well. We need one person to consistently knock down a shot from the outside. If that happens everything will open up.
nacluth
In Kensmil's 3 seasons, SFA was in the top 15% of two pointer percentage reaching the height of 5th best in his second season.

The last two years we have precipitously dropped to around 50th percentile in the country. DayDay particularly feels like he can't buy a bucket after two solid seasons.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

nacluth said:

7 point win on the road just like we drew it up.
I was never worried

Liar.
SFAXE93
Nana was perfect in this game going 6 for 6 and 5 for 7 at the FT for 17 points.

His 6th time this season to score in double digits.
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

Nana was perfect in this game going 6 for 6 and 5 for 7 at the FT for 17 points.

His 6th time this season to score in double digits.

Nana has stepped up. Impressed. Cajuste had a good game. More of that ….

The two players that I am mystified by are, Hayman and Hall. Hall can't buy a bucket near the basket and Hayman is just off.

SFAJack_76
I'm completely baffled by this team, and what the coaches are doing. Fourteen games into a 31 game season and we don't have a starting five. If anyone can provide any insight into the substitution rotation. I would be grateful to hear what it is. The slow starts are a constant. Does Keller's penchant for pulling a player that makes a mistake in the first few minutes cause them to play really tight, while looking over their shoulder? I don't know, of course. Just wondering.

I keep hearing concerns about DayDay, yet he is shooting .496 on the season, and leads the team in PPG and RPG. Yes, he had a rough game yesterday. DayDay is not enjoying playing basketball. That seems clear to me. "Without my teammates, I wouldn't be here."

Stone is shooting another worldly .720, yet is averaging under 12 minutes a game. Eleven minutes yesterday after being a starter.

NET dropped from 152 to 156. Apparently beating number 323 (up from 324) at their place by 7 is not good.

Help me understand what's going on, please.
nacluth
SFAJack_76 said:

I keep hearing concerns about DayDay, yet he is shooting .496 on the season, and leads the team in PPG and RPG. Yes, he had a rough game yesterday. DayDay is not enjoying playing basketball. That seems clear to me. "Without my teammates, I wouldn't be here.".
I think your whole post is worth discussing about what is going on this season and why Keller's decision making seems so opaque this year, but I just want to follow up on DayDay.

I think we're seeing what you're seeing in that our best statistical player is either not enjoying the game, playing injured, or both. His metrics (especially offensively) are trending down. This is part of the broader down trend of the whole team, but as Hall does most of his work one on one in the post, it feels noticeable.

Like most players, Hall has grown each year, but this season has regressed. Now it's a partial season, but his numbers are more like his first season's.

Not only that, but a month by month split shows how he's sliding as the season continues. Obviously the one game this month isn't worth much, but yesterday's game against a weak conference foe seems representative.

Not dogging on him in anyway. I want him and the team as a whole succeed. But Hall's struggles appear to be part of the team's mood. It's perplexing.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I keep hearing concerns about DayDay, yet he is shooting .496 on the season, and leads the team in PPG and RPG. Yes, he had a rough game yesterday. DayDay is not enjoying playing basketball. That seems clear to me. "Without my teammates, I wouldn't be here.".
I think your whole post is worth discussing about what is going on this season and why Keller's decision making seems so opaque this year, but I just want to follow up on DayDay.

I think we're seeing what you're seeing in that our best statistical player is either not enjoying the game, playing injured, or both. His metrics (especially offensively) are trending down. This is part of the broader down trend of the whole team, but as Hall does most of his work one on one in the post, it feels noticeable.

Like most players, Hall has grown each year, but this season has regressed. Now it's a partial season, but his numbers are more like his first season's.

Not only that, but a month by month split shows how he's sliding as the season continues. Obviously the one game this month isn't worth much, but yesterday's game against a weak conference foe seems representative.

Not dogging on him in anyway. I want him and the team as a whole succeed. But Hall's struggles appear to be part of the team's mood. It's perplexing.

Great analysis. Part of this regression, is our opponents. Our opponents have figured out our lane clogging game plan. To add to it our best 3 point shooter is not clicking.

Having a "starting 5" is part of the challenge. At least Cajuste came to play last night …. Still our turnovers and foul totals are mesmerizingly bad. If we clean up our turnovers, some of our offensive woes will lessen. Having a clear and defined #1 point guard would help. Nana has exceeded expectations. We need more production from the 2/3 slots.
Jacks1989
In the last 4 games both Nana and Staine had 2 huge scoring games a piece. These 2 seem to be breaking out and need to be on the floor. As said previously, we need to hit the outside shot. If this happens every will open up especially in the paint and would be a huge benefit for Day Day. Just think this team is long overdue for a breakout game from our shooters. Expecting many 3s from Staine, Jossell and Hayman tomorrow. Also looks like Jenkins is a player. He needs more minutes.
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

In the last 4 games both Nana and Staine had 2 huge scoring games a piece. These 2 seem to be breaking out and need to be on the floor. As said previously, we need to hit the outside shot. If this happens every will open up especially in the paint and would be a huge benefit for Day Day. Just think this team is long overdue for a breakout game from our shooters. Expecting many 3s from Staine, Jossell and Hayman tomorrow. Also looks like Jenkins is a player. He needs more minutes.

Ya. Jenkins appears to be the real deal. He (Jenkins) just needs a couple more "solid" 10-12 minute outings where he gets 6 - 9 points. On scale of 1 - 10 at center , Nana is about a 6.5. Rarely worse than 5, but equally as rare Nana could be a 7.5. Last night , it thought he was almost an 8 (B-B+) center material. If we could get that quality from Nana, consistently along with the type of guard play Cajuste provided down the stretch, we win a chunk of games.

If we ever click at 3-4 positions, look out.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

SFAJack_76 said:

This to me, "seems" to make a case for more Staine/Stone, playing a bigger role. Idk.

I'm a Big, huge DayDay fan. He's earned not only the respect for what he does, but the type of glue player he can be. We need him (Hall) to succeed. In the case that he's off for a few games, Stone 'em.
Rev007
You summed it up very well. This whole thing about pulling the player who commits the first foul is ludicrous. No wonder we have very slow starts in the majority of our games. Stone with 20 made buckets in a row needs to be featured in the offense more than currently. I'm also skeptical about mass substitutions. All my life, I've heard players talk about getting in a rhythm.

Anyway, not much I can do except go support our team and be thankful for wins, even against UTRGV. Just imagine how we would feel if we start losing those gimme games.

Starting 5 Suggestion:

Cajuste, Staine, Stone, Jossell, and Hall with Jenkins the first player off the bench and Nana the second substituttion.
SFAJack_76
"Cajuste, Staine, Stone, Jossell, and Hall with Jenkins the first player off the bench and Nana the second substitution."

I like it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.