SFA / UT - Rio Grande Valley

3,035 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (8-5,1-1) vs. UT-RGV (4-9,0-2)

WHEN: 1/4 (THU) 12:00P.M.
WHERE: UTRGV Fieldhouse (Edinburg, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

The SFA Lumberjacks have a midday game to start the new year and the main portion of the WAC schedule. The Jacks begin with the Vaqueros of UTRGV down in the valley. The trip down south is the hardest thing on paper about the game, but these Jacks have yet to catch a rhythm.

The Vaqueros are in the bottom 10% of the NCAA in most statistical categories. They are one of the worst 3 point shooting teams, they cannot protect the post and they send teams to the free throw line. Like last year, Elijah Elliot is still their best player. While they have played some teams close, they don't have a good win this year.

The Jacks are looking to have their first 4 win winning streak (granted one of those was Paul Quinn). This should be a repeat of the UNO game. Can we get a full 40 minutes from the team? Will we get consistent efforts across the board or will half the team be on while half the team is off?

This is a game to get us into positive territory in the WAC standings. We start January with four teams in a row with losing records that are at the bottom of the WAC. It's time to build confidence before Seattle and GCU come to Nac later this month.

Axe 'em!
No-look
Let's get that W!
BigJack85
UTRGV bigs are slow. Still, they are big. We can't have 28% FG rate. Should be easy, but nothing comes easy for a team that hasn't established a strong pattern.

I think we get the win. Hopefully it isn't a 2nd half rumble.

Axe'Em Jacks
No-look
Popcorn ready?
RichieVan
Four possessions, three turnovers. Ugh!
No-look
RichieVan said:

we shouldn't be doing that at this point in the season. Weak lob passes won't work in high school.
BigJack85
RichieVan said:

Not WAC ready. Yikes.
nacluth
Slow starts are our thing. Settle in and play.
nacluth
We don't have a dedicated ticket thread yet this year, but I've got family in if anyone wants to donate tickets to tonight's women's game.
No-look
Nana keeping us in it
MasterAxe
This team stinks,

(Use your discretion to apply statement to either team)
BigJack85
UTRGV having their most efficient game of the year. Ugh.
Rev007
Another slow start.
Rev007
Someone on here has been touting the skills of Jenkins. You are correct Sir! Maybe if he were starting, we wouldn't be digging ourselves out of a first half hole each game…just an idea
jboy93
We finally scored with a good shot as time ran out in a half!
Rev007
Uninspiring first half…have a come to Jesus meeting in the locker room…blow out UTRGV in the 2nd half.
RichieVan
Much better ball security in the latter part of the half, but 13 turnovers is unacceptable. Nana has been very good and I like Cajuste and Jenkins attacking the basket.
Rev007
Jenkins for Hayman as a starter. I like Hayman's defensive intensity, but way too inconsistent offensively.
No-look
Missing lots of shots under the bucket
BigJack85
We are garbage in close. Yikes.
SFA Jack Fanatic
How many uncontested or barely contested drives to the dadgum basket are we going to give up?!?! Pitiful defense on drives.
Rev007
Our team reminds me of the Church of Laodicea, neither hot nor cold (tending toward cold). Makes you want to spit.
TallTexan
Rev007 said:

Our team reminds me of the Church of Laodicea, neither hot nor cold (tending toward cold). Makes you want to spit.

I've been working and not able to watch the game but if we're going biblical on the references I'm just gonna assume it's not going well.
No-look
TallTexan said:

Rev007 said:

I've been working and not able to watch the game but if we're going biblical on the references I'm just gonna assume it's not going well.
we're kinda good and kinda bad. Lol
SFA Jack Fanatic
I was at the University of Houston vs. Penn game on Saturday. Compared to the 8-9 pure athletes that UH can run out there, coming home and watching this version of my beloved Jacks is rather depressing. (Don't hate me for saying that. It's just the truth.)
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I was at the University of Houston vs. Penn game on Saturday. Compared to the 8-9 pure athletes that UH can run out there, coming home and watching this version of my beloved Jacks is rather depressing. (Don't hate me for saying that. It's just the truth.)

A lot of this is shot making. We don't have a Kalcheries or Kensmil. Not the most athletic, but could make shots.
Rev007
Need more players like Staine.
Rev007
The Miracle of Staine and the Vaqueros.
nacluth
7 point win on the road just like we drew it up.
MasterAxe
Rev007 said:

The Miracle of Staine and the Vaqueros.
Top-notch band name.
RichieVan
Bad news: 20 turnovers and missing multiple shots at the hoop. Good news: 80% on free throws, Nana and Frank Staine.
nacluth
Nana 6 for 6 with 6 rebounds. I know there's lots of Nana doubters but he has stepped up his game significantly this year.
No-look
nacluth said:

7 point win on the road just like we drew it up.
I was never worried
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Nana 6 for 6 with 6 rebounds. I know there's lots of Nana doubters but he has stepped up his game significantly this year.

Agreed. 100%. Beaubrun made a nice dunk toward the end . Other than that , Beaubrun and Southwick didn't offer much.
SFAJack_76
That was ugly, but I'm not mad about it. I'm well on the way to the bargaining stage.

• denial.
  • anger.
  • bargaining.
  • depression.
  • acceptance
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.