Transfer Portal

672 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by SFASawmillGuy
Jacks1989
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The transfer portal can be brutal. Lamar's stud freshman Nate Calmese averaged 17.6 ppg, 31 mpg. and was the Southland Conference Freshman of the year last year. I watched a number of Lamar games last year and he is a fantastic ball player. He has moves like SFAs AJ Cajuste. He hit the transfer portal last summer and went to Washington. He is not playing much. Averaging 4 ppg, 10 mpg. There has been 5 games that he didn't even see the floor. I wonder if he is regretting his decision?
SFASawmillGuy
Jacks1989 said:

The transfer portal can be brutal. Lamar's stud freshman Nate Calmese averaged 17.6 ppg, 31 mpg. and was the Southland Conference Freshman of the year last year. I watched a number of Lamar games last year and he is a fantastic ball player. He has moves like SFAs AJ Cajuste. He hit the transfer portal last summer and went to Washington. He is not playing much. Averaging 4 ppg, 10 mpg. There has been 5 games that he didn't even see the floor. I wonder if he is regretting his decision?

It's unfortunate. Reminds me of TJ Holyfield leaving SFA to go to Tech, only to not be that big of an impact for the Red Raiders. Had he stayed at SFA there's a chance he becomes an NBA prospect with the numbers he likely would've put up.

The grass isn't always greener.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The NCAA is destroying collegiat athletics with the out-of-control transfer portal and non-existent rules around NIL.

Georgia's annialation of a depleted Florida State is a prime example of a result of the transfer portal idiocy. The Orange Bowl use to be a wonderful opportunity for a school to shine on national TV. Now almost all bowls other than the playoff bowl games are jokes.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The NCAA is destroying collegiat athletics with the out-of-control transfer portal and non-existent rules around NIL.

Georgia's annialation of a depleted Florida State is a prime example of a result of the transfer portal idiocy. The Orange Bowl use to be a wonderful opportunity for a school to shine on national TV. Now almost all bowls other than the playoff bowl games are jokes.

Well said. It's an absolute travesty.
SFASawmillGuy
I completely agree, but at this point finding a fix would be incredibly difficult. This isn't something that can be just taken away after it was given, it would cause a lot more controversy and kickback from the players than ever.

I suppose a fix could be to make players who opt out barring injury be ineligible for the portal and having to transfer under the old rules, but that would probably be easy to get around by players claiming injury or illness to allow them to sit out. I doubt the NCAA could ask for any kind of proof or anything of the injury or illness under HIPA.

Maybe limiting the number of transfers would help. Maybe just allowing one free transfer and then reverting to the old rules for all subsequent transfers. It could be on a case by case basis in case there's a legitimate reason for the transfer.

It's definitely going to be a big topic of discussion now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.