SFA / North American University

2,226 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by No-look
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Allow me to kick off the season with the first official game thread.

Yay!

Home team analysis: I think we are going to be good.
Away team analysis: They stink.

Prediction: Pain.

86-53 Jacks.

Let's have a season!
TalkingSports
I know I put it in the Ladyjacks thread but I will put it in here too. SFA basketball is back and I am very excited! Unfortunately, due to the timing of the game, I will not be able to attend/broadcast the game. They will have someone to cover my play-by-play duties and Buckets will still cover color commentary. If you have any questions or comments just let me know. Otherwise, let's have a great season opener!
Jacks1989
95-42 Jacks!
Jyank24
Posted on the wrong game thread… oops
No-look
Ready for some bb
jboy93
Cajuste not starting?
jboy93
Going to be A LOT of substitutions all game!
SFA88
Snow College is in Utah not Alaska.
jboy93
If Day Day had Nana's size...that would be fun to see!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Myles Jenkins not playing. Disappointing. I really wanted to see him.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Several of the guys are bulkier than I am used to seeing in recent years. We should control the paint in a lot of games.
SFA88
Southwick is from Alaska. Can someone tell the website people that the abbreviation for Alaska is AK not Ala. Good grief it represents the University you can't get elementary school stuff wrong.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here's something we haven't seen recently. Guys who can make free throws. We're 9 for 9.
SFA Jack Fanatic
At the half, 11 guys have played, 11 guys have scored. Up 54-22.
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

At the half, 11 guys have played, 11 guys have scored. Up 54-22.
So we only have one person on the roster that did not dress?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Keller can't be happy with the first 4 minutes of this half. Sloppy. Poor shooting.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm having trouble getting use to Day Day's new short hair.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Keller can't be happy with the first 4 minutes of this half. Sloppy. Poor shooting.

Apparently we are just going to spend this half running up and down the floor.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks are a different team in this half. Not in a good way.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks have been outscored in this half.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks are a different team in this half. Not in a good way.

Ugly.
MasterAxe
Not a terribly inspiring 2nd half.
SFA88
They're just playing with their food, now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks giving up wide open shots from outside.
SFA Jack Fanatic
This has not been a pretty half of basketball. Understatement.
SFA Jack Fanatic
North American's 3-point shooting has been lights out this half.
MasterAxe
Let's OVERREACT TO THE FIRST GAME!

20 turnovers.
33% three point shooting
71% free throw shooting.
Outscored in 2nd half.

None of those are super ideal.

While I joke that that is an overreaction, certainly the 3 PT and FT shooting numbers have been a sneaky issue for a couple of years.

Just file those concerns away for later, just to see if we improve either.
No-look
Everyone seeing action. Sloppy second half but looked like Keller just let them play. It will get better. 96 is not too bad. Turnovers wasn't pretty but that will change.
SFA Jack Fanatic
North American was 15-30 on 3's for the game. We gave WAY too many open looks from downtown. That HAS to be corrected. You can bet your bippy that it will be addressed ASAP by Keller's staff.
SFAJack_76
This is the same North American that lost by 20, on November 1, to the College of Bible Studies. Dallas Christian College only beat them by 4 on October 26.

Of course it's way too early to judge a lot. We were really bad in the second half against a very low level team that out hustled us, and, frankly, outplayed us.

We have a bunch of really good basketball players. I don't know yet if we have a good basketball team.
BigJack85
What I witnessed, was Keller running guys in and out like a crazy man. I didn't see what I think will be one of his starting lineups: Cajuste, Jossell, Hayman, Staine and Beaubrun/Nana. Maybe I missed that. Didn't see Keller use the combo I just mentioned.

I won't make to many harsh judgments on the 2nd half dumpster fire. It felt like Keller was "testing" lineups.

I liked what Wilson showed. Looks like Wilson could hold down the point in a pinch. Cajuste had some lapses. Which should be remedied easily. Jossell didn't heat up past the arch. That was a hole. Huge hole. He needs to be above 40% . Hopefully he can replicate last seasons 42%.

What was the group's impression of the bigs? I thought Beaubrun had a few moments. Nana could have gotten better. Southwick hands were stiff.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I was not impressed with Beaubrun. I'll borrow your "stiff" term and apply it to his overall play. Nana looked like Nana. I thought Southwick was the best of the three. Just my opinion.

BTW, I'll inject here that Stone has a body to die for. That guy is stacked. 235 pounds of all muscle. And he's only a junior.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I was not imptessed with Beaubrun. I'll borrow your "stiff" term and apply it to him. Nana looked like Nana. I thought Southwick was the best of the three. Just my opinion.

A couple times Southwick made good moves to the bucket. A couple times he looked timid. Not sure of himself. I think Southwick can speed up his game. That should help him get inside more. What interests me about Southwick, is to see if he has a mid-range game. That would be beneficial.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Myles Jenkins not playing. Disappointing. I really wanted to see him.

Matt Atkins reported that Jenkins sat this one out due to concussion protocols. Good to see that (I assume) it's nothing long term.
No-look
Interesting thing that Keller said in the post game. Mentioned that neither opposing team scored over 60 in the two scrimmages. That's a defensive positive.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.