SFA / Utah Tech - WACVegas Round 1

10,638 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Jacks will take on the Utah Tech Trailblazers Tuesday night at 10pm on ESPN+ for the first round of the WAC tournament.

The Jacks are in for a tough but doable first round matchup against the 11th seed. The first time the Jacks cruised to a 13 point victory with essentially the same lineup. (Nana got into foul trouble early, playing 17 minutes with 5 rebounds and one point.) Hall went 20 and 10.

However, the Jacks are coming off some severe blows to their confidence. Nana's loss, a tough week against the best teams in the WAC, and the ugly 44 point loss. Do the Jacks have any spark to reignite their momentum?

It's tough when the Jacks know that past this game they would have to play the top three seeds in 3, 2, 1 order. Those are the three teams that they couldn't beat in the regular season. But, it's a new season. Anything can happen.

The Jacks have had something that they have wanted to prove all year long. Now is their chance to do it.

Axe 'em!
SFA Jack Fanatic
I have to admit that my confidence level this season has not been lower than it is right now. All of the injuries, player departures, and the blowout the other night has me feeling lower than a snake's belly in a mudhole.

I think that the Jacks' chances of pulling off one or two wins in Vegas rest in... 1) Day Day being able to be anywhere near his normal self and... 2) Jossell and Hawkins both having decent games at the same time.
TallTexan
10pm?

Don't they know I'm old?
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

10pm?

Don't they know I'm old?

Yeah, that's a rough time for us Central time folk. I really want to watch the Seattle vs UTA wbb game tonight but it's at 10. Oh, well...ITS MARCH MADNESS!
Ljacks&Longnecks
I don't feel like the UVU blowout will carry any negative effects. If anything might provide incentive as we could face them again in Vegas.
More concerned about how Day Day can perform and without Nana even less height than usual. Outside shooting will be a necessary requirement if we are to contend.
At this point I have no grand illusion of taking 4 games in 4 days but a win or two is certainly possible if all cylinders are firing.
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

10pm?

Don't they know I'm old?

Yeah, that's a rough time for us Central time folk. I really want to watch the Seattle vs UTA wbb game tonight but it's at 10. Oh, well...ITS MARCH MADNESS!
Kind of rough on those of us in the Eastern time zone. Double for oldies. LOL But it IS March Madness! That beats everything else in my house.
nacluth
Game Day!

This may be a game of who gets the first big punch in. Utah Tech is definitely going to try to come out swinging and see if we have any doubts left over from the UVU game. If we can pop them instead…

The Jacks really just need one good win to get some swagger. We have the ability to put the hammer down tonight, and if we do, it will make the next game easier.

Let's get something rolling.
No-look
Come out strong early. In the UVU game we turned the ball over first three possessions and it set the tone…Punch them in the mouth early!
nacluth
Just a heads up. Because of the start time of the game before, don't be surprised if tip off isn't closer to 10:30 CST.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Just a heads up. Because of the start time of the game before, don't be surprised if tip off isn't closer to 10:30 CST.

Ugh. Ugh.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

That was the start time of the final game last night. So glad I stayed up & watched it though, even if I was a zombie at work today!
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

nacluth said:

That was the start time of the final game last night. So glad I stayed up & watched it though, even if I was a zombie at work today!
But you're a Lumberjack, which means you couldn't possibly look like a zombie. :-)
jboy93
10:45 start!
No-look
So the game will be over about 1:00 and it will be an hour before I can calm down and go to sleep. Traveling to San Antonio tomorrow for state tourney. Life is good.
TallTexan
I thought Day Day was out for the season.
No-look
Score early and few turnovers
Ljacks&Longnecks
Soon as Day Day hits the court, immediate foul. Need him to stay on court.
nacluth
New plan: have Roti dribble into all their players to get them into foul trouble.
nacluth
11-7 UTU at first media. This is their punch. Time to fight back.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Terrible camera work. One would expect better in a tournament. The scorekeeper is asleep, too.
nacluth
A bunch of ugly shots so far. Got to get it through the rim.
nacluth
11-9 second media. Not a lot happening for either side.
No-look
Yep.
BigJack85
Shooting woes…. Ugh. Someone please heat up.
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Terrible camera work. One would expect better in a tournament.
Thought our crew followed them to Vegas! lol They have got to lose the "WACVegas".
nacluth
Being doubled up 9 minutes in. Looking very ugly.
PurpleOut
Staff
Brutal start for Jalil. Yikes.
MasterAxe
Oh, hey, a crappy start against an inferior team.

Great job everyone
nacluth
DayDay not shooting.
jboy93
Did someone mention that we HAD to shoot well!
nacluth
19-13 UTU at under 8 media first half. SFA now in bonus.
SFASawmillGuy
Hate hearing how while we have one of the best defenses how awful our offense is at turning over the ball. We need to bring in a good offensive assistant who can clean that up moving forward. Part of that is what I said earlier in a different thread, our team really needs more time to mesh as a team.
nacluth
Jossell, Hawkins and Hall combining for 4 points so far.
BigJack85
You don't realize how much you miss Nana's minutes. Even with the occasional fumble fingers.
RedRiverLa
Having broadcast a gazzilion double AA minor league baseball games on TV for our local city, it takes less than 2 minutes for the announcers to ask an assistant in pregame to pronounce all the names phonetically so they can write that down. Bad pronunciation = lazy announcers. Teznado? Tezeeno? At least go with the same wrong one. I'm out cause It's late and I'm old. I'll dream of a victory.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.