SFA / Grand Canyon

4,470 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FIRST PLACE JACKS! 4-0.
Jacks1989
Great day at The Saw Mill! First Place Jacks!
No-look
Great win!
No-look
Now we can move up one point in the net rankings
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

I detect some sarcasm.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

I detect some sarcasm.
. Yep. Lol
MasterAxe
Nice game to be in attendance for.

Solid crowd, even got rowdy at times.

Good win for us, scoring 70+ and hitting just 2 three's.
RedRiverLa
Probably the best high level game I've witnessed at the Sawmill in years. Just a pleasure to watch two solid teams, GCU is a beast - so proud of the Lumberjacks for this win. Both defenses were firing on all cylinders.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFAXE93
Attendance - 3,286
nacluth
Updated NET after Saturday's games.

No-look
nacluth said:

Updated NET after Saturday's games.

. This makes NO sense whatsoever. NMS 0-4 and still ahead of us. Some teams list and gained ground…
nacluth
We were at 185 (season low 189) to start WAC play. Four straight wins have moved us up 34 points to our season high 151.

New Mexico State was at 92 (season high 77) to start WAC play. Four straight losses have dropped them 58 points to their season low 150.

The NET is heavily dominated by initial seeding to start the year and takes almost the whole season to work itself out.
Jacks1989
Hopefully you're correct that it will work it self out. I still think this system is garbage. Absolutely no way NMSU should be above the Jacks.
Jacks1989
Rewatching the game from yesterday. The last 3 minutes of the first half was huge. Great play and no let down going into the half. AJ is a layup machine. Robbie was talking trash. Love his energy.
nacluth
Here's a comparison between us, NMSU and Southern Utah. You'll notice that in most rating systems that SFA is higher than both teams, but not in NET. Almost all of this comes down to NET Strength of Schedule. You can see we haven't played any game higher than Q3 where the other teams have.

NMSU has 5 top 100 games (lost all 5) with an average loss to NET 103. Southern Utah played 3 top 100 games (lost all 3) with an average loss to NET 99. SFA has played 1 top 100 game (beat 99 GCU) but has an average loss to NET 171.

Jacks1989
Thanks for posting this.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

We were at 185 (season low 189) to start WAC play. Four straight wins have moved us up 34 points to our season high 151.

New Mexico State was at 92 (season high 77) to start WAC play. Four straight losses have dropped them 58 points to their season low 150.

The NET is heavily dominated by initial seeding to start the year and takes almost the whole season to work itself out.

The initial seeding plus home losses to #201 and #263. For the season to date, I have no complaint about where we are.

Just win.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Here's a comparison between us, NMSU and Southern Utah. You'll notice that in most rating systems that SFA is higher than both teams, but not in NET. Almost all of this comes down to NET Strength of Schedule. You can see we haven't played any game higher than Q3 where the other teams have.

NMSU has 5 top 100 games (lost all 5) with an average loss to NET 103. Southern Utah played 3 top 100 games (lost all 3) with an average loss to NET 99. SFA has played 1 top 100 game (beat 99 GCU) but has an average loss to NET 171.

This all goes back to my comment last week, if the conference wants this to work better then they are going to have to put in some work and help their schools. It's hurting us currently, but anyone can be in this situation. LOSING to a good team is better than WINNING against an average or bad team evidently. So if that's the case, help programs get those Quad1 games that we were unable to get this season.

The losses to Alcorn State and NWST are going to kill us. That's still on us in the end, but would either of those teams keep within 10 points of us right now? I don't think so.

The system can still work itself out perhaps, but based on the last week, I don't have any faith that we can get a top seed...even by winning out. A lot of people on social media last week seemed pretty confident that if we could beat both NMSU and GCU that we'd be at the top. Definitely wasn't the case and wasn't even close. SFA beating GCU at home didn't have that much of a greater impact than Sam Houston beating Tarleton at home.

It's crazy that an injury plagued team losing in November could have this kind of impact on it's seeding in it's conference tournament in March.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

It's crazy that an injury plagued team losing in November could have this kind of impact on it's seeding in it's conference tournament in March.
Your last sentence lays bare the lunacy in this system.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

PurpleOut said:

Your last sentence lays bare the lunacy in this system.
Think the formula they used may have put too heavy a thumb on the scale.

And your absolutely right, the conference needs to help every team juice the OOC schedule to lower the disparity.
nacluth
Yep, it's taken me going to https://wacsports.com/sports/mbkb/2022-23/202223MBBResumeSeeding to see how they rank games. Scroll down and it will show you the values for every game.

If we sweep the series with Sam, we just might catch them if we have an even record with them from there, but that's a four game discrepancy. There's no way that we could end up behind a team by 15 points of NET rankings at the end of the season, have 3-4 wins more in conference, and get seeded behind them.
nacluth
Blacksher out for the season. Massive blow for GCU. May have just cost them a run at the conference. I really saw them as about the third best team like last year, but losing Jovan is huge.
No-look
nacluth said:

Blacksher out for the season. Massive blow for GCU. May have just cost them a run at the conference. I really saw them as about the third best team like last year, but losing Jovan is huge.
Hate to hear of injuries to players. Lots of hard work put in and season ends too soon. GCU will still be a force but that's gonna hurt them.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.