SFA / North American

3,300 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Clear video here pballs
Jacks1989
My video is clear also. Broadcast guys doing good.
Pilotgirl
Pretty sure Cade Haac joined Chase again for this game. He's done some soccer and baseball broadcasts.
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

Pretty sure Cade Haac joined Chase again for this game. He's done some soccer and baseball broadcasts.

Whatever the case, it was an improvement
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
BigJack85 said:

No-look said:

There's someone in my immediate household that's calling me crazy. A 72 year old driving 60 mile round trip on a cold rainy night alone. To watch what should be a blowout win. Am I responsible for my actions? Lol

You the man. Absolute loyalty.

I am close to retiring. I plan to move away from the "concrete jungle" that is Houston. Hopefully, within 30-40 mile radius of WRJ.

I feel that, being within 40 miles will allow me to make 10-12 home games a season.
I retire in 2023, and I plan to move back to the piney woods of Northeast Texas, make it a 4 hour round trip drive as opposed to an 8 hour.
SFAXE93
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Whatever the case, it was an improvement

This.

Haac all day over DT.
SpeakingTruth
what is my issue, how can I improve? Although we call SFA games we are supposed to be a neutral broadcast. I model my broadcast after Mark Jackson and Richard Jefferson. I don't know how many NBA on TNT, ESPN or Spectrum Sportsnet games you all watch but I love the feedback. I will tell you, I'm my defense I've never received a word of criticism from the players , coaches or relatives of the players. I've been contacted by the NCAA to call a tournament game this year. I've been contacted by multiple universities to come and be their voice. I'm only defending my name and the hard work I put in. I am simply a young man /former athlete trying to perfect his craft. I speak for the true understanders of the game and when I broadcast its from the perspective of an athlete. So again I'll ask how can I improve to you al?l because if you just want me to ride SFA and read stats that's not how I roll. I actually give analysis and reasoning as to why something happens in the game from the perspective of an athlete. If you all in this forum think that you could do better, why isn't your career path broadcasting or sports? I work really hard with chase and I'm currently sick. Cade is good but I get the feeling that y'all would rather hear a different type of "voice". But again I'll ask how can I improve because for every "DT this, DT that", I'm shown love by the relatives of players , coaches, and current players about how much they love Chase and I.
PurpleOut
Staff
SpeakingTruth said:

what is my issue, how can I improve? Although we call SFA games we are supposed to be a neutral broadcast. I model my broadcast after Mark Jackson and Richard Jefferson. I don't know how many NBA on TNT, ESPN or Spectrum Sportsnet games you all watch but I love the feedback. I will tell you, I'm my defense I've never received a word of criticism from the players , coaches or relatives of the players. I've been contacted by the NCAA to call a tournament game this year. I've been contacted by multiple universities to come and be their voice. I'm only defending my name and the hard work I put in. I am simply a young man /former athlete trying to perfect his craft. I speak for the true understanders of the game and when I broadcast its from the perspective of an athlete. So again I'll ask how can I improve to you al?l because if you just want me to ride SFA and read stats that's not how I roll. I actually give analysis and reasoning as to why something happens in the game from the perspective of an athlete. If you all in this forum think that you could do better, why isn't your career path broadcasting or sports? I work really hard with chase and I'm currently sick. Cade is good but I get the feeling that y'all would rather hear a different type of "voice". But again I'll ask how can I improve because for every "DT this, DT that", I'm shown love by the relatives of players , coaches, and current players about how much they love Chase and I.
You can't be quite so defensive. I get it, I did the same thing when I was young, but you'll have to learn to take the criticism and let comments you don't like slide off. Just like athletes, musicians, comedians, etc who have hecklers in the stands. Asking for feedback is good, but remember everyone is going to have their own opinion. Especially for tv people. Everyone has a style that they like/dislike. And that's fine.

I actually have a degree in broadcasting. There are TV crews that I love, some that I have a hard time listening to. From basketball, to football, to soccer. Again everyone is different, which means not everyone will like your style. We don't know you as a person the way the players/coaches do, but they aren't listening to the broadcast during the game either when we are.

You can read through most of the game threads and see most posters here that have given an opinion on our broadcasts, have pretty similar comments. You talk a lot man, you're actually over-talking Chase. So much that you end up saying, "sorry for interrupting." Let him finish the call before adding commentary.

I'm not going to address the "different type of voice" comment that you are insinuating. We hope you feel better and hope you can come back and continue to put in the work to get better at your craft. Just because someone has an opinion that they like something different, doesn't mean you are doing a bad job. That goes for anyone in any career.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SpeakingTruth said:

A bit too defensive, much?

Don't visit sports fan forums.. Problem solved.
SFAXE93
SpeakingTruth
I actually read the forum all the time. And have just responded for the first time ever.
No-look
SpeakingTruth said:

I actually read the forum all the time. And have just responded for the first time ever.
in the world we live in everyone has opinions. Cant please all the people all the time. I love Tony and Mike on PTI while others may not…I appreciate the time and effort that you guys put in. Keep working and improving… and keep coming back to the forum when y'all need expert advice lol
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

At the end, AJ gives a shout out to Daveon Scott. "A freshman who's going to be really good".
nacluth
SpeakingTruth said:

I don't think I've ever weighed in with a commentary opinion. (Sorry if I have.) I'm blessed that I get to see most home games live.

However, the few that I have watched this season, I enjoyed the telecast. I will say generally speaking that color commentary is harder to sound good than the play by play even if being able to call the plays may take more skill. (I don't know.) It sounds to me like y'all are skilled but still just need more experience as a team and honing your craft. I'm still working on my craft every day after 15+ years, you're getting better at yours. If you take anything constructive from here, it's just this: know that there's always room for improvement. You're going to be great at what you do.

And don't let the opinions of a fan forum bother you too much. We expect a lot from our players, school, and broadcast team because we want them to be the best. We can also be quite free with our tongues (fingers) and very self-focused even when we think we're talking about the good of the school.

Thanks for taking the time to engage with us. We know you love SFA. Keep it up.
SpeakingTruth
Thank you !
purpleballs
This may be the total opposite of what it takes to be in broadcasting but the best advice I got when I started teaching/coaching was to "be yourself". Like i said broadcasting can be a form of entertainment I guess. But in my profession kids would be able to tell if I was just acting and wouldn't be taken as serious.

Just my two cents and like I said I could be totally wrong in this case.
djsfw57
TalkingSports said:

Thank you guys for letting us know. Getting it fixed now.

Please let me know if any more issues occur or if it is getting better. Thanks!
I will say my normal listening level is about 24 on my tv. During the games, however, I have to turn it up to 50 just to hear it comfortably. The output is very low.
SFA, Class of 1979
BigJack85
SpeakingTruth said:

You guys are making positive strides. That's all I ask for.

Most of us are complete diehards. Personally, I'm fine with a fairly neutral broadcast. That being said "fairly" neutral means 60% SFA 40% visitor.

I've been "mostly listening" to Lumberjack basketball until about 10 years Being able to watch AND listen is a bonus. Living in Houston, I make about 2-3 games a season, in person.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.