SFA / Northwestern State

5,880 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jacks1989
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hope Roti is ok.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Can someone tell Nana it's ok for him to jump for a rebound? Goodness man.

Hahahaha. Yes please
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
Not much really to say or take from that. Northwestern State is pretty decent, but they won't play that well again all season. They were unconscious offensively, so just have to tip the cap to them for the night.

I wish we didn't have any games until January, we've only got 3 actual healthy players. I wouldn't expect Jossell or Posey back before conference play at the very earliest. How do you get a bunch of guys to 100% without holding them out of everything? I have no idea.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Northwestern beat TCU and now has won 5 in a row.

Lumberjacks don't play a D1 team for 2 weeks then get La Tech and Furman. A good time to heal up and refocus.

Agree. We need a roster if at least 10.
Jacks1989
So let me get this right.

1. Our stud transfer walks out 1 week before the season starts.

2. Day Day starts the season injured and wearing shoulder pads. He still doesn't look the same as last year. I read the injury was from some drill in practice? I don't know if that's correct.

3. Jalil plays 2 games and goes down with an injury. Still haven't heard what the issue is.

4. Jossell has not played in 4 games. Injured? Who knows what the injury is? Mums the word.

5. Posey doesn't play tonight. Not sure why? I guess we want find out.

6. Roti goes down tonight with an ankle injury.

On the bright side, with all this going on our Jacks score 96 points tonight and lose by 6.

The guys fought till the end. AJ had a big game.
MasterAxe
Through the first 8 games, this team has shown me nothing that says we won't be anything but mediocre.

We'll win a few and get excited...then promptly lay a few eggs in a row and come back to Earth.

This team is destined for a 16-14 type year.

At least, so far.
PurpleOut
Staff
TalkingSports said:

Question to those who have been watching the guy's game and the women's on ESPN+. How do we sound? Some have said we sound very quiet. Just checking. Thanks.

Sounded fine to me. Can you call the games by yourself though instead?
Jacks1989
Sound was fine on my end.
nacluth
Here's my meaningless 4-4 assessment. Feel free to skip.

This team has a lot of good players. I feel like every game any player could go 10+pts/5reb. I'm not positive about Armbrester or Beaubrun yet, but they both seem to be real players. It may be the most skilled players I've seen on a SFA team at one time.

We are not a team yet. (How could we with the injuries?) Just a lot of decent talent that hasn't really gotten it locked in. Some games are good, some stinkers, some, like tonight, in between. We don't have a leader.

This team reminds me a lot of our last NCAA team. Good talent: Kevon, Bogues, Holyfield, Comeaux but it took most of the year for John to cement his place as leader. We all kept waiting for TJ or Kevon to take the role, but that season, they were just talent. A mostly up nonconference slate with some hairpulling duds. Finished 3rd in the Southland.

We have to get healthy. We have to get locked into a system. But mainly, we need a leader. Kevon and Kensmil are gone. John and David aren't here. Who's going to step up?

If we can solve that question, it might be our year again. If not, like Master said, it may look more like the leaderless team after Augustin quit. A .500 team. Like we are now.
Pilotgirl
You mean John (instead of Dallas)?
nacluth
Yep. You're right. Comeaux. Edited. Thanks.
No-look
wahlwesle said:

MasterAxe said:

I do have a more serious question:

How are we always multiple players down or not 100%?

We are 8 games in an it feels like everyone is hurt all the time.

I mean, what is happening at practice? Or during workouts?

I feel the same way as you. This ain't just a problem this year. It seems to always happen. I know our coaches like to teach hustle during practice, but maybe we take it a little too far? You'd think having a dedicated strength and conditioning coach would help keep our guys from getting injured so much.
I'm reminded of that show I used to watch called MASH. The first thing I do when entering the arena is see who has a boot on.
RedRiverLa
Still with all said, injuries, etc., which I agree with, it still floors me that we let a team, even with their shooting unconsciousness score an entire games worth of points just in the second half. 71. Plus, we were playing Missouri State, not NSU. Their coach spent 7 years on the MSU staff and brought a host of MSU players and Missouri players with him. Guaranteed most of NSU players can't pronounce, much less spell Natchitoches.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Jacks1989
Finally saw the box score. AJ had 27 points! Congrats young man.
SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

Still with all said, injuries, etc., which I agree with, it still floors me that we let a team, even with their shooting unconsciousness score an entire games worth of points just in the second half. 71. Plus, we were playing Missiouri State, not NSU. Their coach spent 7 years on the MSU staff and brought a host of MSU players and Missouri players with him. Guaranteed most of NSU players can't pronounce, much less spell Natchitoches.

Great observation. I knew their best players were Missouri State transfers, but I didn't know their coach was, too. I was wondering why so many of them transferred to the same place. BTW, their top guy was a stud puppy.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

RedRiverLa said:

Still with all said, injuries, etc., which I agree with, it still floors me that we let a team, even with their shooting unconsciousness score an entire games worth of points just in the second half. 71. Plus, we were playing Missiouri State, not NSU. Their coach spent 7 years on the MSU staff and brought a host of MSU players and Missouri players with him. Guaranteed most of NSU players can't pronounce, much less spell Natchitoches.

Great observation. I knew their best players were Missouri State transfers, but I didn't know their coach was, too. I was wondering why so many of them transferred to the same place. BTW, their top guy was a stud puppy.

Watching Keller's press conference, gave me a little bit of confidence that he has a plan. Once we regain health, maybe we'll play at a high (WAC) level.
RedRiverLa
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

RedRiverLa said:

Watching Keller's press conference, gave me a little bit of confidence that he has a plan. Once we regain health, maybe we'll play at a high (WAC) level.

I completely agree! He pretty much was disgusted by it and echoed all our feelings.
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
Posey-broken hand
Jalil-broken foot
Robbie-planters fasciitis
Roti-ACL/rolled ankle/calf strain
Day Day-shoulder limiting movement
Tezeno-foot injury
Jossell-unaccounted injury

Just listing what Keller listed in the interview. AJ, Hayman, Nigel, Nana were not mentioned as being injured but he did grant that these guys weren't supposed to be starters/putting in so many minutes. But, they have to step up.

It will be interesting if our practice squad guys will suit up just to fill out the roster some. Daveon, Hyman, and Walker may work for just sheer minutes against Paul Quinn.
MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

RedRiverLa said:

He may have a plan, but this entire season hangs on whether our guys are healthy.

Through 8 games, I have seen nothing that even comes close to signifying that we are ever going to be a full-strength this year.
Jacks1989
Posey has a broken hand. Any idea when or if he will be back?
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

When Alcorn State and NW State meet in the Final Four, we're gonna remember when they played in Nac.

#neverforget
Good intel - I had them bowing out in the elite 8 and Paul Quinn advancing,
Lumberjack Battalion
SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

MasterAxe said:

When Alcorn State and NW State meet in the Final Four, we're gonna remember when they played in Nac.

#neverforget

Everyone's suddenly a comedian. Might as well be.

BTW, as I'm typing this I'm stranded in a dead car on the side of I-10 near Beaumont waiting for AAA while heading home from attending the games last night. Things just keeps getting better and better for me!!
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

RedRiverLa said:

MasterAxe said:

#neverforget

BTW, as I'm typing this I'm stranded in a dead car on the side of I-10 near Beaumont waiting for AAA while heading home from attending the games last night. Things just keeps getting better and better for me!!

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
nacluth
Insult to injury Ed. Sorry.
RedRiverLa
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

RedRiverLa said:

MasterAxe said:

#neverforget

Humor hides the tears...
Lumberjack Battalion
PurpleOut
Staff
Definitely disheartening listening to Keller. You can obviously hear the frustration in his voice. And unfortunately there's really not much anyone can do about it.

Jossell is sitting with some sort of abdomen issue.
BigJack85
8 days without a game. Leads up to Paul Quinn. We should be healthy enough to handle Paul Quinn, unless we drop down to 6 guys.

Get healthy enough to play LaTech and Furman with a little swagger.
cboothe09
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

RedRiverLa said:

MasterAxe said:

#neverforget

Not sure what's worse, the dead car or being stranded anywhere near Beaumont?
Jacks1989
Looking over the stats last night.

Nana - 36 minutes- 5 Rebounds
Day Day - 29 minutes - 8 Rebounds
Robbie - 12 minutes - 5 rebounds

Robbie getting limited minutes and hurt gets 5 rebounds. Wonder how he will look when healthy and getting close to 20 minutes?

Day Day is just a warrior. Shoulder issues and playing 29 minutes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.